Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 12:25 PM

924 posts, read 2,604,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
I'll bet that the holes were already there. I doubt you needed to drill the holes yourself. Did you?
There are lots of new cars that don't come with holes in the bumper and the dealer ends up doing it. Dealers are often careless and drill the holes crooked. Either way you have a human with a drill hacking up a brand new bumper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2013, 04:34 PM

978 posts, read 2,054,242 times
I'm on the fence about front plates. On one hand, I can understand how it makes an officer's job easier or how it makes it easier to catch hit and run drivers. However, on the other hand, it definitely makes certain cars look uglier. I'd hate to drive a nice sports car, only to be required to install a front plate.

Old 07-29-2013, 05:52 PM

15,432 posts, read 25,814,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tercel95 View Post
There are lots of new cars that don't come with holes in the bumper and the dealer ends up doing it. Dealers are often careless and drill the holes crooked. Either way you have a human with a drill hacking up a brand new bumper.
That's news to me. I had no idea that they put out different bumpers for different states. I thought that to save money, every car model got the same bumper, no matter whether that state has front plates or not. You're telling me that since the majority of states require front plates, that every dealer has to drill holes in every car in those states before selling them?

Old 07-30-2013, 05:22 AM

924 posts, read 2,604,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
That's news to me. I had no idea that they put out different bumpers for different states. I thought that to save money, every car model got the same bumper, no matter whether that state has front plates or not. You're telling me that since the majority of states require front plates, that every dealer has to drill holes in every car in those states before selling them?
They don't put out bumpers for different states. They all come without holes and yes the dealers drill them. Most of the time they will do it as soon as they take delivery of the car, that is why most of the cars on the lot already have the plate brackets. If you are ordering a new car, as in one that hasn't been built yet, you can specify to the dealer not to drill the holes. I usually fabricate something on my own that doesn't require drilling.

Old 07-30-2013, 11:36 AM

169 posts, read 284,143 times
Most new cars come with tiny indentations in the bumpers where the holes should be drilled. You can see them on cars without front plates on the dealers lots. That is where the dealer is supposed to drill. Anyway, I am against front tags because they make most cars now days look ugly. Looks are more important to me, but thats just my opinion.

Old 07-30-2013, 04:24 PM

1,900 posts, read 5,906,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moparknighthawk View Post
Most new cars come with tiny indentations in the bumpers where the holes should be drilled. You can see them on cars without front plates on the dealers lots. That is where the dealer is supposed to drill. Anyway, I am against front tags because they make most cars now days look ugly. Looks are more important to me, but thats just my opinion.
My old Prizm had those. I wanted to put on a front plate bracket so I just put in some self-tapping screws of some sort, didn't even drill. Lined up more or less perfectly. My '02 Chevy truck came from the factory with the holes in the bumper but no bracket, and they all did, no matter the state. Plate just screws into the bumper.

Old 07-30-2013, 04:53 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Funny, I have no idea whether they are required or not. I know some places I have lived required them, but i never put them on. If a car came with front plates I do not take them off. I just do not know whether they are required. I think they must not be in California because my Camaro I bought new there came with no front plate holder at all. .

Old 07-30-2013, 04:54 PM

15,432 posts, read 25,814,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moparknighthawk View Post
Most new cars come with tiny indentations in the bumpers where the holes should be drilled. You can see them on cars without front plates on the dealers lots. That is where the dealer is supposed to drill.
I see. I didn't understand what was meant until I saw this post. Now I understand what was meant. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive