Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 03:12 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,205,533 times

Advertisements

Why would you want to lease a car like that anyway..It is just throwing money away
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2013, 11:30 PM

3,135 posts, read 11,894,623 times
Leasing is awesome.

Best way to know if you got a fair deal, shop 3+ dealers. Get quotes for a sign and drive ($0 down, first month included, 35 months remaining) on the same exact car. You'll know quickly which dealer to negotiate with.

July numbers for a C250 2dr with 15k miles a year (from ridewithg.com):

36 Month – Residual 63% of MSRP – .00129 Base Rate

Find a lease calculator and start entering in numbers using the above info, you'll know what you should be paying.

Old 07-23-2013, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crestliner View Post
Why would you want to lease a car like that anyway..It is just throwing money away

Owning a car like that outside warranty and paying for tires/maintenance is throwing away money. The car has a 63% residual, makes a great car to lease.

Old 07-23-2013, 11:45 PM

4,792 posts, read 8,190,523 times
Quote:
If they can afford it great. Who wouldn't love to be seen in a nice car like that? I personally would never lease. I don't want to get boxed in to a car for say 36 months. Ever try to trade during the period of a lease? In my area the 12k milage just wouldn't do!!

Old 07-23-2013, 11:51 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,205,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
If they can afford it great. Who wouldn't love to be seen in a nice car like that? I personally would never lease. I don't want to get boxed in to a car for say 36 months. Ever try to trade during the period of a lease? In my area the 12k milage just wouldn't do!!
yea 250 miles a week maximum limit isnt enough to do anything in if you drive it to work...thats only about 33 miles a day average....Big money not to be able to even drive it...............or pay out the gazola if you exceed the millage..something like 50 cents a mile or some outrageous charge Im sure...

Old 07-24-2013, 12:03 AM

You guys don't know how to lease. I've leased Subarus with 10k miles a year, knowing I'll put 15k on them. Why? They have incredible resale in Colorado, I have equity after the 36 months. People who know how the game works don't turn in their car after 36 months. You get equity out of it by having a dealer buying it more than your buyout, assuming you lease the right vehicle. It's a numbers game, but in the end, I get it work out much cheaper than doing a 5 year loan on the same vehicle.

If you keep your cars for 7+ years, leasing isn't for you. If you want the latest tech and safety features at the lowest price possible and don't drive a ton of miles, leasing is great. Never put $ down, lease a car with 60% residual, and get lots of quotes.

Old 07-24-2013, 08:28 AM

15,802 posts, read 20,513,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
Mine is my 3rd car.

I have a paid-off daily driver that's reliable as hell. I live my daily life with this car. It will last me a while so no plans to ditch it soon, plus I can do my own maintanence and repairs.

I wanted a great NEW weekend car that i could keep like new and barely drive. I just didn't want to pay $700+/month for it to sit either. Weekend rolls around, gorgeous weather, i take the Benz and enjoy every second of it. When time is up, i either get another, or just turn it in and free up garage space.

My point is some may argue why leasing is a waste, but for some people it works for their circumstances. Some people like to go on fancy vacations every year to relax. My way to unwind is a nice car.

Old 07-24-2013, 09:32 AM

5,075 posts, read 11,077,437 times
Quote:
yea 250 miles a week maximum limit isnt enough to do anything in if you drive it to work...thats only about 33 miles a day average....big money not to be able to even drive it...............or pay out the gazola if you exceed the millage..something like 50 cents a mile or some outrageous charge im sure...
$0.25

Old 07-24-2013, 02:53 PM

1,171 posts, read 2,161,917 times
Leasing is largely misunderstood, if you are flipping cars in anything less than 5 years, leasing is far cheaper. We've leased VW's for years, it's a set cost, and we get a new car every 1.5 yrs as we lease 2 cars for 36 mo., 18 months apart. We never have to pay 1 penny more than our monthly payment and never have to worry about long-term expenses of a vehicle or re-sale concerns. I think everyone would agree if you buy a car and keep it "forever" it's going to probably be a better decision than flipping cars every few years. The monthly cost is in our budget, it's stress free, and we come home with a new car every 18 months, it works for us.

Old 08-01-2013, 02:48 PM

57 posts, read 180,160 times
Thank you all for this information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive