Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 02:07 PM

1,618 posts, read 2,625,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NARFALICIOUS View Post
Blowouts happen a lot. Hence why I see a lot of tire debris on the highway whenever I travel.
You sure the "debris" wasn't treads coming off of tractor-trailer re-treaded tires? because that's all of the tire debris I see on the highway whenever i travel on it for my 2+ hours worth of daily commute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2013, 02:56 PM

2,754 posts, read 7,424,925 times
I see a mix of it. More truck retreads on open highways between cities but I have seen a good number more near the city.

And I like how you avoid the important part of my statement.

I have seen more than 1000 flats in my life from passenger cars coming into my service departments. You saying that blowouts just don't happen is with lack of knowledge or experience. And to say that one is more likely to have a simple puncture sealable by a tire fix can is worse.

Fixaflat will not hold when you have a long sidewall cut, large sidewall holes, large holes in the tread.
Plus fixaflat type materials can ruin tire pressure sensors which are standard on all cars 08-newer.

Also some 'blowouts' simply arent always blowouts with the tire exploding everywhere. If you hit a big enough pot hole or bump in the road, a perfectly good tire can be ruined completely[big hole on the side] and/or unseat from the rim.

And tires that have small holes can become uninflatable if the driver doesn't pull over fast enough and the tire unseats from the rim.

Old 07-27-2013, 04:08 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
If it becomes so common that no spare tire is offered, I'm going to buy a spare, either donut or full size, that will fit the car.
You might have to bolt it to the roof, unless you use up most of the diminishing luggage space in the trunk.

Old 07-27-2013, 04:17 PM

1,479 posts, read 2,720,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsthomas View Post
I just read this today. Not even an inflatable doughnut to get you back home. Manufacturers claim they are doing this to save gas mileage. Thats BS.
Agreed. I'm sure some CFO came up with the idea just to save a few bucks.

Old 07-27-2013, 04:17 PM

2,194 posts, read 3,850,853 times
In eight years of driving (and probably 200,000 miles), I've used the doughnut four times on three different cars. Two of those times, it was due to a sudden blowout that a sealant would have no chance in hell of fixing.

I'm glad that every car I've had so far has a doughnut.

Old 07-27-2013, 04:28 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,032,050 times
This is why an average Joe doesn't need a spare tire.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nd7vOo-8HoY

Last edited by KaaBoom; 07-27-2013 at 04:47 PM..

Old 07-27-2013, 06:34 PM

2,479 posts, read 2,214,182 times
Default Repairing a steel belted tire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerio View Post
When I was buying a new car, the Hyundai Veloster did not offer a spare tire. As a result, it actually affected my purchase and I did not buy the Veloster. I went with a car with a spare tire (amongst other factors).

Has anyone had to use a flat tire repair kit? Were they good? Would you go back to a spare tire, or was the kit sufficient?

Steel Belts. They are all steel belts so unless you have a sidewall puncture or rolled on a flat to destruction, its easy to fix a flat.

Flat tire repair kits costs a few dollars and what you will do is exactly what a shop would do.

1) Jack up the side of the car with the flat about an inch off the ground. But, block the car before you do anything else. That means, make sure the engine is off, gear in park, emergency brake on, all three wheels need bricks, blocks behind them, and shove something under the car so if it falls off the jack it can't move. It happens. DON'T REMOVE THE WHEEL/TIRE.
2) Wipe your bare hand around the flat tire to locate the nail, screw, metal. Hint. Its probably between the tread. Once you find it, mark the location, lipstick's good, and work the nail out. You will need pliers for this usually.
3) Now from your tire repair kit take that sharp pointy tool and jam it into the hole where the nail was. Be brave, its OK. Twist the tool around to make the hole bigger. Yes, I said bigger.
4) Open the tube of glue/cement from the kit and inject it into the hole. Then smear the glue over a piece of the rubber strips that come in the kit. Looks a little like beef jerky.
5) Follow the directions on the kit, turn the rubber strip with the glue into the hole as far as you can. If its too tight just make the hole bigger. Wait 15 minutes. Take a knife or razor blade and cut the rubber strip that is sticking out of the hole flush with the tread. A little will still be sticking up.
6) Drop the car down, using the car jack in reverse after removing the block under the frame but not the wheel blocks.

Pump in some air or inject it with those cans of compressed air sold in stores, and clean up. You are good to go. Should take about 20-30 minutes.

Old 07-27-2013, 06:53 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,911,642 times
I think the reason is not just to cut costs but to increase mileage ratings. Anything to reduce weight will increase gas mileage, if only a twentieth of a mile.

Old 07-28-2013, 12:58 AM

2,754 posts, read 7,424,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
This is why an average Joe doesn't need a spare tire.

Tire blown - YouTube
That's more of a video of your average Jane. And it does prove you need a spare, because fix a flat cans won't hold that kind of hole.

Old 07-28-2013, 03:43 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,032,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NARFALICIOUS View Post
That's more of a video of your average Jane. And it does prove you need a spare, because fix a flat cans won't hold that kind of hole.
Thats why if that had been me, I would have driven 10 mph with my e-lights flashing, directly to the nearest tire shop. They would have been putting my new tire on, while that guy was still trying to figure out how to get his tire off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive