Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 10:10 AM

4,749 posts, read 4,323,083 times

Advertisements

Most of the roads around here are 45 mph; however, there are a few that are at 55 mph. Either people missed the speed increase signs (although there are several on this parkway) or they are uncomfortable driving 55 mph. My issue is the people that stay in the left lane and cruise along between 45 mph and 55 mph. It's as if they don't even notice that there are cars going around them.

How can I alert these drivers that they need to speed up or move to the right lane? If you get close to them, they press their brakes. As a native NYer, I know that is a signal that you need to get out of their way. Most people who use the left lanes on the highway are aware of that.

And if anyone wants to say that speeding causes accidents, this gif is for you! The accidents that occur because of speeding happen because the driver is going too fast for conditions (hail, fog, tight turn, etc.). It's people that don't pay attention (cell phones, changing radio, distracted by children, eating, etc.) or have poor judgement that cause accidents.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2013, 10:12 AM

5,251 posts, read 14,248,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post
Most of the roads around here are 45 mph; however, there are a few that are at 55 mph. Either people missed the speed increase signs (although there are several on this parkway) or they are uncomfortable driving 55 mph. My issue is the people that stay in the left lane and cruise along between 45 mph and 55 mph. It's as if they don't even notice that there are cars going around them.

How can I alert these drivers that they need to speed up or move to the right lane? If you get close to them, they press their brakes. As a native NYer, I know that is a signal that you need to get out of their way. Most people who use the left lanes on the highway are aware of that.

And if anyone wants to say that speeding causes accidents, this gif is for you! The accidents that occur because of speeding happen because the driver is going too fast for conditions (hail, fog, tight turn, etc.). It's people that don't pay attention (cell phones, changing radio, distracted by children, eating, etc.) or have poor judgement that cause accidents.

Paging TexasHorseLady...

Other then flashing your lights or honking your horn there is nothing you can do, all you can to do is pass them on the right.

Last edited by Me007gold; 07-30-2013 at 11:10 AM..

Old 07-30-2013, 10:40 AM

1,242 posts, read 3,480,173 times
Honestly, usually a quick headlight flash or quick honk gets them going or they move for the most part. But then there are always the ones that just dont care and you just gotta pass them on the right, which in most states is perfectly legal. Then there are the ones that get upset and will start slowing down. If I get those kind, I will flash again to get them to slam on the brakes so I can just whip around them.

Old 07-30-2013, 10:56 AM

21,882 posts, read 25,146,349 times
I just go around them. Takes less effort than flashing my lights, honking my horn, raging. Just hit the blinker, turn the wheel a few degrees and sail by.

Old 07-30-2013, 11:13 AM

19,128 posts, read 25,331,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
Other then flashing your lights or honking your horn there is nothing you can do, all you can to do is Illegally pass them on the right.

The OP stated that these people are loafing along in the left lane, which tells us that the road has at least two lanes.
In every state with which I am familiar, it IS legal to pass on the right on a multi-lane highway, as long as you don't use the shoulder of the road for passing. Unless Texas has MV regulations that differ from...everywhere else...it is legal to pass on the right.

Where does misinformation such as, "it is not legal to pass on the right", originate?

Old 07-30-2013, 11:26 AM

1,242 posts, read 3,480,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post

The OP stated that these people are loafing along in the left lane, which tells us that the road has at least two lanes.
In every state with which I am familiar, it IS legal to pass on the right on a multi-lane highway, as long as you don't use the shoulder of the road for passing. Unless Texas has MV regulations that differ from...everywhere else...it is legal to pass on the right.

Where does misinformation such as, "it is not legal to pass on the right", originate?

I've pondered this one as well and what I came up with was on a 2 lane road, one each way, if somebody stops to make a left, it may ( depending on state ) be illegal to pass on the right. I know here is Georgia, we are allowed to for the most part.

Maybe people started to interpret this as not being able to pass on the right on a multi lane highway?

Just my guess

Old 07-30-2013, 11:32 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
This is just so childish. Of course you can pass on the right.

Americans are taught to obey highly simplified rules in kindergarten, and then nobody ever teaches them to think for themselves. The drivers manuals, written in 1925, when all roads were two lane, told you not to pass on the right, and everybody still thinks that applies to 12-lane freeways.

From the New York State DMV Driver Manual:

PASSING ON THE RIGHT

You should usually pass other vehicles on the left, but passing on the right is allowed in certain situations.

Before you pass on the right on multilane roads such as expressways, make sure you check your mirrors, use the proper signals for lane change, and look over your right shoulder for other vehicles. After passing, be sure to check over your left shoulder, and to signal, before returning to the left lane.

Last edited by jtur88; 07-30-2013 at 11:43 AM..

Old 07-30-2013, 02:13 PM

21,882 posts, read 25,146,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
This is just so childish. Of course you can pass on the right.

Americans are taught to obey highly simplified rules in kindergarten, and then nobody ever teaches them to think for themselves. The drivers manuals, written in 1925, when all roads were two lane, told you not to pass on the right, and everybody still thinks that applies to 12-lane freeways.

From the New York State DMV Driver Manual:

PASSING ON THE RIGHT

You should usually pass other vehicles on the left, but passing on the right is allowed in certain situations.

Before you pass on the right on multilane roads such as expressways, make sure you check your mirrors, use the proper signals for lane change, and look over your right shoulder for other vehicles. After passing, be sure to check over your left shoulder, and to signal, before returning to the left lane.
But it does not define for me what is the proper signal. I'm so confused!

Old 07-30-2013, 02:35 PM

1,030 posts, read 4,277,702 times
well here in CT you can get 3 points for passing on the right...my guess is that its illegal. 10 points gets you a suspension.

Connecticut Point System - Driver's License Points & Traffic Ticket Penalties

Old 07-30-2013, 04:03 PM

4,505 posts, read 6,482,709 times
^^^^ But in CT it's also illegal to just drive in the left lane...the left lane is for passing only.

http://www.ct.gov/dmv/lib/dmv/20/29/r12eng.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive