Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2018, 04:29 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,457,608 times

Advertisements

Also because us baby boomers are getting up there in age gone are the boomers parents old Mercury Grand Marquee, and the Buick road master, and the big Lincoln Town Car, or the Cadillac coupe Deville. Now us boomers want luxury pickups I know I’m would love a nice F150 Platinum 4x4 with all the bells and whistles. And since they don’t make those big luxury sedans anymore big comfortable pickups and SUV’s are what us baby boomers are driving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2018, 09:28 AM

32,703 posts, read 48,272,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
.....said the guy who's apparently never lost a load of sheet goods because the tailgate wasn't up.
There is this concept called tie down straps.

Even with the tailgate up, a load of plywood or lumber in my pickup gets a couple of straps ratcheted over it.

I don't know why anyone else buys a 4 door pickup. My family has two of them, plus four trailers that need something to tow them. ( travel trailer, cargo trailer, 10 yard dump trailer, boat trailer )

That back seat is full of tools and it provides a safe weatherproof place for the dog to ride. Things can be locked up in the back seat.

OP sees pickups not towing, but every time I go fishing, every single one of the pickups in the parking lot has a boat trailer behind it. Every time I drive past the show grounds, every pickup has a horse trailer behind it. Maybe OP lives some place where people don't take their horse or their boat to work with them every day?

Old 06-27-2018, 12:14 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,122,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
I've never had a problem locating or easily finding lower models of trucks. You can get literally anything from vinyl + crank windows up through King Ranch whatever edition.

We should welcome the selection.
Vinyl and crank windows?!

Ewww.

What is this, the olden days of the pre-2000s?

Old 06-27-2018, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Because nothing else can haul 5 people in comfort, two kayaks, a tent, five bicycles, two coolers, a table, seven folding chairs, five air mattresses, two tubs of clothing, three fishing poles, 15 7' long atlatl darts, a bale of straw, ten throwing axes and a slice of log, a giant dog, pots and pans, a stove, and a barbecue.
And a partridge in a pear tree.

Old 06-27-2018, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copymutt View Post
Safety: crash protection, driver visibility, 4x4, power
Versatility
Utility
Good looks
I wouldn't bring a knife to a gun fight
You wouldn't bring a knife to a gunfight??!!

Why the violent reference, dude?

Look at the top, this thread is about 4 door luxury pickups.

Old 06-27-2018, 12:21 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,742,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
I've never had a problem locating or easily finding lower models of trucks. You can get literally anything from vinyl + crank windows up through King Ranch whatever edition.

We should welcome the selection.
Who said “low model� Not me. You will find NO regular or extracab, midsize, longbed, 4WD, V6, manual, truck offered anymore. Manuals are not “low model,†despite what you might think. They might have had a lower price a long time ago, but not now.

The makers are forcing people to buy crewcab versions just to get other features. It is not some kind of noble goal on their end, either.

And if you say, Buy a FullSize Truck, so much for “the selection.â€

Old 06-27-2018, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
Why so many 4 door luxury pickups?

Because they're usually used as a car AND as a pickup. There's not much of anything better for all-weather driving than a 4x4 pickup, there's not much of anything better for utility, for towing nor for shopping trips than a pickup, and when you get the luxury model, there's really not much better for highway driving.

My son and his wife have the new F150 Limited (top luxury model). He switched from Escalades to F150s for towing his 4-seat golf cart. He was having some kind of towing problem with the latest Escalade he'd bought, so he decided to switch to a pickup. He and his wife both have high-paying jobs, so they wanted the nicest pickup they could get. (And why not, since it was replacing an Escalade.) They're now on their 3rd F150.

He also has a year-old Vette for the sports car enthusiast in him, and his wife has a newish BMW sedan. When they take a road trip, more often than not it's in the F150. I rode with them to Denver and back in it last fall (750 miles r/t), just after they'd bought this latest truck. He had told me that the new F150s rode as nice as the Escalades, but I didn't believe it. Now I do. It won't haul nor tow the weight of some other models, but it rides like a luxury sedan -- one that sets up high so it's got better visibility and will plow through deep snow and mud. (He works 15-20 miles out of town and sometimes needs a 4x4 to get there and back.)

He has a lockable cover on the 6-foot bed, so it's as secure as a sedan's trunk. The only downside is fuel costs, and even that isn't too bad at 18 mpg at 80 mph.

AND... he gets to haul my mower to the repair shop, aluminum cans to the recycler, etc., etc. That's the BEST part of it!
That's just not true.

There are SUVs (Mercedes GLS, Ford Expedition/Lincoln Navigator, Chevrolet Suburban/GMC Yukon, Infiniti QX80 to name a few) that can do any of the above tasks as well or better than any "luxury pickups".

Old 06-27-2018, 01:28 PM

22,145 posts, read 33,657,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortoggie View Post
I sat on my buddy's front porch and he said to me; just watch for the number of heavy duty, luxury pickups. Sure enough, about one out of six were those $ 40k to $ 50k models, yet you never see anything loaded on the back. Why the infatuation?

Because it’s a free country

Old 06-27-2018, 01:34 PM

30,707 posts, read 79,979,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
Trucks are not as luxurious as cars, period. Features do not a luxury vehicle make. Trucks have higher NVH levels, poor chassis dynamics, are hard to park, suck gas, etc, etc. They're farm vehicles - it is unimaginable to me why anyone (short of ranchers, farmers, etc.) would use a pickup as a daily driver. I say this as the owner of a new 2018 $48K pickup. It's not nearly as nice as my comparably priced 2014 Taurus SHO and is a sad joke compared to my 2018 BMW M550i (which is comparably priced to a King Chicken Farm Big Horn pickup with the optional Bubba package).

Utility? Given the plethora of trucks with miniature beds, utility has nothing to do with it.
Translation: "I have never owned a pickup and I know nothing about them. "

Old 06-27-2018, 01:37 PM

30,707 posts, read 79,979,403 times
I can say I have pulled a lot of Suburbans and Expeditions out of ditches in the past three years. No pick ups. I do not know whether that is a function of the capability of the vehicles ro the type fo drivers they attract.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive