Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 01:46 PM

1,242 posts, read 3,480,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
I rid of my Silverado. It was an ongoing DIY project. Engine was running strong, but it was continuous this and that everywhere else. Start and go, but very annoying. I like well made vehicles.
I don't think your car is worth putting more effort into it. The very moment they start breaking, it's like chain reaction. You touch one thing, and so it starts.
That's why most Americans rid of cars around 60-70 000 miles mark. Or right after warranty. It's hassle coming. Yes, I know, this will be followed by "well, mine has 500 000" miles with no problems but A I'll call it a lie and B - exempt only confirms the rule. Statistically, domestics are not known for reliability. They used to be, until accountants took over.
I dont think most Americans are trading in because of that. I think its for the bigger/better/more buttons, etc factor. As far as everything starting to go, that is almost always due to poor or no maintenance of a car.

80's domestics for the most part sucked. 90's, so so, but I find late 90's and up domestics running over 200k all day long, and running pretty dang good.

Ultimately, it comes down to routine maintenance. This is what kills any car, the fact that so many Americans don't do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2013, 03:10 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,273,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhemi View Post

Ultimately, it comes down to routine maintenance. This is what kills any car, the fact that so many Americans don't do it.
I think this contributes a lot to the perception that imports are so much more reliable than domestics. Not saying that there aren't cases when this is true, particularly when talking about vehicles of the late 1980s-early 1990s; but in general, my observation of import buyers vs. domestic buyers is that import buyers tend to be more obsessive about maintenance. Plus they tend to be more likely to return their vehicles to the dealership for service which means that developing problems are more likely to be caught and fixed during the warranty period.

Obviously domestic quality has improved dramatically over the last 20 years, but I think the more drivers overall are paying more attention to maintenance as a result of the continually rising cost of new vehicles.

But again, this is my observation as a car guy and former parts man in my particular part of the country and isn't necessarily a universal truth.

Old 08-23-2013, 03:33 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,085,908 times
Something to think about, OP, is that there are a handful of items that usually make it to 100K but not 200K, fuel pump being one of them. My experience with a "new to me" car or truck is that I end up working on it quite a bit for the first few months, sometimes it's stuff I can see needs doing, sometimes it's stuff that breaks down and lets me know that way. But after things are caught up, an old car can be as reliable or more than a new one. I think you have inept service help who are not really fixing stuff on your truck right.

Old 08-23-2013, 03:46 PM

929 posts, read 2,724,186 times
Default F150

Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
2002 F150 with 170k on it... Realistically, how long do you think you could keep it running? 200k? 250k? It's not a Honda, it isn't going to run forever.

Personally, I would get rid of it, or keep it as a backup beater car and fix things as you can afford to do so, while you buy/lease a newer car for work.
Honda....yea right , they rust away after 10 years or so...

My 2002 F150 has 376,000 miles. The Transmission is the only part replaced and it was @ about 250K, and I installed a used one @ that.

But I would also try the PCM and if that doesnt fix it I would consider getting something else.
Everyone is right about fixing is much cheaper than buying new.

Old 08-23-2013, 05:26 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,886,849 times
My first car was a new '95 Isuzu Rodeo that I took to 125k miles over 14 years. I loved that thing and even though I had another SUV by that time, I still paid $2700 to rebuild the transmission because it was still a decent car otherwise. 2 years after that though, supposedly another part in the tranny failed and that's when I had enough. If it were a small part easier to diagnose, I probably would've kept it going.

Old 08-23-2013, 06:05 PM

1,617 posts, read 5,675,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
2002 F150 with 170k on it... Realistically, how long do you think you could keep it running? 200k? 250k? It's not a Honda, it isn't going to run forever.
Nor is a Honda.

I like Hondas, but they're not magical everlasting machines. They're just machines.

Old 08-23-2013, 06:10 PM

1,617 posts, read 5,675,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider7811 View Post
Honda....yea right , they rust away after 10 years or so...
You're thinking of Mazda and Nissan. Honda has actually been decent as far as longer-term rust protection lately. They're at least average now.

Old 08-23-2013, 09:30 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,846,967 times
My Sons and I have had this discussion. They have a different philosophy than me, they buy new cars every few years and make payments each month. I buy a car for cash and keep it alive by making repairs when it needs it. A car is going to cost you so much every year, whether it is in monthly payments or occasional repairs, so it just depends on your personal feelings about it. A lot also depends on how handy you are......I can do most repairs so that saves some money, but if you have to pay a dealer each time it can get costly real fast.

Don

Old 08-23-2013, 10:23 PM

1,738 posts, read 3,008,137 times
I ten to keep cars to around the 170K to 200K mark.

Only you can decide if it's worth fixing. But, 170K for any non industrial car or truck will have wear and tear on it and parts will start to wear out.

Old 08-24-2013, 08:18 AM

4,319 posts, read 4,207,988 times
@ OP: Your problems are very minor. And you are in the wrong Forum. You should head out to FTE (Ford Truck Enthusiast) instead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive