Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2013, 03:02 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,258,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by V2thunder View Post
A lot of these new big power cars are harly if any quicker than their older lower powered predecessors. They're all heavy as **** except for the mustang.
Not only are most of them quicker but they're also much safer, have much better handling, and get much better fuel economy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2013, 03:29 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,878,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Not only are most of them quicker but they're also much safer, have much better handling, and get much better fuel economy.

DeLorean Vs Minivan - The Car Show - YouTube

Ferrari 308 vs Toyota Camry in a drag race.

Guess who wins...

Old 09-01-2013, 03:34 AM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,124,232 times

Vegas Drift August 31 2013 - YouTube

Old 09-01-2013, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post

DeLorean Vs Minivan - The Car Show - YouTube

Ferrari 308 vs Toyota Camry in a drag race.

Guess who wins...
Heh. My sister has a 328. One day it occurred to me, "my 4-cylinder Mazda has more horsepower, a hell of a lot more torque, will beat it through the 1/4 despite weighing 700 pounds more (though the 328 will own from there on out), can carry 5 people and a week's worth of luggage for all 5 of them, and it cost half as much brand-new as you paid for your Ferrari when it was pushing 15 years old."

But of course a Speed6 doesn't look or sound 1/4th as sexy as a 328...

Old 09-01-2013, 08:51 AM

3,183 posts, read 7,209,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
That's OK, nobody likes people who deliberately try to injure or maim motorcyclists or deliberately try to induce accidents with tailgaters. So nobody cares what you do or don't like.
Didn't know we were talking about motorcycles???????????

Last edited by crestliner; 09-01-2013 at 09:00 AM..

Old 09-01-2013, 10:45 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,673,391 times
I opted to upgrade to a pickup as they are used like cars since "Urban Cowboy" hit the silver screen. Bigger the block the bigger the boat being towed behind. Oh and put 2 big V8 Yamaha outboards on the boat too.

so you need a wide load permit...

If you are going to dream make it a big one.

Old 09-01-2013, 12:31 PM

2,335 posts, read 4,155,021 times
I can see the point that the OP is trying to make. When I was shopping for a new car last year, the car that I was looking at came in a V6 as well as 370 and 470HP V8 versions. I went with the base 370HP V8 as I thought that 470HP might be overkill for my daily commute.

Now, having owned the car for a year, I am used to 370HP and wonder how the 470HP model drives. As a matter of fact, as soon as Chrysler puts the 8-speed trans in the SRT Charger/300, I may be trading up.

Such is the curse of being a gearhead.

Old 09-01-2013, 01:56 PM

108 posts, read 199,609 times
This is a big thread so I have no idea if this has been pointed out (probably has), but...

New cars with all new techy gadgets, luxury appointments and better-than-ever safety equipment are quite heavy (not to mention cars are getting bigger and bigger). To overcome that weight and size you of course need more power. 400 hp is an outrageous amount 20 years ago. Today, your average base model V8 comes with close to that amount.

Not every car feels the same with the same power figures. 400 hp in a 2500 lbs car on a windy road will scare the bejesus out of you while a 400 hp 4500 lbs luxury saloon on a highway doesn't feel that intimidating at all.

Old 09-01-2013, 02:13 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,878,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crestliner View Post
Having a car that is supposed to be very very very fast with hundreds and hundreds of horse power is sorta like having a used F-16 fighter jet parked in your yard. What are you going to do with it? You might think you have a right to speed in it BUT YOU DON'T,,When you speed it then becomes my business and I don't like speeders. Now if you own the private road you plan to speed on that is ok......but if you speed on the public road that is NOT OK.......and please don't come back at me crying saying you can speed if you want to...NO YOU CANT...not on the public roads..Why cant people understand this?
given your attitude you may not understand what i am about to post, but try anyway.

there are these things called race tracks where you can go and run as hard as you can legally. some are straight and short, we call these drag strips and they come in two flavors, 1/8 mile and 1/4 mile(ok some come in 1000ft). some are in the shape of an oval, can can be anywhere from 3/8 mile to 2.66 miles in length. and then there are those that are long and straight, two in particular are very popular, the bonneville salt flats and the dry lake bed at el mirage. these we call top speed tracks. and then there are temporary open road tracks set up, like the one in nevada that is about 90 miles long and has some curves in them so you have to have a car that can run some top speeds, as well as go around corners, and actually do some braking. and then we have my favorite with straightaways, as well as right and left corners, again you need to get some top speed as well as acceleration, braking, and cornering.

at these "race tracks", you either compete against the clock, or against other competitors, or both. at these "race tracks" classes are set up for "racing". and many classes are for dual purpose cars. with a dual purpose car you need to build it to run as hard as class rules allow, and yet still be able to drive the car to work on monday, assuming it doesnt break at the track. its really a lot of fun doing the "racing".

but this "racing" on open or closed courses is a way to LEGALLY break every speed limit with your car, and have fun doing it fairly safely. you might try it sometime, you might enjoy it while getting an education. who knows, you might just build your own 500+hp car that you can drive on the street daily, and then head to the track on the weekends.

Old 09-01-2013, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crestliner View Post
Didn't know we were talking about motorcycles???????????
We weren't talking about speed limits either, but you brought it up anyway. So I'll go ahead and bring up your insufferable hypocrisy. And I'll keep doing it every time you work up the nerve to lecture anyone about rules of the road or driving safety.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive