Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2013, 02:24 PM

156 posts, read 440,245 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to find a used car for my mom and I keep running into the same problem which is extremely frustrating. The dashboard seems to be higher in newer and/orJapanese cars and it's difficult to see above it. My mom is about 5'3" and I'm just a smidge shorter. Her current car is a Ford Contour (4-door sedan) from the late '90s and we have no problems seeing above the dashboard. We rented/leased a 2012 Mazda6 for two days while her car was in the shop a few weeks ago. We both had problems seeing over the dashboard and for me, I felt it was a driving hazard. We tried adjusting the seat, but it didn't help much. I was practically sitting on top the steering wheel and I still couldn't see above the dashboard, I could've used a booster seat.

I've noticed in recent years, that many women drivers of small cars/sedans drive with their chin tilted up as if they're having difficulties seeing over the dashboard. Now I know why - they probably can't see.

What's the deal with these dashboards being so high? Is this a new trend in newer cars or is it something common in foreign made cars? I'm assuming most men haven't even noticed this since most men are over 5'7" and the high dashboard wouldn't affect their vision.

I'm looking at pictures of a 2011 Honda Civic and it's dashboard looks higher than the Mazda. What's worse is that the seats are angled in such a way that it's almost as if you're reclining in them. What I mean is that I'd like my car seat (the part my butt actually sits on) to be level like a kitchen chair, but instead the back of the seat is angled down while the front is angled up. For someone short, that's a problem. Has anyone here had problems like this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2013, 02:30 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,069,075 times
There may be other reasons but the beltline in general on newer cars has risen due to pedestrian and crash safety requirements. Raising the beltline necessitates that the dash is higher as well.

Old 08-28-2013, 05:00 PM

5,118 posts, read 16,592,135 times
I'm only 5'2" and drive a '08 Chevy Cobalt. The driver's seat is adjustable (up/down) so I just raise mine up so I can see and minimize my blindspots. My issue is with the forward tilted (non adjustable) headrests. They make for a miserable drive.

Old 08-28-2013, 05:46 PM

17,597 posts, read 17,629,777 times
My wife drives a 2007 Chrysler Sebring and she's 4'11". First car she's come across that allows her to reach the pedals, see over the dashboard, and not have the steering wheel in the chest.

Old 08-28-2013, 05:51 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,645,588 times
Try a Prius. Because of the design of the instrument panel, the dash right in front of the driver is pretty low. Although I'm not that short I drive an older Honda product, and every rental I get into generally feels so confining in comparison. The Prius I just drove was pretty good, and in that 2013 model I found no huge drawback in how it drove compared to a regular car. Just does it with better mpg.

A good height adjustment can help some. A lot of cars have basic height adjustment, but many of them do not work that great, tilting the seat in funny ways and such. I drove a VW Jetta a while back that I found generally good and comfortable. If you can get a power seat, that can help in that department. I had a Chevy Cruze a while back too, that was not bad either in terms of seeing out.

Old 08-28-2013, 06:50 PM

19,015 posts, read 27,562,983 times
Get one of those:

mitsubishi expo - Google Search

And you will have no issues seeing the road or all around, and a very reliable vehicle. Expo or Expo LRV. Super cars.

Old 08-28-2013, 07:07 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,828,251 times
Some people just put a taller seat in there.

Don

Old 08-28-2013, 09:36 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
My wife is 5' 2" and drives a Buick Park Ave. She adjusts the seat up to it's highest point and then sits on a stadium seat for an additional inch or 2. She has no problem seeing all around the vehicle.

Old 08-28-2013, 09:45 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,804,086 times
Default What's with the high dashboards?

Best & Favorite Lord of the Rings Quotes - "Or would you like me to find you a box?" (Legolas/Gimli) - YouTube

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Can't say I've noticed dashboards getting any higher.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive