Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 12:42 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,204,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
My ds16, actually said when he get's his DL he will turn his phone OFF and leave it in the back seat until he gets to his destination. Really, he said that, not with any prompting from me, HE said that......great kid!

Now if only adults could learn to be as responsible!
Most kids will promise to make good grades, miss no school, mow the lawn 2 times a week, take out the garbage, clean their room and their sisters and wash the car everyday if they think it will help get their license a second sooner. Friend after the kid has driven for 6 weeks check his cell phone logs and check the times you know he is driving.......Talking the talk is not always walking the walk...lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2013, 12:42 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
My ds16, actually said when he get's his DL he will turn his phone OFF and leave it in the back seat until he gets to his destination. Really, he said that, not with any prompting from me, HE said that......great kid!

Now if only adults could learn to be as responsible!
Why would it need to be off or on the back seat? Not enough self control to not answer it while driving?

Old 09-09-2013, 01:33 PM

21,882 posts, read 25,154,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
For such an unnecessary activity . . . ONE DEATH / INJURY IS TOO MANY.
Well, yes.

Also, it's a rather stupid website. I can text perfectly safely while driving in one of two ways. I either can pull over to the side of the road or text at a red light. Actually, it's more likely an email since I'm old and do more emails than texts. It's completely safe. I can stick my phone up on top of the wheel and see the light out of my periphery. It's also rather illegal and a big fine and annoying because you keep getting interrupted. Thus I prefer the second equally illegal activity of pulling over to the side of the road in a parking spot and emailing/texting while driving.

Old 09-09-2013, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Years ago some teen girl rear ended me while she was on the phone. Did not do anything to my truck (heavy steel bumper, large pintle hook hitch), but totaled her car, totaled as in to fix it costs way more than the car was worth, not a bad wreck or anything.

I did not even wait around, my truck was fine and I left, gave my contact info if anything came up.

The next day her dad came over with some other guy, I had to be a little rude and set him straight in life. He basically was trying to make it my fault that his daughter was not paying attention and rear ended me.
LOL

And surprisingly not that rare. One of my ex-gf's dad got rear-ended. The light was out (blinking red), and he and another drive both started to go at the same time. He stopped and got plowed into because the car following him was going to run the light right after him to avoid stopping. After waiting around for 30 minutes, we exchanged info and left. His car had about $2,000 in damage but still drove. Great backseat view of the it (girlfriend and I were right behind the car that rear-ended him). Anyway, a couple weeks later their insurance company called. Apparently what happened was he drove halfway into the intersection stopped, put the vehicle in reverse, and stomped on the gas pedal enough to reach approximately 20 mph and rammed them. He talked with their insurance company for five minutes or so and they said not to worry about it, they'd cover the claim. Point being, people lie. It's never their fault, teenagers especially. I kind of hope their insurance company brought them up on insurance fraud charges, but they were in an old beater that wasn't much worth. Probably not worth the hassle for anybody. They'll just be out the beater, buy another, and try it again since they didn't get their wrist slapped the first time.

Old 09-09-2013, 01:48 PM

4,790 posts, read 10,613,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Well, yes. ...
It is? What can possibly be that 'important' to you or anyone, email or text-wise, that can't wait a half to an hour?

We all are guilty of occasionally believing we are self-entitled...I just don't comprehend what is so important or critical that can't wait a few minutes or hour(s), to postpone email or texting.

How did we all manage in the '70s, early '80s, in biz or in life?

Last edited by motordavid; 09-09-2013 at 02:59 PM..

Old 09-09-2013, 02:37 PM

35 posts, read 56,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauCharles View Post
I know of one person in my town who's got a ticket for it. $400. They could rake in a pile of money towards the budget deficit here just by diligently enforcing the law (seems every third driver is on their cell phone).
You are spot on!

Clay

Old 09-09-2013, 03:58 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,704,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauCharles View Post
I know of one person in my town who's got a ticket for it. $400. They could rake in a pile of money towards the budget deficit here just by diligently enforcing the law (seems every third driver is on their cell phone).
BRILLIANT, BeauCharles . . . haul in lots of money and save lives to boot.

Old 09-09-2013, 04:20 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,204,711 times
Using the cell phone/texting is very addictive. Even though a person is trying to drive does not lesson the addiction to be using the phone . A motorcycle rider was killed less than a 100 yards from my house last week and guess what.... The car driver that caused the accident WAS ON THE FRIKKIN CELL PHONE..

Old 09-09-2013, 04:54 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,539,616 times
Kids have been killed in car accidents long before cell phones existed.

Regardless of the source of the distraction, the root cause is immaturity and distraction.

Old 09-09-2013, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motordavid View Post
It is? What can possibly be that 'important' to you or anyone, email or text-wise, that can't wait a half to an hour?

We all are guilty of occasionally believing we are self-entitled...I just don't comprehend what is so important or critical that can't wait a few minutes or hour(s), to postpone email or texting.

How did we all manage in the '70s, early '80s, in biz or in life?
Yes, I'd say things are critically important enough that I feel fine doing it while driving at either a red light or pulled over to the side of the street in a parking place. I've never heard of anyone killing someone while parked or at a red light... well, maybe if they shot them or opened their door as a bicyclist went by, but not just sitting there. So yes, I think things are critically important enough that I can do something that is completely safe to do even if it is illegal. It's not that they're that important as much as that texting and driving can be completely safe or insanely dangerous, it just depends on how you do it. The laws don't acknowledge this. Sitting at a red light for five minutes requires no attention whatsoever beyond blinding staring at the light waiting for it to change, something I can do quite while out of my peripheral vision. Same with cellphone laws. The distraction isn't holding a small plastic object (which is illegal) but having a conversation on a phone (which is completely legal).

I don't even walk and text so there's no way I'd actively drive and attempt to do it. Controlling a 3,000+ pound metal object at 40+ mph demands a lot concentration than meandering along at 2 mph on foot. Unfortunately, the law isn't about actively driving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive