Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2013, 01:48 AM

51 posts, read 89,608 times

Advertisements

I read a thing online about texting while driving and the considerable amount of damage and death it causes.

Does anyone else agree that getting pulled over for texting while driving should be given a punishment near as severe as a DUI?

I know it sounds ludicrous, but if you read all the stories of accidents and DEATHS directly resulting from texint while driving.. what do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2013, 01:56 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,219,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OV101 View Post
I read a thing online about texting while driving and the considerable amount of damage and death it causes.

Does anyone else agree that getting pulled over for texting while driving should be given a punishment near as severe as a DUI?

I know it sounds ludicrous, but if you read all the stories of accidents and DEATHS directly resulting from texint while driving.. what do you think?
No, it does not sound ludicrous. As one of three pedestrians that got side-swiped by a jerk on his mobile phone, I am 100% for it. Actually, I would consider the amputation of the offending hand more appropriate.

Old 12-26-2013, 02:08 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,380,115 times
Texting while driving is an insane practice and should come with heavy fines and/or jail time if caught.but the problem is the law just doesnt take the practice seriously and as a consequence there's a total lack of serious enforcement. The auto industry could solve the problem by installing a phone jammer system in all new cars that would render a cell phone useless if the motor was running.

Old 12-26-2013, 04:59 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,251,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Texting while driving is an insane practice and should come with heavy fines and/or jail time if caught.but the problem is the law just doesnt take the practice seriously and as a consequence there's a total lack of serious enforcement. The auto industry could solve the problem by installing a phone jammer system in all new cars that would render a cell phone useless if the motor was running.
What about the passengers? Do they get penalized because of the .00000000000000000000000001% of people who actually cause a problem? I guess you're saying that people shouldn't be allowed to use their phones at all while driving?

That is some kind of overblown panic reaction.

This is not an offense equal to a DUI. For one major thing, people will be pulled over by the millions every day, just for looking at their phones. We'd need to build parking lots to handle all the drivers being investigated for possible texting violations. Is that what we want the police ot be doing all day, every day?

A long as we're busting people for taking their eyes off the road, let's include anyone who has a GPS, radio, MPS player, makeup, coffee, biscuit, or ANY other distracting item.

Old 12-26-2013, 06:04 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,785,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
I guess you're saying that people shouldn't be allowed to use their phones at all while driving?
That's a good idea. They can pull over and shut the car off if they have something important to say. If they don't have something important to say they should just shut up and drive the goddam car.

Old 12-26-2013, 06:10 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,084,458 times
Have you read all the stories about drunk drivers? Before the big crackdown, drunk drivers caused about half of all accident in the USA. Texting drivers cause so few, that they still make the news and you hear about them.

Only 16% of all crashes and 16% of all fatalities are attributable to distraction -- and that includes all forms of distractions, including eating, looking for dropped french-fries, changing music, disciplining kids, gawking at clowns in front of the tire store, everything. How do you prevent that? Do you think before the cellphone, there were never any distracted drivers?

Here are the real statistics, not the ones touted on all the shrill ban-texting propaganda sites.
http://www.census.gov/compendia/stat...es/12s1109.pdf

And there is also a judicial issue. Drunk driving is easy to prove conclusively for court evidence. If the penalty for texting were as severe, trial lawyers would force the police to provide a form of evidence that you would be unwilling to pay for.

Personally, I don't understand why anybody would ever want to text. I grew up in the landline telephone era, and it would have been thought ridiculous to want to revert back to the telegraph and morse code. Maybe somebody really missed the boat, by not selling gullible suckers on the fashionable new technology of sending telegrams. instead of talking on the phone.

Last edited by jtur88; 12-26-2013 at 06:36 AM..

Old 12-26-2013, 06:49 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,411,561 times
Quote:

+10000

The only people who think texting is OK are the jerks who do it.

It should be legal for the police to pull anybody over that is texting and arrest them for reckless driving.

I don't condone drunk driving but a drunk will get in a car and drive 20MPH because he knows he's drunk, texters drive as fast as they want because they don't think they are doing anything wrong.

Those who equate texting and cell phone use with listening to the radio or glancing at the GPS are just as stupid as the texters.

How can any normal person condone texting while DRIVING.

Old 12-26-2013, 07:01 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,692,694 times
Quote:

It's absolutely as bad and deadly.

Anything that is done willfully (texting, drinking, etc) and causes injury or death is equal. If someone dies due to a moron drinking or texting, the moron should be charged with Murder 1, imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
That's a good idea. They can pull over and shut the car off if they have something important to say. If they don't have something important to say they should just shut up and drive the goddam car.
Yes.

Old 12-26-2013, 07:23 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,199,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Have you read all the stories about drunk drivers? Before the big crackdown, drunk drivers caused about half of all accident in the USA. Texting drivers cause so few, that they still make the news and you hear about them.

Only 16% of all crashes and 16% of all fatalities are attributable to distraction -- and that includes all forms of distractions, including eating, looking for dropped french-fries, changing music, disciplining kids, gawking at clowns in front of the tire store, everything. How do you prevent that? Do you think before the cellphone, there were never any distracted drivers?

Here are the real statistics, not the ones touted on all the shrill ban-texting propaganda sites.
http://www.census.gov/compendia/stat...es/12s1109.pdf

And there is also a judicial issue. Drunk driving is easy to prove conclusively for court evidence. If the penalty for texting were as severe, trial lawyers would force the police to provide a form of evidence that you would be unwilling to pay for.
So if one of your family was killed by the 16% that would be alright??
What would be hard to prove. The cell phone would show when it was sending or receiving. If innocent The accused person would surely want to show it.

Old 12-26-2013, 07:47 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,380,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
What about the passengers? Do they get penalized because of the .00000000000000000000000001% of people who actually cause a problem? I guess you're saying that people shouldn't be allowed to use their phones at all while driving?

That is some kind of overblown panic reaction.

This is not an offense equal to a DUI. For one major thing, people will be pulled over by the millions every day, just for looking at their phones. We'd need to build parking lots to handle all the drivers being investigated for possible texting violations. Is that what we want the police ot be doing all day, every day?

A long as we're busting people for taking their eyes off the road, let's include anyone who has a GPS, radio, MPS player, makeup, coffee, biscuit, or ANY other distracting item.
I'd think technology is capable of installing the jamming device to negate only drivers seat operation of a cell phone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive