Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2013, 02:20 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,566,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastvp View Post
I have a 1999 Nissan Pathfinder with about 160,000 miles. Recently the check engine light came on and when I start the car, it will idle pretty rough. Enough so, that it feels like it wants to turn off. Any idea what this might be?
I just had the same problem. I went to my mechanic who hooked it up to a gauge that said I had a fuel leak somewhere. They smoked the car, found the leak, and fixed it. Cost me about $400.
They replaced pump module and filter. I have 56,000 miles on my car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2013, 02:34 PM

1,617 posts, read 5,675,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardspock View Post
Autozone and O'Reilly both have code readers that you can use for free. That will tell you if it's something simple. If you take it to a shop they are going to charge you at least $80 just to read the code.
$80 isn't for "just reading the code." It's for the expertise to troubleshoot the REASON for the code.

Old 09-12-2013, 02:37 PM

2,341 posts, read 12,046,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardspock View Post
Autozone and O'Reilly both have code readers that you can use for free. That will tell you if it's something simple. If you take it to a shop they are going to charge you at least $80 just to read the code.
This.

Old 09-12-2013, 02:44 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,250,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thegonagle View Post
$80 isn't for "just reading the code." It's for the expertise to troubleshoot the REASON for the code.
And google can prove that info just as well. If you put in the code, and the year/make/model of your vehicle, it will tell you what the problem is.

Old 09-12-2013, 03:01 PM

6,367 posts, read 16,875,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
And google can prove that info just as well. If you put in the code, and the year/make/model of your vehicle, it will tell you what the problem is.
LOL - good one. Thanks for the grin.

Old 09-12-2013, 09:13 PM

2,754 posts, read 7,424,925 times
Quote:
ahhahahhaa.

Old 09-13-2013, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thegonagle View Post
To be fair, in some shops it's to cover the cost of the scanner. There are no experts there.

It should also be noted that the expensive professional scanners have "vehicle specific" information that simply is not in the "cheap generic" scanners.

Last edited by GarageLogic; 09-13-2013 at 06:07 AM..

Old 09-13-2013, 06:23 AM

19,128 posts, read 25,336,687 times
Quote:
I normally would suggest going to Auto Zone or a place like that and get the code read for free, but I think I read that, they do not do that in California.

That is correct. While the chain auto parts stores in other states will read your stored trouble codes w/o charge, there is apparently some kind of regulation in CA that prevents them from providing this service.

In any event, the OP's question is the automotive equivalent of somebody phoning his M.D., and saying, I don't feel well. What is wrong with me?
Just as nobody could accurately diagnose a medical condition with that type of vague information, nobody can tell you from afar what is wrong with your vehicle.

So, the OP needs to have somebody plug a code scanner into his diagnostic connector, even though it is unlikely that he will find this service available for free in CA. And, even when trouble codes are obtained, good diagnostic skills are still needed in order to repair the vehicle properly and in a cost-effective manner.

Unfortunately, many mechanics will interpret a trouble code as, "replace the ________", even though repairs to wiring or other components may actually be what is needed. For instance, a trouble code related to the catalytic converter does NOT automatically mean, "replace the catalytic converter".

Old 09-13-2013, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Unfortunately, many mechanics will interpret a trouble code as, "replace the ________", even though repairs to wiring or other components may actually be what is needed. For instance, a trouble code related to the catalytic converter does NOT automatically mean, "replace the catalytic converter".

Right.

This is why a person wants to stay away from places like House of Mufflers & Brakes, Brake Masters, Mieneke, etc. It's not that they do everything wrong, but they are high-pressure up-sellers. They also tend to have low-end "mechanics" doing work they're not qualified to do. Their goal is high profit margins, not quality work.

Old 09-13-2013, 06:35 AM

5,251 posts, read 14,250,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post
LOL - good one. Thanks for the grin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NARFALICIOUS View Post
ahhahahhaa.
You can laugh all you want, but with the code, and the vehicle information, chances are very good that you can find an automobile forum dedicated to your vehicle, where the problem you have is well documented, and the solution is all ready there for you. Like others said right above me, many "mechanics" see the code as "replace this part"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive