Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does parking in a parking lot
I assume dings are the price of being in a public lot 16 26.67%
I don't assume dings are the price of being in a public lot 44 73.33%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2013, 10:14 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,206,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
I park WAY out in every lot, with a couple open spaces on either side. I park way out for a reason, and there are no tight spaces. Anyone parking near me is doing it for a reason. They don't want door dings either. My 2008 does not have any dings and in order to keep it that way, I enjoy walking.

And I have a limp, too.
I've never been the type to park as close as possible; I just pull into the parking lot and park out in the hinterlands and walk. Not because I'm worried about parking lot dings but because it's just easier and I am both capable of walking, and actually enjoy it.

In almost 40 years of driving, I have not been a party in any sort of parking lot ding drama.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2013, 11:18 PM

22,010 posts, read 25,367,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
I park WAY out in every lot, with a couple open spaces on either side. I park way out for a reason, and there are no tight spaces. Anyone parking near me is doing it for a reason. They don't want door dings either. My 2008 does not have any dings and in order to keep it that way, I enjoy walking.

And I have a limp, too.
The worst one I have, which I assume was from a shopping cart, came when I was parked way out in the hinterlands at a grocery store. You're never safe

Old 09-16-2013, 04:11 AM

23,178 posts, read 26,302,781 times
I find OP's attitude freaking' unbelievable!
But maybe it explains why the car I have now has more dings and scratches in 3 years than the last 10 cars combined.

Old 09-16-2013, 06:25 AM

3,681 posts, read 9,084,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
I find OP's attitude freaking' unbelievable!
Yeah, he's the poster child of what they call a "D-bag"! And one who will eventually get his arrogant rear end shredded into pieces... It's just a matter of time, life has a way of sobering D-bags up quickly!

Old 09-16-2013, 07:10 AM

5,251 posts, read 14,310,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post

I'm really curious if anyone has escalated to police or insurance. Especially if you're UP against an a$$ like me that won't admit to fault?

Yes people report it to insurance. As driver/owner, it is your responsibility to maintain control of your vehicle, and that includes opening and closing the doors. If you open your door into another car, YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE for that damage.

Old 09-16-2013, 07:31 AM

2,573 posts, read 3,514,966 times
OP - It's simple - try to park a bit away and then you won't have this problem. It's your job to make sure you do whatever you have to without scratching cars around yours. And if you do scratch someone's cars then deal with it in proper manner not like you said it's-a-parking-lot common. It has happened to me a few times but I was able to pick my daughter without touching the car. It was hard on my back I know but it's my problem.

Also what the $%&^ is wrong with people here on CD - whenever someone says I drive a corolla or civic or Camry experts show up telling he/she is not enthusiast and drives a car point A to B. There is a place for this kind of BS not here and not everywhere. If the OP drives a BMW then I guess it would have been OK to scratch other cars as atleast guy is a car enthusiast WTF!!

Old 09-16-2013, 07:48 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,189,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
1. Guy drives a Camry.....just an a to b transportation vehicle
2. I have the expectation that someone won't be inconsiderate (Mr. Camry was being inconsiderate)
3. To compare breakage in a store to a door ding is odd. If you break something in a store you are expected to buy it....."You break it, You buy it" signs are posted in some stores. So in theory if you damage someone's car you are expected to make it right

I suspect Mr. Camry will run into the wrong guy one day and come out to find windows busted, headlights/taillights busted and 4 flat tires.......with a note saying sorry I was inconsiderate, hope you have good insurance since you caused this by parking next to me!

I agree. If someone dings the doors of my BMWs, they will be paying to make it whole again.

Old 09-16-2013, 07:48 AM

645 posts, read 991,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
Wow! This doesn't really deserve an answer.

I was sitting outside Mile High Stadium with my family in 1985 in my week-old '86 Jeep Grand Wagoneer, just waiting for the gates to open for a Bronco game. Next to us were some guys in a newish Cadillac, just sitting there like we were. Suddenly, BAM! Our Jeep shook from the force of their door hitting ours. I was stunned. They all took off on the run and I got out to inspect the big dent in my door.

After the game we got back to our car before they did and I waited a couple minutes for them to show up, then approached the driver about it. His response was like City Guy's probably would have been: "It's just a Jeep."

That peeved me. My Jeep had a higher sticker price than his Cadillac, and I so informed him. He ignored me, climbed in his car and started the engine. I wouldn't have it. I told him if his car moved I'd be stomping on its hood. So he asked what I wanted. "An apology and a promise from him (the guy who slammed the door into mine) that he'll be more careful in the future." I got both.

I'm not proud of my behavior, and had the Broncos not lost that particular game I'd likely have not said anything, let alone lost my cool, but the slammed door while I was sitting there, the Bronco loss, and finally the "it's just a Jeep" was more than I could handle.

Incidentally City Guy, the Jeep was basic transportation, but I've always taken pride in my cars and have tried to keep them like new. The cars left in my garage that weekend included a fully restored '57 Buick convertible and a nearly new Porsche. I respect others' cars whether I've seen them on a magazine cover or not.

Oh, and I have dinged a car in a parking lot once. It wasn't with my door, but I looked away for a second and dinged the rear bumper of another car as I was pulling in. It didn't dent it, but it did scuff the paint. I gave the guy $50 to get some rubbing compound and fix it himself and told him if that wasn't enough to let me know and I'd pay whatever it cost. I had to wait for him to come out of the store, but I wasn't going to ignore it like so many do.
IMO, you let that guy off easy. If some idiot put a ding in my car - and mind you, I drive an old Chrysler minivan - and they acted like this fool, I would put a ding in his forehead!

I was raised to respect another person's property. I, in turn, raise my children to do the same. It does not matter if it is an old beater or a six figure sports car. Shame on you OP for raising your children to think it is somehow justifiable to damage another person's property simply for your own convenience. If you find that you can not get your kids out of the car without dinging the car next to you, do what all us considerate folk do - move your car. At the very least, if you can not move it, and you accidentally leave a door ding - leave a note and offer to pay for the damage. That is the only right and civilized thing to do.

Old 09-16-2013, 07:57 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,189,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keim View Post
I think you sound like a self centered asswhole.

But, that isn't why I am writing.

Your analogy is poor. It's more like being stuck sitting NEXT to the smoking guy and getting cancer from his second hand smoke. I have no control over his boorish behavior, but I still get handed the short end of the stick.

You may also wish to check with your local stores about that "breakage" policy you keep quoting. Around here stores expect you to buy anything you break.

Especially if it is a "mom and pop" store and they don't have an insurance policy that covers accidental breakage. Chain stores can afford some breakage. It is just added to their shrink numbers with theft.

I saw an episode of Judge Judy one day where the case involved hitting someones door. One woman had a jacked up monster truck and when she opened the door to get out, it slammed into the side of a car next to her. Her excuse, was that she could not help it because she needed to use the door to climb in and out of the truck due to it being so high off the ground. Judge Judy layed into her an threw the book at her and required her to pay all the damages to the other persons vehicle.

Old 09-16-2013, 08:07 AM

2,861 posts, read 3,866,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post

I suspect Mr. Camry will run into the wrong guy one day and come out to find windows busted, headlights/taillights busted and 4 flat tires.......with a note saying sorry I was inconsiderate, hope you have good insurance since you caused this by parking next to me!
I've heard "keying" is popular and subtle enough to do without drawing unwanted attention.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive