Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 03:36 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,720,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
You don't have to haggle or hassle at all at any car dealerships -- just pay what's on the sticker.
So true!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2013, 07:50 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,124,544 times
I took the advice offered in this thread and filled out the request for a quote forms - you know the ones that promise an e-mailed quote.

And I got: an e-mail claiming that they had tried to contact me but the phone number provided had been disconnected. EXACTLY why I gave a no good phone number - do not call me.

And where's my quote?

I've been going back and forth with dealers both here in TN and back in NY for a month now. I have yet to get a quote by e-mail.....or in person. I have walked out of dealerships saying I might be back in December unless i find what I want sooner.

1. I'm profoundly hearing impaired - functionally deaf. I am not willing to even begin to negotiate verbally. If it isn't in writing, it isn't happening.

2. I bought my last car via internet. Hassle free, at the dealer I wound up buying from; not from the 2 switch and bait dealerships who contacted me first. At least then I'd gotten everything by e-mail. BTW, that was 11 years ago before using the net was standard. NOW? pfffft.

I'm fed up. I am expecting that the car the dealers refused to sell to me at the price I offered will be offered to me come December. Oh well - their loss.

Old 09-23-2013, 10:14 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,152,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
I took the advice offered in this thread and filled out the request for a quote forms - you know the ones that promise an e-mailed quote.

And I got: an e-mail claiming that they had tried to contact me but the phone number provided had been disconnected. EXACTLY why I gave a no good phone number - do not call me.

And where's my quote?

I've been going back and forth with dealers both here in TN and back in NY for a month now. I have yet to get a quote by e-mail.....or in person. I have walked out of dealerships saying I might be back in December unless i find what I want sooner.

1. I'm profoundly hearing impaired - functionally deaf. I am not willing to even begin to negotiate verbally. If it isn't in writing, it isn't happening.

2. I bought my last car via internet. Hassle free, at the dealer I wound up buying from; not from the 2 switch and bait dealerships who contacted me first. At least then I'd gotten everything by e-mail. BTW, that was 11 years ago before using the net was standard. NOW? pfffft.

I'm fed up. I am expecting that the car the dealers refused to sell to me at the price I offered will be offered to me come December. Oh well - their loss.
I find when asking for a dealer quote, to be very specific with make/model/options. Otherwise, their goal is to get you to come in.

For example, "I need a quote for a Subaru Outback 2.5 Premium with sunroof, cargo net, and tow package, in blue or red. Please include a VIN in you quote."

Better yet, get a quote from Costco or Truecar and shop that around.

Old 09-24-2013, 11:56 AM

219 posts, read 484,150 times
Thank you to all who took the time to reply. The information you shared will be very helpful to me.

Old 09-24-2013, 04:23 PM

1,956 posts, read 3,639,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller88 View Post
To the original post - good luck getting a base model Versa. Nissan dealers make it pretty clear that they have no interesting in selling anything other than the high end Versa.

I tried to buy a base model one back when they were $9995 and had no A/C or Radio. I was , literally, laughed out of two different Nissan dealers.

I did find a used one, for $12K ... $3k more than it originally sold for.
This. A dealer might advertise a stripper to get inquiries, but good luck getting it. Sometimes I think the dealers order them to hide in a garage somewhere just so they can legally advertise they have one for sale.

I bought a new '08 Versa at the very beginning of the model year. I looked at the inventory of a lot of dealers, and some even showed me cars that were still in delivery. I wasn't really looking for a stripper (I wanted an SL hatch with a specific options package) I did notice a few S (base) models around, but none of them were strippers. I ended up buying the exact car I wanted in my choice of color while it was still on the train from Mexico.

The Versa is a good car for the price, and mine has been very good to me as far as maintenance. No repair costs outside standard upkeep in six years. I'd buy another.

Old 09-26-2013, 09:29 AM

6 posts, read 28,387 times
Hi,

It's important to play to your own strengths when negotiating any deal. Whether you are relaxed and personable, or "in your face" like some closers at dealerships, car negotiations are most successful when you feel you are in the right. The fact is that the auto dealer is not your friend but rather a money changer who is out to skin you. So, do your homework, learn your rebates and your car's trade in value.

Old 09-26-2013, 10:37 AM
C8N

1,119 posts, read 3,230,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post

And where's my quote?

Yep... that's the game they play. Even by phone they will try to get you into the showroom.
They are basically trying to make you play by their rules and they have all different types of reasons as to why. For some reason this is important to some of them.

When I bought my cars, I simply reply back to them via email that I have already test driven the vehicle and I know that this is the car I want and I tell them specifically which model, trim, options and color. In the same email, I low ball them a figure and tell them that if they agree to that particular price, I will be at their showroom that night with down payment in hand. Some bite and others dont but those that do bite, they start telling me what they can do and cannot do. Usually ends up with a counter offer which I then take the best one and shop that price with other dealers in the area in person.

Have had good success thus far.

Old 09-26-2013, 12:28 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,720,668 times
Brother wanted a popular car and local Dealers where take it or leave it with high Dealer markups.

He got on the phone and reached a Dealer about 125 miles away in a rural farming part of the State.

Dealer really wanted to sell it... said he had to take one fully loaded... even though he has no market for it.

Simple and painless transaction at a great price.

I can't fault the local Bay Area Dealers... they were selling all they had even with the high markups...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive