Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 07:14 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,175,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
Not a fan of any kind of stick on crap, be it stickers, decals, fake vents, etc. Best case scenario it looks out of place. Worst case scenario it looks ricey and dumb.

It is referred to as the "Puerto Rican Package" available at any AutoZone or Pep Boys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2013, 07:22 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,391,312 times
I like to put custom but not oversize wheels on most cars provided they re better looking than the original wheels.
Many custom wheels are hideous.

IMO BBS LM is the best looking wheel ever. It is the preferred wheel for most pro road racing teams.

Old 10-17-2013, 07:33 AM

39,230 posts, read 27,611,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
I like to put custom but not oversize wheels on most cars provided they re better looking than the original wheels.

IMO BBS LM is the best looking wheel ever. It is the preferred wheel for most pro road racing teams.
yeah i do too

Old 10-17-2013, 07:35 AM
C8N

1,119 posts, read 3,227,784 times
Form vs function.... I think this is the debate here.

The question becomes what are you trying to accomplish? Better performance or just improve on aesthetics?
For me, it needs to do both in most cases as there are accessories out there that meets both form and function.

Heck... if an HKS sticker alone on my fender meant that my car will gain 10% increase on hp, then I am all for it. If not, that's pretty tacky in my humble opinion. But at the end of the day... it's your car and you are free to do whatever you want with it.

Last edited by C8N; 10-17-2013 at 08:02 AM..

Old 10-17-2013, 07:58 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,231,738 times
Stickers or badges that suggest the vehicle is something that it is not, such as "M" on non M BMWs, or a "turbo" badge on a non-turbo car, are tacky. Who are they fooling? The owners know they don't have a turbo, so what benefit is there in a poor attempt at deceiving others? Fake anything is tacky, and does nothing to improve the appearance.

I wouldn't put a vinyl wrap like the one shown on my car, but I can see where some would like it. Just not my thing.

My attitude is that form should follow function, for the most part. Any accessory that degrades performance is to be avoided.

Old 10-17-2013, 08:05 AM

39,230 posts, read 27,611,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
Stickers or badges that suggest the vehicle is something that it is not, such as "M" on non M BMWs, or a "turbo" badge on a non-turbo car, are tacky. Who are they fooling?
LOl just like those women carrying fake designer bags. Same mentality..

Old 10-17-2013, 08:07 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,294,323 times
I've done a lot of paint and sticker, wheel and tire, and scoop/spoiler customizing on cars. Here are some of them that i've done over the years:

I used to own a shop that did custom paint and bodywork, as well as custom wheels.

Old 10-17-2013, 08:08 AM
C8N

1,119 posts, read 3,227,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
LOl just like those women carrying fake designer bags. Same mentality..
Sorry to derail this thread but this reminds of Chris Rock...

Chris Rock women lie - YouTube

Old 10-17-2013, 08:47 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,765,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
Not a fan of any kind of stick on crap, be it stickers, decals, fake vents, etc. Best case scenario it looks out of place. Worst case scenario it looks ricey and dumb.
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
A wrap is better than an unusual paint job. When you're ready to sell, unusual paint could make the sell harder. Right size rims (those not excessively large) are a good selling point. Peel and stick imitation vents are tacky. Decal stickers are also tacky. Well executed pinstripes can accentuate a car's appearance without being bold and tacky. I like decorative pieces that serve a function. Body color and molded mud guards, functional hood scoops, fog lights, good size aftermarket rims, properly aimed headlight lenses with high output bulbs, LED indicator lights (turn signals, brakes, & tail lights), leather bra (bug & rock protection), window tint (comfort and UV protection), and shift grip (made to fit your hand comfortably) are all examples.
Quote:
Originally Posted by C8N View Post
Form vs function.... I think this is the debate here.

The question becomes what are you trying to accomplish? Better performance or just improve on aesthetics?
For me, it needs to do both in most cases as there are accessories out there that meets both form and function.

Heck... if an HKS sticker alone on my fender meant that my car will gain 10% increase on hp, then I am all for it. If not, that's pretty tacky in my humble opinion. But at the end of the day... it's your car and you are free to do whatever you want with it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
Stickers or badges that suggest the vehicle is something that it is not, such as "M" on non M BMWs, or a "turbo" badge on a non-turbo car, are tacky. Who are they fooling? The owners know they don't have a turbo, so what benefit is there in a poor attempt at deceiving others? Fake anything is tacky, and does nothing to improve the appearance.

I wouldn't put a vinyl wrap like the one shown on my car, but I can see where some would like it. Just not my thing.

My attitude is that form should follow function, for the most part. Any accessory that degrades performance is to be avoided.
Thank you, voices of reason. Yeah, it's a free country, I'm a bone stock gal myself.

Old 10-17-2013, 09:45 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,294,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
Thank you, voices of reason. Yeah, it's a free country, I'm a bone stock gal myself.
For me, there's damn few production cars that I would ever leave in their stock, mass produced, compromized by committee form. Almost no car is as the designer intended, to start with, due to manufacturing, engineering, and budget realities. So at best, they make a great starting point for further development and personalization. As an individual, I want my cars to reflect that, rather than reflect the bean counters that compromized a production car to what it ends up as as it rolls off the mass production line.

Certain exotics and certain classics are the exceptions to that, however (the ones that are limited production and as their designers intended with no interference from bean counters and committees).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive