Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2009, 06:22 PM

2,715 posts, read 11,904,578 times

Advertisements

Just wondering. I was thinking of buying a car that came off lease. My mechanic said people who lease never change their oil--why bother they don't own it.

I know a few people with leases that maybe change their oil every 10-15K miles.

Carfax shows no maintenance records--of course they may have not gone to the dealer (which is the only way they would show up on carfax).

Is there any way to tell if a car coming off lease if the oil was ever changed?

2006 Toyota 4Runner Sport 35K miles.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2009, 06:30 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,419,089 times
Yes. You're required to take care of the vehicle.

Old 07-28-2009, 06:35 PM

17,213 posts, read 57,052,961 times
Leased cars get the minimum maintenance required by the manufacturer - Some people take good care of a leased car but some don't.

Consider an off-lease BMW. For the most part, while it would be getting the good BMW synthetic oil, I think it would get it's first oil change at 15K miles...Particularly for the first oil change on a new engine I think that's a little harsh.

Old 07-28-2009, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Leased cars get the minimum maintenance required by the manufacturer - Some people take good care of a leased car but some don't.

Consider an off-lease BMW. For the most part, while it would be getting the good BMW synthetic oil, I think it would get it's first oil change at 15K miles...Particularly for the first oil change on a new engine I think that's a little harsh.

BMW has exceptionally precise sensors to read the oil, and will not pay to change it until the vehicle says it's time.

Old 07-28-2009, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
Yes. You're required to take care of the vehicle.
That means little from my experience.

My friend had a 99 Infiniti I30 with 60K miles on lease (maybe 1 oil change) with no documentation required went to an Infiniti QX4 (60K miles later again with maybe 1 oil change) turned it in for an Infiniti QX--no documentation required.

1.5 years ago turned it in and not for another Infiniti--went with a boring Mercedes this time, but still no documentation required

Old 07-28-2009, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfrisco View Post
That means little from my experience.

My friend had a 99 Infiniti I30 with 60K miles on lease (maybe 1 oil change) with no documentation required went to an Infiniti QX4 (60K miles later again with maybe 1 oil change) turned it in for an Infiniti QX--no documentation required.

1.5 years ago turned it in and not for another Infiniti--went with a boring Mercedes this time, but still no documentation required

OK.

So get a mechanic to look at the car. It's not as if it's something difficult to ascertain.

Or better yet, pick one with that's been manufacturer-certified.

Old 07-28-2009, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
OK.

So get a mechanic to look at the car. It's not as if it's something difficult to ascertain.

Or better yet, pick one with that's been manufacturer-certified.
Thanks,

My mechanic tells me there is no way to ascertain whether the oil has been changed before. Obviously a dealer would put new oil in it so the oil looks fresh to someone pulling a dipstick, but it doesn't mean the previous owner ever changed it. Just saying.

Old 07-28-2009, 07:27 PM

17,213 posts, read 57,052,961 times
What you can do, and about all that is practical to do IMHO, is get a good flashlight and look into the oil fill hole (assuming it's on the cam cover like BMW, if it's on a long stem like a Subaru there is nothing to see) and look at the cam lobes you can see, any scoring? Look around, is it clean in there or not? Look at the bottom of the oil fill cap, is it fairly clean or covered with sludge?

You may be better off with a cheaper car bought directly from an individual, someone who owned the car outright and so had "some skin in the game".

A lot of the "tarting up" that dealers do is aimed at covering small flaws, rather than "providing the customer a car that needs nothing". You probably knew that. I would much rather get a car that needs an oil change and a set of tires, so I can look at the dirty oil and look at how the tires wear pattern is, this information is worth more to me than an oil change (one last chance for Mr. Pimple Face to cross-thread the drain plug...) and a set of cheap tires...

Old 07-28-2009, 07:36 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,440,930 times
FWIW I know a guy who does oil changes every 25k miles and has 280,000 miles on the original engine in his cavalier and it doesn't burn a drop.

Me? I change it every 3k miles, but I drive that about every 8-10 months.

Old 07-28-2009, 07:39 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,147,120 times
I wonder the same thing about some people who buy their cars. I've had enough bad experiences that I only buy new anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive