Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2013, 08:06 PM

3,477 posts, read 6,515,659 times

Advertisements

First off let me say I keep both my cars in the garage. I want to protect the finish as long as I can and keep them safe from possible theft/breakins. Recently I've notice more garage doors up in my neighborhood during my comings and goings (for whatever reason). I've always notice that the majority of people seem to have their vehicles in the driveway or on the street, but the reason is pretty shocking. These garages are stacked to the rafters and from the inside wall to the garage door with junk. Sometimes there's a narrow walkway to the door, but often its impassably packed with stuff. First thing that popped in my mind was "That's gotta be a fire hazard" and then "I bet they have rats/mice living in there".

I can't see keeping tens of thousands of dollars worth of car/truck out in the elements so you can store a couple hundred dollars worth of junk in the garage. Do you use your garage for its intended purpose? How about your neighborhood in general?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2013, 08:20 PM

2,698 posts, read 12,178,737 times
We have an oversize 2-car garage. My wife's car is always garaged (unless I'm working on something), and my motorcycle is on my half. My other vehicles are parked outside. One wall of the garage is set up with all my tools and automotive stuff; the other is storage for house stuff, mostly painting supplies and Christmas decorations.

Most folks in my neighborhood keep at least one car in the garage, and while I'm sure some use theirs as giant storage bins, they don't keep the door up that long to notice.

Mike

Old 10-18-2013, 08:24 PM

3,763 posts, read 5,864,669 times
Have a 2 car garage that we park both of our cars inside. Although we have a lot of stuff, I always make sure that we can park cars in there. They are protected and have lasted longer as well.

Old 10-18-2013, 08:25 PM

3,433 posts, read 5,749,458 times
I keep my car in my carport.

I am not interested in being featured on Hoarders on TV.

Old 10-18-2013, 08:37 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,713,495 times
Isn't it amazing, BeauCharles?

Many of my neighbors keep their garage chocked full of worthless stuff with little more than a "Donkey Trail" for access while their expensive vehicle, or vehicles sit "abandoned" outside in the brutal elements of the Desert Southwest.

Not me . . . neither of my vehicles ever "sleep" outside and the stuff goes in the dumpster.

Old 10-18-2013, 08:37 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,692,569 times
If my things can't fit in the house and displace a car from the garage, either I have too many things, or too little house.

Old 10-18-2013, 08:52 PM

129 posts, read 516,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Isn't it amazing, BeauCharles?

Many of my neighbors keep their garage chocked full of worthless stuff with little more than a "Donkey Trail" for access while their expensive vehicle, or vehicles sit "abandoned" outside in the brutal elements of the Desert Southwest.

Not me . . . neither of my vehicles ever "sleep" outside and the stuff goes in the dumpster.
Wait a minute, you don't want to fill your garage to the ceiling with useless junk you purchased from dollar general and K-Mart's, plus two overflowing kitty litter boxes and a fully decorated Christmas tree from 10 years ago next to that empty fridge that's still plugged in? Insanity I tell you, there must be something wrong with you.

All of that stuff has memories attached to it, and is worth SO much money to collectors. What are you planning on leaving your children??

Old 10-18-2013, 10:40 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,237,950 times
When I bought my house I promised myself I would not be one of those people with a garage full of stuff and cars in the driveway. I had one car. Fast forward a few years, and I had a car, a truck, a motorcycle, and a waverunner on a trailer. 4 grills, big toolbox, bench, all the yard stuff etc., etc. I barely had a walkway around the car, and the truck was in the driveway. Since then I've purged, but the truck stays outside. If I bring it in there is no room left for anything else, and it's old anyway.

Old 10-18-2013, 11:35 PM

1,977 posts, read 6,866,365 times
We have a 2.5 car garage, the half is a builder option and converted to an office. We store the lawn mower/tools/X-mas tree in the half and park the 2 cars in the garage. We used to have 3 cars and the one with faded paint to the primer would stay out. If I get a new toy car, the older car would be out.

In our neighborhood, most people have cars worth over $40K parked outside and garages full of "stuff" to the brim. I have assumed most of these cars are leased, don't get proper wash and wax either.

Old 10-19-2013, 04:12 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,615,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauCharles View Post
First off let me say I keep both my cars in the garage. I want to protect the finish as long as I can and keep them safe from possible theft/breakins. Recently I've notice more garage doors up in my neighborhood during my comings and goings (for whatever reason). I've always notice that the majority of people seem to have their vehicles in the driveway or on the street, but the reason is pretty shocking. These garages are stacked to the rafters and from the inside wall to the garage door with junk. Sometimes there's a narrow walkway to the door, but often its impassably packed with stuff. First thing that popped in my mind was "That's gotta be a fire hazard" and then "I bet they have rats/mice living in there".

I can't see keeping tens of thousands of dollars worth of car/truck out in the elements so you can store a couple hundred dollars worth of junk in the garage. Do you use your garage for its intended purpose? How about your neighborhood in general?
^^^THAT...
Yes, we reduced the amount of crap we store in the garage to put both our cars in. I can replace the crap, I cannot replace my vehicles. Lot's of neighbors have so much crap in their garages it is mind blowing. I couldn't do that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive