Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 07:16 PM

2,341 posts, read 12,046,980 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Actually, I already had the repairs done at those prices. I got factory warranty on the brakes (3/36) and the remanufactured starter, which were both done at the Honda dealer. The clutch, pressure plate and throwout bearings are all new. They also resurfaced the flywheel and replaced the main seals. The warranty is 1 year/12K miles.

I definitely needed these things done. The brakes were locking and smoking (rear rotors were shot -- seemed strange, but I had another guy check it and he agreed). The starter just flat didn't work, period. Turn key, nada. The clutch was slipping so bad the engine raced every time I tried to climb a hill (which we have plenty of out here, not to mention mountains ), and accelerating onto the freeway was an adventure in high RPMs.

I tend to agree with you on keeping the car. I still like the way it drives and looks. And now that it starts, shifts, and stops, it seems better and better --- especially when I compare it to the price stickers on the new and used cars I see on lots....

Thanks a lot for your comments.
Sorry I didn't understand that you had already gotten the work done.

Again, I'm inclined to think you should keep the car. The Accords of that vintage are good machines. You should easily be able to get another 100k out of this car.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2013, 07:24 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,085,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
I have a 1998 Honda Accord EX, 4-cylinder standard shift, A/C, alloy wheels, moonroof, power doorlocks, windows, and driver's seat. 139,400 miles. (I bought it in 2003 with 70,000 on the clock for about seven grand.) I have two sets of tires on wheels: Bridgestone Blizzak snow tires which I use each winter (I live in the inland Pacific northwest, where we get lots of ice and snow), and Bridgestone Turanza summer highway tires which are still very good.

Here's my dilemma: since returning to the States this past April from a job overseas, I have had the following repaired at these costs:

Brakes: $346.61
Starter: $353.38
Clutch: $958.28

Total: $1658.27

The car as it stands is worth about $2500-$3000 as a private party sale, or $1200-$1500 as a trade-in. Selling it outright would barely cover my recent repair bills. On the other hand, figuring that a comparable low mileage newer used car would cost anywhere from $15K to $20K, I'd be looking at monthly payments in the $300 range, which would equal what I spent on the recent repairs in six months -- with another three or four (or five?) years of payments to go. Not to mention higher insurance costs.

A newer car would give me peace of mind and security and be much more fun to drive. But I don't drive that much, anyway (less than 10K miles per year -- I'm retired.)

If I keep my Honda, there is not much else major that could go wrong anytime soon, aside from the engine itself (knock on wood -- I religiously change the oil and drive very conservatively.) The car gets very good mileage and is quite comfortable. It's given me ten good years of service.

As a retiree, I am on a modest fixed income. A brand new car is out of the question for me, though I could probably swing a late-model used car to replace the Honda.

My question to Forum members is: what should I do? Keep the Accord, now that I've fixed just about everything fixable, and drive it into the graveyard (meaning ITS graveyard, not mine )? Or should I look to have it detailed and sell it for as much as I can get, and look for another vehicle?

Thanks in advance for your comments.
The only way you can get full value out of the repairs you did is to drive the car till the wheels fall off.

Are you back in Spokane? You should shop around and find a bit cheaper shop.

You may be due for a timing belt change, get the water pump done at the same time, if you do that or have recently done that you should be OK just buying gas, tires, and oil for at least 60K miles. Maybe more.

Old 11-06-2013, 07:26 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,724 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Low mileage / quality car, decnt tires and equipment, owner history, sunk costs. I would recommend keeping it.
For any 'adventures / trips' I rent
(even locally) via hotwire or Priceline (~$12 / day unlimited mileage).

Consider finding a different mechanic (Honda specific with high recommendations... there are many)

Dealer repair costs are typically double, as evidenced by your reported costs. You cannot afford to keep a used car if you depend on dealer for repairs. As a retiree, I do my own repair and parts (only) for your above are less than 1/4th. (For my VW fleet). I Hate mechanicing, but it saves me a bundle, and worth my time (I 'shoestring' retired pre-age 50, so would rather work on cars a few hours / yr than WORK 2-3000hr / yr). Recently I bought a car that had receipts from a 'mobile mechanic' They were excellent rates. (I will seek this mechanic to do the work I dislike).

BTW: Having lived overseas a few times I am usually disappointed to return home and find repairs necessary for appliances and cars. (seals / bearings / fuel / tires / brake fluid...). I'm getting ready for another assignment in Asia and considering what to do with my own fleet...(30+ vehicles / tractors / motorcycles / dozers).

Old 11-07-2013, 12:19 AM

2,310 posts, read 6,826,941 times
I have a very similar situation as OP. Every few yrs, I'd get a set of repairs just when I thought it runs pretty smooth. The latest were tie rod ends - inner/outer both sides. Would ve been 600 bucks but found a family friend who did the work (parts were just around 100).

I save tons from low insurance rate and state excise tx. So it's hard to get rid of it - esp. Since I also don't drive much either. I'd rather have the 15k (or whatever the next car will cost) sitting in the bank than on the driveway. I do want something more fun to drive one of these days.

Old 11-07-2013, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmyk72 View Post
I have a very similar situation as OP. ... I do want something more fun to drive one of these days.
Hint:... if from NE USA... buy a used VW Gti or TDI, Audi A3, Volvo Turbo awd 6 spd,... or any other FUN car in TX, AZ, CA and fly down and bring it home via the 'scenic route'.

U can use it for a season, then resale locally as a 'rust free' and recapture your flight ($89) and expenses + enought extra to pay for another trip!.

I had a friend that did that every month while he was stationed in Dallas and family was in WA. He was making ~ $2,000 each.

Old 11-07-2013, 03:15 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
I love buying used cars like the op's. i'd consider this particular car well maintained and low mileage and good for another 100K with proper maintenance, $2500? its a steal.If its running well and there are no major rust problems keep the car.

Old 11-07-2013, 03:32 AM

301 posts, read 922,172 times
sometimes i feel like i'm the only one who still drives a stick shift. glad to know there's someone else out there...LOL

Old 11-07-2013, 04:45 AM

1,831 posts, read 3,201,438 times
What you could do is keep the car for a few more years and if you happen to take a road trip, just rent a vehicle for the trip. Weekly rentals are fairly reasonable.

Old 11-07-2013, 05:19 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,765,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmyk72 View Post
I have a very similar situation as OP.

I save tons from low insurance rate and state excise tx. So it's hard to get rid of it - esp. Since I also don't drive much either. I'd rather have the 15k (or whatever the next car will cost) sitting in the bank than on the driveway. .
yup it's a keeper.

Old 11-07-2013, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant$ View Post
sometimes i feel like i'm the only one who still drives a stick shift. glad to know there's someone else out there...LOL
37 of my 39 vehicles are stick! I often get 300k + from a clutch (which I only use at stop lights, not stop signs)

Whoops- my John Deere, Case Dozer, and Bobcat are Hydros (but not counted in the 39).

Also the "Pink Lady Yamaha" I will inherit from my 85 yr old mom (when she is done with it).
http://www.flickr.com/photos/50479800@N00/7168339152/

For Fun??? I got a new mustang for Fall colors in NH. ($13.day) It handled TERRIBLE (wheel hop and sway... give me a $35 German Rabbit with Bilsteins) ANd I had to fill it TWICE a day !!!

I much preferred a Focus SXZ? that got 39 mpg for 3,500 miles in one week and cost me $4.95/day on Hotwire !!

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 11-07-2013 at 07:43 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive