Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2013, 06:16 AM

6,707 posts, read 5,937,576 times

Advertisements

Same problem with a 99 Forester. The Subaru service center said they can't fix the radio illumination short of replacing it for some exorbitant price. Stupid design in my opinion.

I checked on eBay and found the OEM radio/CD unit for about $500, and Crutchfield carries a nice replacement Sony or JVC for about $400 with modern features like mp3 cd and an aux out. In the end, we traded the car in because of some much bigger problems. 13 years and 175,000 miles, not too bad I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2013, 07:22 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,231,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
So a place that specializes installing radios would also be very knowledgeable about an circuit board illumination problem like this then? If it was a bulb or fuse issue it would be easier to fix and would have been completed at the dealer.
Nope...

What he ^^^ said.

Finding a place that does board level repairs is becoming more difficult every day.

Old 11-10-2013, 07:52 AM

1,009 posts, read 1,990,240 times
Even back in the day, the Stereo Light on the 70's Ford radio's had to be sent back to the manufacturer to be replaced. The radio's were built by either Philco or occasionally Motorola and that's who you had to sent it to. You could however change the dial illumination bulb by yourself.

Old 11-10-2013, 08:42 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,290,523 times
If you bought the car used and the lights have never worked, it could be that some "do-it-yourselfer" had a non-stock radio in there, then reinstalled the factory radio before selling the vehicle. And did not properly reconnect all the wiring.

So it could be something as simple as a wire not connected.

If the problem is in fact with the radio/CD, you may be able to get a cheap replacement at a wrecking yard.

People who repair electronics are able to take these apart and replace bulbs or track down the problem if they have a vehicle factory wiring diagram and a voltmeter.

Old 11-10-2013, 02:03 PM

26,421 posts, read 46,591,155 times
Ok, thanks for those links. I will look into it.

Old 11-10-2013, 02:09 PM

26,421 posts, read 46,591,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
If you bought the car used and the lights have never worked, it could be that some "do-it-yourselfer" had a non-stock radio in there, then reinstalled the factory radio before selling the vehicle. And did not properly reconnect all the wiring.

So it could be something as simple as a wire not connected.

If the problem is in fact with the radio/CD, you may be able to get a cheap replacement at a wrecking yard.

People who repair electronics are able to take these apart and replace bulbs or track down the problem if they have a vehicle factory wiring diagram and a voltmeter.
They were working when I bought the vehicle a couple years ago, but went out a number of months ago. I have just been busy and haven't looked into if further. Appears to be a bad design if you can't replace a simple bulb easily without completely taking things apart or having someone else do it.

Old 11-10-2013, 02:17 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,879,364 times
Probably the cheapest fix would be replacing the stock radio with an aftermarket stereo. If you get one with a usb input (to play from a flash drive) you will not miss the 6 disc cd player either.

Old 11-10-2013, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
They were working when I bought the vehicle a couple years ago, but went out a number of months ago. I have just been busy and haven't looked into if further. Appears to be a bad design if you can't replace a simple bulb easily without completely taking things apart or having someone else do it.
Bulbs like that often never go out. It would be economically impossible to design eveything for simple bulb replacement, or for any other part. There are dozens of examples in auto design that I've run across where service access was obviously not a concern.

Old 11-10-2013, 10:47 PM

6,707 posts, read 5,937,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
Bulbs like that often never go out. It would be economically impossible to design eveything for simple bulb replacement, or for any other part. There are dozens of examples in auto design that I've run across where service access was obviously not a concern.
The thing is... they charge a premium price for OEM stereo systems. As I recall, when I chose the premium sound system for my Subaru Forester back in '99, it was like $1200 or something. For that kind of money you'd expect the darned light bulb to not go out.

I can understand that with all the vibration and extreme temperatures, electronics are going to age more rapidly than my stereo receiver which still lights up and works just fine after 20 years, but still.

Old 11-11-2013, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
The thing is... they charge a premium price for OEM stereo systems. As I recall, when I chose the premium sound system for my Subaru Forester back in '99, it was like $1200 or something. For that kind of money you'd expect the darned light bulb to not go out.

I can understand that with all the vibration and extreme temperatures, electronics are going to age more rapidly than my stereo receiver which still lights up and works just fine after 20 years, but still.
Ever see a Bentley repair shop? Full of very expensive broken Bentleys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive