Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2013, 03:55 PM

1,892 posts, read 2,532,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
I actually really hope the OP comes back and posts what he decided to do, and how it turned out. I think it would be interesting, and possibly a learning experience.
I posted a response yesterday saying that I intend to pay the ticket and consider it lesson learned. I commend all those who always use their turn signals, I know they're the small minority of drivers. I was at fault 100% and accept responsibility. Although human nature leads us to compare ourselves to others and their behavior, I know I was wrong and there's no excuse, I just got unlucky and got caught. I know I see this kind of behavior literally every few minutes everyday when I drive and have rarely seen someone pulled over for it. I just hope the cop that pulled me over does this to all those that don't use their turn signals like I did. It's just really frustrating, not because I have to pay, but because the vast majority of times this happens there isn't a cop in sight to pull the person over. And for all those dog piling on me for the last time: I was wrong and I'll try to get into the habit of using my signals more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2013, 03:59 PM

1,892 posts, read 2,532,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuiltforSin View Post
I'm thinking you should use your signals next time. They're there for a reason, and it takes literally one second to flip the switch to either side. You will get no remorse from me.

Also, tell the judge you don't think you should have to pay the $194 and tell me what he says.
You are absolutely right. I'm just going to pay the fine. I was guilty of doing exactly what irritates me the most about others driving habits. Looks like I've become just like the drivers I hate

Old 11-23-2013, 05:29 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,005,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeCPA View Post
You are absolutely right. I'm just going to pay the fine. I was guilty of doing exactly what irritates me the most about others driving habits. Looks like I've become just like the drivers I hate
Haven't we ALL at one time or another!

Old 11-23-2013, 06:21 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,027,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
California Motor Vehicle Code does NOT require a signal if there is no other fraffic that would be affected. So check your state law and make the cop show that there were other vehicles present whose movement was actually affected by the lane change.

22107. No person shall turn a vehicle from a direct course or move right or left upon a roadway until such movement can be made with reasonable safety and then only after the giving of an appropriate signal in the manner provided in this chapter in the event any other vehicle may be affected by the movement.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d11/vc22107.htm
Thats kind of ambiguous. Also see:

V C Section 22108 Duration of Signal

Duration of Signal

22108. Any signal of intention to turn right or left shall be given continuously during the last 100 feet traveled by the vehicle before turning.

V C Section 22108 Duration of Signal

If you don't signal at all, then you are not meeting the requirement to signal continuously during the last 100 feet traveled by the vehicle before turning.

Also if a cop is there to pull you over, then his vehicle would be the affected one. The ticket would probably stand up in court.

From the CA driver's handbook:

California Driver Handbook - Safe Driving Practices

Signaling

Always signal when turning left or right, changing lanes, slowing down, or stopping; it lets other drivers, motorcyclists, bicyclists, and pedestrians know your intentions.

Signals may be given by hand-and-arm positions or by using the vehicle’s signal lights. If bright sunlight makes the signal lights hard to see, also use hand-and-arm signals.

http://apps.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/hdbk/signaling.htm

Last edited by KaaBoom; 11-23-2013 at 06:34 PM..

Old 11-23-2013, 06:31 PM

1,391 posts, read 2,645,975 times
As someone who is constantly inconvenienced, occasionally annoyed and seldomly endangered by being kept in the dark as to other driver's intentions when they can't be bothered to use turn signals, you need to just shut up about a turn signal ticket. Personally, I wish they were issued far more often in every area where I've lived. Pay up and carry on with your life.

Old 11-23-2013, 06:51 PM

3,041 posts, read 7,933,545 times
I was commenting to wife today that for the most part,drivers today and turn signals are like in early 50's when vehicles didn't have signals,arm signals, and we wished we did.we now have them but do not use them.

Old 11-23-2013, 06:55 PM

9,145 posts, read 14,762,210 times
For those questioning the costs I mentioned I can tell you it's very common in my area for an attorney to charge $100 over the ticket cost to take care of simple tickets. They do multiples in a day and can make decent money.

My wife and I have unfortunately had to avail ourselves of these services more than we probably should have.

Old 11-23-2013, 06:56 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,733,179 times
i dont understand why youd get two tickets, it seems you could talk your way into just one. things i dont like about turn signals:

- the person using them acts like that alone will stop all traffic in the lane they are turning into and everyone will accommodate them entering the lane.
- conversely, the people that block off others from entering a lane when a lane is about to end...so the driver blocks everyone else and rides the bumper in front of them, saving them virtually zero time and increasing the accident hazard

Old 11-23-2013, 07:02 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,027,344 times
Quote:
The other cars behind me were at least 100 feet behind in 20 mph traffic between stop light, and I inconvenienced no one. While I understand there could have been a car that I didn't see (hence the need for turn signals), I literally see people doing exactly what I did every couple of minutes on the road while I'm driving, and a lot worse.
Not a valid argument. You don't do it because they don't do it. They don't do it because you don't do it. Then nobody does it. You were obviously not the only one on the road. The real question is what did you do to attract the cops attention out of all these drivers who were not using their turn signals?

Not using your turn signal one time, the cop could probably ignore it. Not using your turn signal multiple times while you have a cop right behind you, got you pulled over. You obviously have issues with turn signal use.

Old 11-24-2013, 06:08 AM

25,847 posts, read 16,522,667 times
Quote:
I just received a ticket for a turn signal violation, which I'm guilty of. It's a $97 fine, which I would pay but I just checked the ticket and the officer wrote down my violation twice so it's a $194 fine. I apparently switched lanes twice without signaling. I can pay the $97 but don't want to pay the $194, that's excessive, I wasn't speeding or endangering anyone. I'm thinking of challenging this in court. Should I do this? Anyone have experience with turn signal violations tickets? Looking for advice on what I should do, I really don't think I should have to pay $194 for failure to use my signal. Thanks in advance.

Can you explain why you don't use your turn signals? I see this a lot and I've always wondered about the person's mindset. Do you not want to give a warning for fear that people won't let you in?

The new thing I see lately is they speed up, jam on their brakes and just kind of swerve into a lane right in front of another car. Even when there is light traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive