Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2015, 09:42 AM

17,629 posts, read 17,696,894 times

Advertisements

This could be interesting. Camaro, Mustang, & Challenger have retro mid to late 60s inspired designs. What if Chevy and Ford decided to pick another era model body design to inspire the next retro model, which model would you pick? Keep in mind that modern crash safety regulations would mean the proportions wouldn't be exactly the same. For Camaro I'd say move up to the next generation of the 1970s. It would be a bit wider, hood not as long in proportion to the passenger compartment, and it may be made into a hatchback for more functional storage space. But if they get the details right it could look sweet. It could be a cross between the 70s and late 90s Camaro making it a different design without being a true retro design using styling clues of past models as inspiration instead of base design.

The Mustang should skip the 1974 era entirely. The ones that ended in 1973 were huge with very little rear visibility. That massive rear window let it nearly as much of the sun's heat as the AMC Pacer. That's why many of the sports cars of this era had the fixed louvres on the back and side windows. I'd go a different direction. I'd go with the 1980s first Mustang GT. the simple and clean design was the start of the return of performance to the sports cars. It's design was unique for its time and was unlike any Mustang ever before. Just make sure it doesn't end up with all the plastic panels that got attached to it in later years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2015, 06:52 PM

2,706 posts, read 3,383,576 times
IMO, when the Mustang first went retro, they hit the mark, the Camaro missed by a mile....the Challenger also hit the mark, and continues to catch my eye.....don't care for what the Mustang is morphing into. Would like to see a version of the Plymouth Superbird

Old 06-21-2015, 07:09 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,832,764 times
Every mustang after 1970 was ugly up until the retro came out. I will give the 1971-73 a pass because they are not bad looking at all really and I like them, but looks wise do not compare to the 1967-1970 ones.

The camaros looked great only 1967-69. They were not "too bad" 1970-1981? or when ever that ridiculous body change came out (though very popular), and an even more ridiculous change that looked like a large Geo storm.

I say keep with the retro they have going on, change for the sake of change is dumb. The body styles were never better looking than what the retros are based off of. Everyone knows this.

The challenger I admit is pretty nice looking and does hit the mark, I was never a fan of the retro camaro, I thought they could have done a much better job with it.

Old 06-21-2015, 07:43 PM

1,030 posts, read 4,279,089 times
Chevy shouldve done the Chevelle. It seems to fit along side the Challenger rather the Camaro

Old 06-21-2015, 08:26 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,260,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beer belly View Post
IMO, when the Mustang first went retro, they hit the mark, the Camaro missed by a mile....the Challenger also hit the mark, and continues to catch my eye.....don't care for what the Mustang is morphing into. Would like to see a version of the Plymouth Superbird
I agree completely, and I don't think anyone would want to by anything retro that looks like the cars from after 1972.

Old 06-21-2015, 09:00 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,251,035 times
I never liked the 60s camaros. Having ridden in one as a kid, I never thought they were very nice.

I did own an early 70s camaro, and even though it was a crappy car, I liked it and would probably still have it, were it not stolen.

Old 06-21-2015, 09:01 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,938,069 times
I'd like to see a performance Torino. The Mustang is too small for my 6'4" bod, I can't even get in one. Torino would be more ideal for my size guy. Although not totally aero, the 66 Chevelle is a dandy and the best looking of the series. Just think, a retro 66 Chevelle with an LS7 6.2. I'd be game!

Old 06-21-2015, 09:15 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,898,571 times
All three look like they aged along with those who might have owned one; they are bloated and overweight. Those were pony cars; fairly light with long hoods, short trunks and a powerful V8. 4 speed made 'em really fast though Chevy's TH350 was great for consistent 1/4 runs.
The new cars may have great engines but the bodies are too bulky and look cumbersome. The Dodge is better than the Chevy and the Mustang fits in between the two as far as bloat is concened. I haven't driven any and don't really care to. I had a 69 Camaro w/327 and Turboglide tranny. It had quick ratio steering for the track and the guy I got it from had put new quarter panels, fenders and hood on before giving it a sweet paint job. The stripes were painted on rather than being decals. The steering wheel was one of the typical skinny ones but the car was light and easy to drive, especially at high speeds. Those were pretty cars and far better than the whales they call Camaros today. The last Camaro I liked was 1971. When the 5mph bumper was put on vehicles they went to hell cosmetically. The Firebirds of the same years were sweet as well. The most recent Trans Ams are cartoons.

They can't replicate a car or come lose to what they were. Seat belts weren't mandatory when the 60's cars were built though I wore mine. The 69 Camaro had a shoulder belt and I wore that.

Old 06-22-2015, 03:51 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,854,718 times
I am a Ford guy at heart, but I still think the Challenger is the only one that captured the true essence of the earlier versions. When I see one of the new ones on the street I can see a lot of a 70 Challenger in it.

Camaro missed by a mile, and the Mustangs were fairly close, but not perfect.

Don

Old 06-22-2015, 04:38 AM

2,861 posts, read 3,853,348 times
Back in the day, we owned new 69 and 70 Z-28s and a 70 AAR Cuda. They were very nice cars then and actually fairly common among all the other great street iron of the era. To me these old cars bear little resemblance to the 'retro' models of today...and as a result I don't see much else worth 'retroing'. It really doesn't work that well. Redoing it repeatedly would just water down both old and new ones.

The only modern versions that get my second glance are Mopars. (To me) their aura still feels a bit like the old ones. Notably, the modern Camaro, though a very fast car, is nothing like the early cars in look and personality. (...and I have never owned a Ford of any kind... no offense intended... so I have no opinion of the new Mustangs to contribute. I will say that I recall a few special 'stangs of the late 60's and early 70s that were pretty nice.)

I have no interest in riding in any of the modern cars...let alone owning one.

Of course I'm old now and will always enjoy my memories. Going to occasional car shows and seeing the old iron keeps memories sharp without having to own such a car now...and I know that while driving them occasionally would be fun, they really had some shortcomings compared to modern iron. Nevertheless, I'm glad some folks still have 'em. and hope there are always a few around somewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive