Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 05:42 PM

227 posts, read 745,717 times

Advertisements

I’m looking at making a car purchase within the next month. I live in Michigan, and my work commute is about 1 hour both ways. I'm looking for a car that's reliable so which would be a better choice? I'm also trying to spend under 19K.

Also I'm a recent college grad so I'm looking to take advantage of recent grad financing, also i'm going to put 2k down+ 2001 Chevy impala trade in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2013, 05:51 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,231,171 times
I would advise to sell the Impala. Trade-in value would be very low. Trade in on my 2012 Honda is now only $14000 and it was a $23000 car. Makes me sick.

I like both cars. I was in a 2014 Corolla LE yesterday at a local dealer. The interior is much higher quality than the previous model... and the 2014 models has a padded dash. Tops of the door panels are still hard plastic. The front doors seem to sound a little cheap when closed. I really like them. The new Cruze seems to be getting a little dated, but also a nice car.

Old 11-25-2013, 06:03 PM

3,963 posts, read 5,696,709 times
Neither. I like the Kia Forte personally though the Subaru BRZ is just sensational.

Old 11-25-2013, 06:19 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,231,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Jacket View Post
Neither. I like the Kia Forte personally though the Subaru BRZ is just sensational.
I agree. I love the new Forte! I was a little sad when I seen the poor small overlap crash test however (but so does the Corolla - the Cruze rated marginal). Other than that, it get high safety marks. It rates excellent in side and moderate overlap frontal crashes.

Vehicle Details

The Subarus are very safe cars and all seem to rate high in this test... as are the new Honda Accords/Civics.

Subaru Impreza...

Vehicle Details

Dodge Dart also earned an acceptable rating. HOWEVER, if this is not important to you, check out the new Corolla, Cruze or Forte.

Old 11-25-2013, 07:15 PM

457 posts, read 693,974 times
Between the two, I choose the Cruze everyday of the week. Having drove one I was very surprised by how well it drove. If I was looking for a boring A-B car that would be my personal choice.

Old 11-25-2013, 11:18 PM

1,976 posts, read 6,862,089 times
The Corolla has been proven to be one of the most reliable cars out there, boring, but reliable. Now the new ones mostly get a CVT transmission which might change things a bit. The new Dart is a nice car, but being it is a Dodge (well actually an Alfa Romeo that was made into a Dodge, but even Alfa is not known for reliability), the "expected" reliability is going to be lower than any Toyota. In real life what would happen is anybody's guess.

Since with either car you can get a lemon test drive both and see which one you like better. Then get price quotes for both and see if the more expensive one is worth that much more to you. Never easy...

Old 11-26-2013, 04:40 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,621,102 times
Mazda 3

Old 11-26-2013, 02:56 PM

929 posts, read 2,724,186 times
My advice, keep your current Chevy.
Spend your down payment money and show it some love.
But,
if you must buy a new car, buy a new Ford Focus.
Your list, the Chevy Cruize, but the new Toyota would be a good choice also. You should drive both, what fits you the best is your new car

I would steer clear of KIA, I think they are cheap for a reason and will not stand the test of time and miles,
just look at their older products.

Old 11-26-2013, 03:22 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,870,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider7811 View Post
My advice, keep your current Chevy.
Spend your down payment money and show it some love.
But,
if you must buy a new car, buy a new Ford Focus.
Your list, the Chevy Cruize, but the new Toyota would be a good choice also. You should drive both, what fits you the best is your new car

I would steer clear of KIA, I think they are cheap for a reason and will not stand the test of time and miles,
just look at their older products.
I have a '13 focus and I advise that the would-be purchaser please do their research on DCT or just buy a manual. I love the car but the auto in Dallas traffic sucks a big fat one.

Old 11-26-2013, 05:04 PM

227 posts, read 745,717 times
I'll do more research on the focus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive