Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2013, 04:12 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,229,302 times

Advertisements

I see this come up occasionally on auto forums. People say that dealers will install free wiper inserts. I don't know the particulars. Does this happen?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2013, 04:17 PM

2,341 posts, read 12,045,619 times
Perhaps on a car that you bought there. It would basically be their way of getting you into the dealership, so that they can tell you all the stuff that's wrong with your car and you need to pay them to fix.

Old 12-14-2013, 04:17 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,428,441 times
What is a wiper insert? Is it just a new rubber squiggie blade or something?

Old 12-14-2013, 04:27 PM

2,052 posts, read 5,873,209 times
I'm sure if a dealer offers it, it is just a way to get you into the dealership like was said. I know on my Pontiac (Toyota) Vibes, the Toyota wiper insert is IMO a better product than the aftermarket wipers, and often cheaper too. Plus you get to keep the nice stock wiper frames. The aftermarket frames are usually just cheap plastic or metal and don't look as nice.

Years ago you could always find just the rubber parts of the wipers at the auto parts stores. You just replaced the old rubber part, keeping the same metal wiper frame, and it was cheaper. But I'm sure people did not like the hassle of replacing the blades and just bought the whole new wiper with the frames, so now that is predominately what they sell.

Old 12-14-2013, 04:42 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,580 posts, read 81,186,228 times
Most auto parts will install them free, but you have to buy them first, and it's normally the whole blade, not just the insert. I replaced mine on two cars last week, and it only takes 1-2 minutes.

Old 12-14-2013, 06:35 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,229,302 times
I change my own and always have. And I seldom use the dealer for anything.

Old 12-14-2013, 09:20 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,082,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Most auto parts will install them free, but you have to buy them first, and it's normally the whole blade, not just the insert. I replaced mine on two cars last week, and it only takes 1-2 minutes.
You're thinking of something different. You're talking about the entire wiper blade, which part stores install for free. Some stores also sell the rubber inserts alone but they're not on the shelf last time I checked, they're in the back because not many people want to deal with the hassle of changing inserts. Personally, I don't think it's worth the hassle. 10 seconds to change the entire blade vs. messing with the inserts?

I'm not so sure they'd change out the inserts for you as it would take more time.

Old 12-14-2013, 10:35 PM

1,037 posts, read 3,162,917 times
There is no such thing as free. You already paid for it in some other way.

Old 12-14-2013, 10:48 PM

2,698 posts, read 12,174,224 times
When I worked at Kragen and AutoZone, we didn't "officially" install anything, but most of the time we didn't mind throwing on new blades or refills. I had one manager who would only install them if you bought the new blade since a) she didn't want to mess with refills and b) the blades cost more. She was a real piece of work, but the rest of us would do either. The only problem is I'd spend my entire evening in a parking lot going from car to car putting them on when it rained since everyone would buy them all at once.

I think refills have become increasingly unpopular because some of the frame styles on vehicles aren't really meant to have the rubber replaced and also because they're a pain to install if you haven't done it before. I can't tell you how many times I'd have people buy the refills, try to install them, and end up bringing them back in pieces after failing miserably. The trick was to NOT remove the little plastic pieces that held the whole thing together. Just slide the refill in and keep moving the plastic guys down until you reach a point where they have to come off, then just slide them off and drive it home.

Mike

Old 12-15-2013, 07:44 AM

19,128 posts, read 25,331,967 times
A lot has to do with your warranty coverage.
The Subaru "Bumper-to-Bumper" warranty covers everything on the car for 3 yrs/36k miles, including items that are not normally covered, such as wipers and brake pads.

Knowing this, when I took the car in for service at ~35k miles, I mentioned that the wipers were no longer doing a good job (even though they were still in fairly decent condition ), and that I would like to have the blades replaced.

It was done as I requested, gratis.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive