Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ?
Wait till right lane is clear 49 57.65%
Wait till the whole road is clear 36 42.35%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 04:12 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,268,404 times

Advertisements

BOTH. I will only turn into the right lane if traffic coming in the left lane is going slow enough to not only see me, but react to my turn and not change lanes into me. WHen I first started to drive, I would turn into the right lane even with traffic in the left and had a couple of close calls by cars changing lanes. This is even more likely to happen when turning from a driveway or smaller secondary street. So if you're behind me, unless you are willing to cover the cost of an accident, wait and be patient. And no, I'm not a timid driver; actually pretty assertive driver.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2013, 05:22 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,901,726 times
I only need one clear lane to enter thank you very much.

It irks me when folks grossly overestimate the risk of motorists going all Russia on you, or the amount of time and space required to safely complete such a simple maneuver. In most traffic situations you are just causing unnecessary traffic congestion. I bet these are the same people who cannot manage completing a turn in multiple turn lanes without freaking out or staying in their own lane.

Old 12-03-2013, 05:53 PM

1,588 posts, read 2,532,782 times
usually if just the right lane is clear.

My only exception to that rules is if the car has a turn signal to turn right before me but isn't slowing down. I see so many people almost get creamed assuming that a car with its turn signal on is going to take the first available right, 9 times out of 10 they put their turn signal on way too early then go past your position to turn into the next driveway.
What's worse is the speed limit is 45 so everyone does 60. I have had impatient aholes behind me thinking "the guy is obviously turning why isn't the car in front of me going." Then they impatiently honk. Then the car that the guy behind me assumed was going to turn, goes right by and turns into the next driveway. EFF em let e'm wait. I have never had an accident so I'm going to keep on keeping on.

I like that commercial contractors are now limiting access to busy shopping centers. One shopping area near my house has 70 driveways in one mile and it's always difficult to navigate. To make matters worse there are driveways across from driveways so you have people risking everything to get across 5 lanes when they could have safely gone down the next light and still ended up in the same shopping center, but how dare they have to take extra time to be safe.

Although, it is amusing when someone hits the lip of the driveway at 30 miles an hour and sends a shower of sparks flying and nearly crashes into someone in the parking lot.

Old 12-03-2013, 06:42 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,317,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
I do sometimes worry about crazy people weaving in and out of traffic without a blinker.
This^

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
This. I'm not ever in such a rush that I can't wait to make sure I won't get hit by a lane changer.
and This^

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
I voted the first option too. My default position is not to impede traffic in any way.

But if there's a wall of traffic, and the streets are icy or snow-covered....I'm going to be a tad more cautious. Haven't had an accident since 1979 despite living in snow and ice country and driving a TON and prefer to keep it that way.

My preference to maintain over three decades of safe driving trumps someone else's desire to turn 30 seconds fewer. Sorry.
This too...not sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
What if oncoming traffic has a green arrow and it is not a dual turn lane.
They are supposed to turn into the left lane and you could turn into the right lane but do you trust them to not turn into your lane?
Uh-huh...exactly right as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalMaineiac View Post
I don't go until I ascertain that it is safe to do so. You have to stop, and then yield the right of way to all other traffic. Maybe they're not supposed to change lanes, but that doesn't matter; you have a red light; it's your duty to stay out of their way.
Well said CM, very well said!

Old 12-04-2013, 08:58 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,268,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
I only need one clear lane to enter thank you very much.

It irks me when folks grossly overestimate the risk of motorists going all Russia on you, or the amount of time and space required to safely complete such a simple maneuver. In most traffic situations you are just causing unnecessary traffic congestion. I bet these are the same people who cannot manage completing a turn in multiple turn lanes without freaking out or staying in their own lane.
Fine. And you will pay to repair my car when an incompetent and inattentive driver changes lanes into me as I make my turn?! And will you pay my ticket since I will be the one who most likely gets ticketed? It almost happened twice to me. (One occasion I had to adjust and quickly enter the inner lane to avoid the accident). I typically have more time than money so you'll just have to wait.

Old 12-04-2013, 09:15 AM

4,836 posts, read 12,012,266 times
It really depends on the road, the time of day, the traffic, the weather, and the intersection. If it is a large suburban road with many lanes and spread out traffic I will usually go. But that is the exception where I do most of my driving. Smaller urban roads, busy traffic or late at night I wait for both lanes to clear. If it is three lanes I wait for the closer two lanes to clear. It is just not worth the risk. And this is Miami people don't use turn signals, they are pretty much illegal in Miami to use, at least people act like they are. Also I drive a SUV, not the best turning radius in the world.

Old 12-04-2013, 10:24 AM

1,151 posts, read 2,038,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
It really depends on the road, the time of day, the traffic, the weather, and the intersection. If it is a large suburban road with many lanes and spread out traffic I will usually go. But that is the exception where I do most of my driving. Smaller urban roads, busy traffic or late at night I wait for both lanes to clear. If it is three lanes I wait for the closer two lanes to clear. It is just not worth the risk. And this is Miami people don't use turn signals, they are pretty much illegal in Miami to use, at least people act like they are. Also I drive a SUV, not the best turning radius in the world.
It isn't like you'll be sitting there indefinitely, either. The red light will eventually turn green (a detail that some people seem to be forgetting).

Old 12-04-2013, 10:27 AM

2,798 posts, read 2,678,072 times
I don't have a general rule for such a decision. It depends on what is going on on any given day. traffic, weather, road conditions, and what I am driving.

Old 12-04-2013, 10:40 AM

452 posts, read 709,929 times
I only wait for the lane, however, I ride a motorcycle so I can move quickly if someone not paying attention decides to change lanes.

Old 12-04-2013, 01:39 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,691,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Cuz many times drivers will change lanes from the left to the right just in front of you. Happens too frequently.
That's why changing lanes at an intersection is illegal in all 50 states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive