Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 10:25 PM

143 posts, read 763,925 times

Advertisements

I've got one word for you: Hyundai. More specifically for a college aged student, the new Hyundai Genesis Coupe.

No other automaker can offer what Hyundai can right now. They've got the highest reliability and quality, even better than Honda/Toyota. But now they've also got luxury and high-performance, which you can not say about Honda/Toyota.

Hyundai's new Genesis Sedan is Lexus class but not nearly as expensive because Hyundai didn't have to go billions in debt creating a whole new luxury brand.

Hyundai's new Genesis Coupe is BMW performance but but because it's not technically a "luxury brand" everything is less expensive to maintain and you get a 10-year warranty. Hyundai also has the financial foundation of the millions of sensible, practical cars it sells and don't have to markup their cars nearly as high as BMW does.

5-speed automatic 2.0T: $23,250 MSRP
5-speed automatic 2.0T Premium: $25,500 MSRP (standard equipment below)

- 2.0L Turbo 4-cylinder Engine w/Dual CVVT
- Electronic Stability Control with Traction Control System
- Anti-lock Brake System with Electronic Brake-force Distribution and Brake Assist
- Sport-tuned suspension with strut brace
- Tire Pressure Monitoring System
- Front, side, side air curtain air bags
- Active front head restraints
- Power driver seat
- Driver’s lumbar support
- Trip computer
- Manual A/C
- Metalgrain and chrome interior accents
- Proximity key entry system with push button start
- Leather-wrapped steering wheel/shift knob
- Power windows, door locks, & mirrors
- Infinity Premium AM/FM/XM/CD Player
- USB/iPod/Aux jack connectivity
- Steering wheel audio controls
- Cruise control
- Auto light control
- Bluetooth connectivity
- Sunroof
- Electrochromic mirror with HomeLink and compass

http://www.hyundaiusa.com/images/vehicle/GenesisCoupe/trim/asset_upload_file477_21873.jpg (broken link)

Not sure how insurance is going to be. It's a high performance coupe but it's a 4-seater and a Hyundai. Your insurance company isn't going to charge you much for a practical Hyundai. At least not for a few years, hopefully.

If you're not into the Genesis Coupe, there is the accent and elantra but those models aren't as nice as the newer offerings. You might want to wait for the Elantra Touring that's coming later this year.

Gen Coupe colors

http://www.gcoupeclub.net/com/data/forum_news/forum_news_65_2009020815194178849_1.jpg (broken link)

Other than Hyundai, you said you liked Minis. In that case you should also check out VW Rabbits and GTIs, Mazda 3 hatchbacks, Smart Car even? But yeah, not going to be able to match Hyundai's reliability, assurance program, or value.

As far as car sales tax, I think you pay wherever you register the vehicle. And you're supposed to register the vehicle in the state of your current address. Not exactly sure if you need it on your license or not. Eh, someone else will hopefully be more helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2009, 11:31 PM

947 posts, read 3,411,986 times
I have an XD, scion

It is great i love it! i have been seeing more and more on the road!

Old 02-14-2009, 08:38 AM

1 posts, read 4,789 times
I would recommend the Honda Fit. Here is a list of the top 10 new cars under $17,000 [url=http://iguida.com/best-cheap-cars]Best Cheap Cars – The Top 10 New Cars Under $17,000 | Iguida.com[/url]

Old 02-14-2009, 08:50 AM

4,948 posts, read 18,710,890 times
You can look at the new model civis which have just come out, also the 2009 Fit is a great car
which you may want to check out! go to the honda web site and you can do built your car to get an idea of price.

Old 02-14-2009, 12:05 PM

4,237 posts, read 24,798,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
How do you learn how to drive a stick? Totally not a facetious question at all- not a single person in my family drives a stick and I'm pretty sure I don't have any friends with anything other than manual. I've been looking into manual for awhile but actually knowing how to drive one is kind of a biggie :P
I suggest attending a school for this if you dont have any friends to show you. They're actually easy to drive, the big thing is you have to learn to get the hang of it. It's the same as riding a bicycle...yes you're going to fall off when you can't keep your balance. But as soon as you do it comes natural to you and before you know it you're able to do it all by yourself not even thinking about it.

Stick shift cars are no different. The biggest obstacles you face are knowing how to let off the clutch at the right time and how to keep the car from rolling down a hill at a stop light. Once you've masterted these two then you can learn how to shift up and down which also takes a little getting used to but it's not bad. In all reality you might learn that you like a stick shift better once you've really gotten the hang of it.

Old 02-14-2009, 02:40 PM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,376,821 times
You should try to test drive as many as you can. Although I will tell you in my experience, smaller cars and imports, tend to have a better feel in regard to steering and pedal control. You hit the pedals and the car responds how you expect. Driving a larger car is more like steering a tugboat or U-Haul, it feels like floating.

As far as insurance, 4 dr and wagons will probably have the lower rates compared to sporty 2dr cars.

Old 02-14-2009, 03:41 PM

3,150 posts, read 8,726,903 times
Just don't get anything in real good condition because campus driving and parking is horrendous... I don't care where you go. I see idiots every day flying all over the parking lots, down the rows, then they whip into spots carelessly fling open their doors, etc. At night you have the real morons out driving around after throwing back drinks and they don't care if they hit anything. What gets me real f*ckin pissed is when the drunk asshats are staggering around on foot and decide to vandalize, jump on cars, throw stuff around the parking lots, etc. I have a winter beater that I will park anywhere on campus with but in the summer I have to park way the hell out where no one else goes just to avoid stupid morons damaging my vehicle.

Old 02-14-2009, 04:18 PM

324 posts, read 863,367 times
toyota corolla

Old 02-14-2009, 08:12 PM

3,743 posts, read 13,720,275 times
Mazda Miata - life's too short for boring cars!

Old 02-14-2009, 08:18 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,487,033 times
Guys look how old this thread is, my guess is the car has already been bought...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive