Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2013, 02:00 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,728,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
Auto-related topics tend to contain a higher % of dumb things versus other topics in my opinion.

Like someone still hating a brand because of something that happened with a rental car 12 years ago.

Like someone asking for an opinion about, say, a Chrysler minivan versus a Toyota minivan, and posters reply with stuff like how a 7 year old 2-door VW hatchback is the much better choice (and lo and behold...the poster owns...a 7 year old 2-door VW hatchback).

And so on...
I always love this one.

Thread topic "Should I buy a Fiesta or an Accent?"
26 responses of "buy a Toyota/Honda/every other answer BUT "Fiesta" or "Accent""
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2013, 05:13 PM

19,128 posts, read 25,336,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Person buys a new or nearly new car. Around 5 or 6 years old, the owner is angry with the car for leaving them stranded.

You must have a very different definition of "new or nearly new" than I do.
Five or six years old does not qualify for "nearly new" in my book.

However, I do agree that, as a result of inadequate automotive knowledge, coupled with the all-too-common inability to accept personal responsibility, many people ascribe problems with OLD cars to the manufacturer, when it would probably be more realistic to ascribe them to either the advanced age of the vehicle (and its components parts), or to lax maintenance.

Old 12-09-2013, 05:27 PM

17,314 posts, read 22,056,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Person buys a new or nearly new car. Around 5 or 6 years old, the owner is angry with the car for leaving them stranded. Problem was a dead battery but they still blame the company that made the car instead of themselves for not getting the battery tested BEFORE it left them stranded.

How about aggravated when the car runs out of gas despite warnings/lights/gauges?

My sister has a BMW X3, if you run it dry/and the engine dies the transmission cannot be shifted into neutral (she was trying to push it down the street into the gas station, no dice....had to buy a can and take the walk!).

Of course I always ask if gas is cheaper when you walk for it?

Old 12-09-2013, 05:31 PM

2,341 posts, read 12,046,980 times
"Can I Make It Home Without Running Out Of Gas?"

Old 12-09-2013, 05:37 PM

17,314 posts, read 22,056,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageLogic View Post
"Can I Make It Home Without Running Out Of Gas?"

Bad idea if you live 3 miles from the nearest gas station though!

Because it means you need another 3 miles worth of fuel to get back out to the gas station!

Old 12-09-2013, 05:41 PM

2,341 posts, read 12,046,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Bad idea if you live 3 miles from the nearest gas station though!

Because it means you need another 3 miles worth of fuel to get back out to the gas station!
//www.city-data.com/forum/autom...-gas-make.html

Old 12-09-2013, 07:12 PM

5,228 posts, read 15,294,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post

Considering I've daily driven cars that were over 30 years old when I had them, and regularly daily drive cars that were 10-15 years old, I'd say that 5-6 years old is "nearly new" and usually barely out of warranty.

Old 12-10-2013, 12:17 AM

1,956 posts, read 3,636,534 times
Uh, isn't six years about the average maximum lifespan for a battery?

My car is six years old and I replaced my battery about two years ago. Not because I was having trouble starting it, but because the power windows were starting to get a little weak in cold weather.

Old 12-11-2013, 06:43 AM

15,799 posts, read 20,513,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesster View Post
Uh, isn't six years about the average maximum lifespan for a battery?
Pretty much. If your battery is older than 6 years..you are a very lucky person. Usually about 4-6 years is the norm.

Being from an automotive background, working on cars as a hobby, and being a mechanical engineer by trade, i've seen and heard a lot of things that make me shake my head.

I do realize not everyone has a technical background to do their own DIY maintainence, or doesn't have the disposable income to spend $300-400 every couple months to pay someone to do it.

Old 12-11-2013, 08:30 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,273,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post

I don't think the OP was suggesting that a 5 or 6 year old car is "new or nearly new." He's saying that the subject would have bought a new or nearly new car - say, something under 2 years old - and had the problem when the car was 5 or 6 years old.

That being said, I tend to agree with Merc. Both of my vehicles will be eligible for antique plates in the next couple of years; so, relatively speaking, a 5 or 6 year old vehicle would actually be "nearly new" to me.

And in response to the original comment, having worked in the parts business for a number of years I used to see this all the time. I know one guy who swore he would never buy another Chrysler product because of a problem he had with an aftermarket replacement starter on a 15-year-old car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive