Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2013, 11:41 AM

533 posts, read 1,112,536 times

Advertisements

I learned how to drive in a Dodge Dakota and then before I moved away for college my parents bought me a brand new SUV (they got a really good deal on a new one because they were buying a new car for themselves at the same time, so there was a lot of negotiating room).

I'd say I live a pretty "active" life and I love doing adventurous things (kayaking, road trips, fishing) and I want a dog within the next year.

When my friends and I go to the beach or fishing I almost always drive because I don't mind, but I hate getting the inside of my SUV dirty all the time with all of our stuff (poles, towels, coolers, etc.) and I hate having to rely on other people when it's time for me to move big pieces of furniture. So, I'm thinking about saving money for a couple years to get a truck.

Any thoughts on what makes/models I should be looking at? I definitely want 4 doors, but I don't need anything huge or flashy and I'd like to get the best gas mileage possible.

I still have a couple years before I'm financially in a good position to get another car, but I wanted to really narrow down my search so I can plan for savings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2013, 11:50 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,012,483 times
There are not that many trucks, so you shouldn't have to search long. The full sizers from the big three, as well as Toyota and Nissan. You have a couple smaller normal pickups (Toyota Tacoma, Chevy Colorado), then there is the Honda Ridgeline which is sort of on it's own.

Check them all out. All have strengths and weaknesses, but only you know what your truly looking for as far as functionality.

Old 12-23-2013, 11:59 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
None get "good" gas mileage, even the Tacoma.

Old 12-23-2013, 12:14 PM

19,033 posts, read 27,599,679 times
None with good mpg. NONE.
If you want comfy ride and moderate off roading capabilities, Honda Ridgeline
If you want to adventurous vehicle, Chevy Avalanche.
Then you have the rest of the usual. Tacomas, Pathfinders, even a Mitsubishi.

Old 12-23-2013, 12:16 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,584 posts, read 81,186,228 times
The last truck that got good mileage was the Ford Ranger 4 cylinder, not made since 2012. The 4-door only had the little jump seats, though. I would consider the F150 with the V6, rated at 302HP and 17/23 mpg, or the Ecoboost V6 at 365HP/16/22 mpg. With the popularity and number made/sold there are often good discounts on new ones available.
You can beat that mileage with the 4 cylinder Tacoma, but will sacrifice power at only half the HP (150) for just 2mpg gain.

Old 12-23-2013, 12:17 PM

29,486 posts, read 14,650,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
None get "good" gas mileage, even the Tacoma.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Just curious, what do you guys feel is "good" mileage ?

Old 12-23-2013, 12:56 PM

533 posts, read 1,112,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Don't really need to off road - the main reason I want a truck is the bed! I want to be able to throw all of me and my friends beach/fishing/kayaking/hiking gear in the back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
The last truck that got good mileage was the Ford Ranger 4 cylinder, not made since 2012. The 4-door only had the little jump seats, though. I would consider the F150 with the V6, rated at 302HP and 17/23 mpg, or the Ecoboost V6 at 365HP/16/22 mpg. With the popularity and number made/sold there are often good discounts on new ones available.
You can beat that mileage with the 4 cylinder Tacoma, but will sacrifice power at only half the HP (150) for just 2mpg gain.
^This is exactly the type of info I was looking for. I know there's no good mpg with trucks, but I wanted to know the pros/cons of different ones. For example, if I were to go out and buy a truck today with no research I would've chosen the 4 cyl Tacoma over the V6 F150, but now that I know there's not that much of a difference, I wouldn't choose the 4cyl.

Also a heads up, I'm really active, but also a girly girl for the most part and know nothing about the maintenance of cars. So any info about that is good too.

Edit: I also just want to say that my current SUV gets about 16/22 - maybe even a little more on the highway. So I'm pretty comfortable with that range.

Old 12-23-2013, 01:12 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
here is one to consider, the explorer sport trac. basically an explorer with a small bed instead of a cargo area. decent fuel economy for the class of vehicle, and reliable as well.

Old 12-23-2013, 01:24 PM

1,123 posts, read 3,111,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggumbo View Post
Don't really need to off road - the main reason I want a truck is the bed! I want to be able to throw all of me and my friends beach/fishing/kayaking/hiking gear in the back.

^This is exactly the type of info I was looking for. I know there's no good mpg with trucks, but I wanted to know the pros/cons of different ones. For example, if I were to go out and buy a truck today with no research I would've chosen the 4 cyl Tacoma over the V6 F150, but now that I know there's not that much of a difference, I wouldn't choose the 4cyl.

Also a heads up, I'm really active, but also a girly girl for the most part and know nothing about the maintenance of cars. So any info about that is good too.

Edit: I also just want to say that my current SUV gets about 16/22 - maybe even a little more on the highway. So I'm pretty comfortable with that range.
I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think 4 doors is an option on the 4-cylinder Taco. You would have to go with the V6.

The Taco is the official 'bro' truck in my state. A guy, his dog, and bikes, boards, and camp gear. You see them everywhere. Plenty of women too. Their prices hold high, but also means you'll get good value when you sell it.

Old 12-23-2013, 01:42 PM

255 posts, read 660,712 times
There will be a diesel Colorado in a few years..Since you said you're still a couple years away, that might be something to research for you.

The "mid size" trucks are now the same size as "full size" trucks of 10 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive