Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 11:06 AM

17,622 posts, read 17,682,949 times

Advertisements

Buick Verano now comes standard with 2.0L turbo 250HP engine dropping the lame 2.4L engine entirely. Problem I see (besides brand perception and aesthetics) is it's the same engine as the Regal and close to the same price AND fuel economy. A relatively compact FWD upscale sedan like this could easily start with 50 less HP and still be viable with better fuel economy. To go this direction is to kill the Verano. Why buy a Verano when you could pay nearly the same amount, performance, & MPG with the better looking and slightly larger Regal? Only thing that would make this work is if they have some major changes in store for the Regal. Could they be working on a small DI turbo V6 with more power and similar MPG for the Regal? Could GM bring over its Opel 1.6L Turbo as a base engine for the Verano?

Last edited by victimofGM; 01-10-2014 at 11:25 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2014, 11:10 AM

2,668 posts, read 4,498,040 times
I already consider a Buick to be more on par with say Acura and Infiniti. I wouldn't put them next to Audi, that is Cadillac territory to me.

Old 01-10-2014, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchrider View Post
I already consider a Buick to be more on par with say Acura and Infiniti. I wouldn't put them next to Audi, that is Cadillac territory to me.
I was thinking like the Audi A4 or lower to compare with the Verano.

Old 01-10-2014, 11:36 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,697,549 times
Don't mention Audi in that conversation, different levels of brand.

Tier One Luxury: Audi, BMW, Mercedes, Lexus, Cadillac
Tier Two: Infiniti
Tier Three: Acura, Lincoln, Volvo, Buick

Among the brands Buick actually competes with, they are extremely competitive. By not trying to position Buick as a "true" luxury brand, GM leaves them free to compete up and down the price ranges and use platform shared vehicles. Buick can compete up in some classes against entry-level cars from Lexus and compete down against premium offerings from mainstream brands like the "Titanium" trim on certain Ford products.

However, the entire premise of your post is incorrect. All the engines in the 2014 Verano are carry-overs from last year. The base engine is still the 2.4L Ecotec and the optional upgrade (only available on the top trim level) is the 2.0T. So, I don't see where you got the information that the 2.0T was the only engine. The rumor mill for the 2015 is that it will drop the 2.4L in favor of the 2.5L with and without eAssist. The diesel engine slated for the Cruze may also find its way into the Verano. The 2.0T will remain as the performance engine.

There is little overlap between the Verano and Regal (base models are separated by around $8k). While the top end Verano shares the engine of the base Regal, the two have vastly different equipment load outs at that price point. You basically get to pick between a stripped Regal or a fully loaded Verano at the ~$30k price point. The one ace up the Verano's sleeve is that at that price point, you can choose a manual transmission option. You can't get a manual on the Regal unless you opt for the $37k+ GS. The manual 2.0T Verano's have become a bit of a niche market unto themselves.

Old 01-10-2014, 11:42 AM

2013 Buick Verano Turbo Update: A Regal Issue - Motor Trend

. The car is very quiet and it rides well enough, but for the 2014 model year, Buick has made the now-more-powerful turbocharged car the base model.

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...#ixzz2q1T0IerU Read more: 2013 Buick Verano Turbo Update: A Regal Issue - Motor Trend
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Don't mention Audi in that conversation, different levels of brand.

Tier One Luxury: Audi, BMW, Mercedes, Lexus, Cadillac
Tier Two: Infiniti
Tier Three: Acura, Lincoln, Volvo, Buick

Among the brands Buick actually competes with, they are extremely competitive. By not trying to position Buick as a "true" luxury brand, GM leaves them free to compete up and down the price ranges and use platform shared vehicles. Buick can compete up in some classes against entry-level cars from Lexus and compete down against premium offerings from mainstream brands like the "Titanium" trim on certain Ford products.

However, the entire premise of your post is incorrect. All the engines in the 2014 Verano are carry-overs from last year. The base engine is still the 2.4L Ecotec and the optional upgrade (only available on the top trim level) is the 2.0T. So, I don't see where you got the information that the 2.0T was the only engine. The rumor mill for the 2015 is that it will drop the 2.4L in favor of the 2.5L with and without eAssist. The diesel engine slated for the Cruze may also find its way into the Verano. The 2.0T will remain as the performance engine.

There is little overlap between the Verano and Regal (base models are separated by around $8k). While the top end Verano shares the engine of the base Regal, the two have vastly different equipment load outs at that price point. You basically get to pick between a stripped Regal or a fully loaded Verano at the ~$30k price point. The one ace up the Verano's sleeve is that at that price point, you can choose a manual transmission option. You can't get a manual on the Regal unless you opt for the $37k+ GS. The manual 2.0T Verano's have become a bit of a niche market unto themselves.

Old 01-10-2014, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
2013 Buick Verano Turbo Update: A Regal Issue - Motor Trend

. The car is very quiet and it rides well enough, but for the 2014 model year, Buick has made the now-more-powerful turbocharged car the base model.

Read more: 2013 Buick Verano Turbo Update: A Regal Issue - Motor Trend Read more: 2013 Buick Verano Turbo Update: A Regal Issue - Motor Trend
The article is written very poorly. What has changed is that Buick made the turbo motor the base engine on the Regal. What the article was comparing was whether someone should buy the Vernao turbo for $29k and change versus getting the base Regal for $30k and change. It's the opening paragraph that is very poorly written, but they go on to explain what they are actually comparing:

Quote:
The fuel economy of an automatic-transmission 2014 Buick Regal Turbo is 21/30 mpg city/highway, matching the automatic-transmission numbers of the 2014 Buick Verano Turbo. We’ve extensively covered whether the six-speed manual transmission makes sense in the Verano (it doesn’t), but the 250-hp 2.0-liter turbocharged engine feels like a worthy upgrade. So now that the refreshed 2014 Regal has a 259-hp engine as standard on the base model, the decision isn’t quite as easy.

The 2014 Buick Regal Turbo carries an MSRP of $30,615, not far off the 2014 Verano Turbo’s $29,990 base price. Regional incentives will probably push the Verano $1000-$3000 below the newly refreshed Regal, making the larger sedan a no-go for many. But let’s consider what you get for that extra money: a more exclusive body style, more rear-seat space, a slightly larger center-stack screen, eight-way power driver seat (Verano has a manual recliner), and an instrument cluster screen that doesn’t look like it would be at home on a Buick from the mid-2000s.
Many articles used to suggest getting the Verano Turbo instead of the base Regal. This is basically arguing that since the Regal now comes with the turbo engine as the base model, the Verano Turbo makes little sense unless you want the manual.

A quick trip to Buick's website to build a Verano will show you what I am saying is true:

2014 Buick Verano | Small Luxury Sedan

Quote:
The 2014 Buick Verano comes standard with a powerful 2.4L dual-overhead-cam 4-cylinder engine, delivering a spirited and responsive drive. The 2014 Verano Turbo offers impressive power with its 2.0L 250hp 4-cylinder turbocharged engine, going from 0-60 mph in as little as 6.2 seconds. This luxury sedan is thoughtfully engineered to keep you connected to the road with StabiliTrak® traction control and all-season tires.

Old 01-10-2014, 12:03 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
In order to survive Buick is trying to appeal to younger people, and lose that common perception that only people 60-80 drive them. So far they have made some progress, with features and using Tiger Woods and Shaquille O’Neal as spokesmen but the average Buick driver age is still 57 (down from 66).

Old 01-10-2014, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
In order to survive Buick is trying to appeal to younger people, and lose that common perception that only people 60-80 drive them. So far they have made some progress, with features and using Tiger Woods and Shaquille O’Neal as spokesmen but the average Buick driver age is still 57 (down from 66).
...and Buick is, I believe, the only brand to actually decrease their average buyer age over the past few years. The industry average buyer has aged up 3-4 years to 52 while Buick has aged down. It's really even more of a swing then it seems.

Old 01-10-2014, 01:45 PM
C8N

1,119 posts, read 3,227,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
...and Buick is, I believe, the only brand to actually decrease their average buyer age over the past few years. The industry average buyer has aged up 3-4 years to 52 while Buick has aged down. It's really even more of a swing then it seems.
That's interesting. I would have thought that it would have been Cadillac amongst GM brands.

Old 01-10-2014, 01:52 PM

1,943 posts, read 3,338,981 times
I've always liked Buick but I think they are on the same level as Lincoln and Acura. I sure wish they'd bring the Park Avenue back. As for the Verano I hate the rear chrome thing over the tail lights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive