Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2014, 04:13 PM

467 posts, read 1,044,764 times

Advertisements

Is it a side-impact safety thing? Putting as much distance as possible between the driver's seat and the door?

I just drove a bunch of cars. All the armrests in the doors were useless. Either too far away or too low. Some cars were so crappy they simply scalloped out a recess in the door instead of adding a shelf. Guess what? If you're tall and have the seat back, your elbow gets jammed in the door jamb..

Maybe I'm just getting old, but I'm starting to think new cars suck...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2014, 04:37 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,218,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastieTX View Post
Is it a side-impact safety thing? Putting as much distance as possible between the driver's seat and the door?

I just drove a bunch of cars. All the armrests in the doors were useless. Either too far away or too low. Some cars were so crappy they simply scalloped out a recess in the door instead of adding a shelf. Guess what? If you're tall and have the seat back, your elbow gets jammed in the door jamb..

Maybe I'm just getting old, but I'm starting to think new cars suck...
I assume you're driving sedans. I have that same issue, being a big, tall guy. The B pillar crowds me in any 4 door car smaller than a true fullsize. That's one big reason why I like big coupes.

Most of the time the armrest on a door panel is too low for me to use it comfortably in cars.

Old 01-11-2014, 04:59 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,648,632 times
I've never found it to be isolated to new cars. Most armrests are too low to be any use to me, because I would like to use them with my hands on the wheel. They do sometimes serve a use when I am not driving.

I usually rest my left arm up at the top of the solid part of the door where the window starts, with hand on the wheel. My right arm gets squat, always has, always will, even in most vans although a few of those have a useable right armrest.

Name a not-new car that actually has a high enough armrest, even on just the door side. I've never seen one.

Old 01-11-2014, 09:09 PM

558 posts, read 1,120,268 times
Well my 17 year old Suzuki (don't laugh it runs!) has NO armrests! I had to actually rig up my own, that's quite comfortable.

Now my dream car, the new Challenger, sits perfects inside. Armrest on door and center could not have been any better. I think for what you want you gotta look at bigger cars.

Old 01-12-2014, 03:15 AM

3,046 posts, read 6,286,173 times
The best ones in new vehicles I have been in have been the Challenger for me. The new mustang, ugly Camaros, all the Toyotas, Hondas, ford trucks, they just seem to be in the wrong place if at all. I did ride (didn't drive it) in a new 300 Chrysler, and it was ok, but still not where I'd want it either. Still far better than the new SS Impala my Sister just bought! Government Motors is screwing up big time!

Old 01-12-2014, 07:43 AM

17,285 posts, read 22,006,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12GO View Post
The best ones in new vehicles I have been in have been the Challenger for me. The new mustang, ugly Camaros, all the Toyotas, Hondas, ford trucks, they just seem to be in the wrong place if at all. I did ride (didn't drive it) in a new 300 Chrysler, and it was ok, but still not where I'd want it either. Still far better than the new SS Impala my Sister just bought! Government Motors is screwing up big time!
They don't make an Impala SS? They make an SS or the Impala but they are two different cars:
2014 Chevy Impala Sports Sedan | Trim Levels | Chevrolet

2014 SS Sports Sedan: High-Performance Sedan | Chevrolet

Old 01-12-2014, 08:56 AM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,730,641 times
The most comfortable vehicle I have owned was an Eddie Bauer limited edition Ford Explorer. I agree many vehicles today are just uncomfortable on the interior. My current ride is pretty nice though for a 2 seat sports car. I just did a 12 hr road trip and it was relaxing.

Old 01-12-2014, 09:38 AM

558 posts, read 1,120,268 times
^^^Explorer. Yeah I had a 97 Taurus and the armrest was awesome! You could flip it open and it would turn into a 2 cup holder, a flip open lid for storage and then it would creat a big storage hole under the armrest. It was a brilliant design actually and I wish more cars would do this. That was the only domestic I still miss. Loved that car for so many reasons.

Old 01-13-2014, 05:38 AM

9,131 posts, read 20,000,438 times
I find that some manufacturers are just far better with ergonomics than others, and I classify this into the ergonomics category. Also, armrests tend to be "one size fits all" too, and if you are not in their target "size" for a person, that one size may not fit you too well.

Old 01-13-2014, 08:51 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,258,305 times
I've noticed skimping on center armrests as well; as though they are designed for dwarves. I advocate for min-van type armrests that fold down on BOTH sides of the seat
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive