Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 08:49 AM

37 posts, read 142,077 times

Advertisements

My parents 2007 Saturn Vue hybrid has been down about 3 weeks and they finally got it to the shop. My mother just called and said it has no compression and would know more later...what can cause this? I do know about 2 weeks before it went down I told my father that it was shifting hard and this was just after he had the oil changed in it etc. So curious as to what could be the problem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2014, 09:04 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,668,651 times
No compression on any cylinder is bad. The most likely reasons are: blown headgasket, cracked/warped block or cracked/warped head. If there is only one or two that don't have compression, then it may just be something in the head, like a bent valve. It is possible, but unlikely that the timing belt went and you bent all the valves. Regardless, the first step is going to be removing the head and seeing what is going on. I would prepare for a major expense to get it fixed.

Old 01-21-2014, 09:06 AM

Yikes! Glad its not my car.

Old 01-21-2014, 10:00 AM

113 posts, read 619,215 times
I agree with what NJGOAT said. If it does come back and needs major engine work, make sure they give you a few quote options such as a reman engine from GM, an aftermarket engine like Jasper or check with the local auto parts stores such as Advance auto parts, they have access to engines, and also make sure to check out used, and make sure you opt-in for the used warranty, it is usually an extra 100 dollars but instead of a 30 day warranty, you will get a one year warranty parts and labor usually, depending on who you deal with.

Old 01-21-2014, 11:26 AM

2,341 posts, read 12,037,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Heathen View Post
My parents 2007 Saturn Vue hybrid has been down about 3 weeks and they finally got it to the shop. My mother just called and said it has no compression and would know more later...what can cause this? I do know about 2 weeks before it went down I told my father that it was shifting hard and this was just after he had the oil changed in it etc. So curious as to what could be the problem?
If it was running, then just suddenly stopped cold, my first guess would be the timing belt.

Old 01-21-2014, 12:36 PM

I just called him said he is still waiting to hear back from them. I know he driving it one day,next day we went to leave and it wouldn't crank...it was turn over but won't start up.

Old 01-21-2014, 12:41 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Timing belt most likely culprit (or timing / valve related issues) possibly bent valves if an 'interference' engine (Don't think Saturn is)...

not related to oil change (unless it was run out of oil.)... THEN it would be VERY noisy, and not be worth fixing.

It won't be 'minor', but will likely range from Timing Belt R&R - ($200) and up

We'll hope for something simple.

Old 01-21-2014, 02:03 PM

7,058 posts, read 9,074,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Heathen View Post
I just called him said he is still waiting to hear back from them. I know he driving it one day,next day we went to leave and it wouldn't crank...it was turn over but won't start up.
If it is 'turning over', then it is 'cranking'. Diagnosing 'no crank' is different from diagnosing 'cranking but not firing'.

Anyhoo...No compression at all? Or low compression? One cylinder? Or all cylinders?

No compression at all, on *all* cylinders would indicate to me that something seriously bad had happened- like valves punching holes in the pistons (as can happen when the timing belt fails in an 'interference' engine design)...but I should think that there would be some nasty noises heard when the engine is cranked.

Low compression on one cylinder could be bad rings, valve problem or head/head gasket problem. Two adjacent cylinders could be a head/head gasket problem.

Sounds like there is more to this, but you haven't been told all of the details...hard for anyone here to tell you anything reasonably accurate without more information. Everything we're throwing out is just guessing.

Old 01-21-2014, 02:11 PM

17,563 posts, read 15,226,764 times
Found this.. 4-cyl w/ no compression - SaturnFans.com Forums

Apparently the timing chains are known to jump on these engines. And.. The bad news is that it does appear to be an interference engine..Which likely means that in addition to fixing the timing issue.. You're looking at a valve job as well.

But.. Get it to a mechanic and get 'er diagnosed. Maybe you'll get lucky and there was no valve damage or something.

Old 05-11-2015, 09:53 PM

1 posts, read 32,157 times
08 dodge 2.4 avenger. 150 psi compression on cylinders 1-2-3 and o psi on #4. Is the most likely problem valves or injectors or rings.no timing chain issues. Replaced catalytic converter. Not the problem. So I'm down to the head and can't remove the 8mm torque bolts to remove the head.any suggestions and would you call it a valve problem? Thank you for any ideas or solutions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive