Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2014, 05:51 PM

8,051 posts, read 12,761,708 times

Advertisements

The bearings are shot on my old manual transmission and due to the cost of rebuilt VS factory new I opted for a new transmission. While looking at the "Core charges" for my old transmission it seems the rebuilders charge 300.00 for the core.

Seems to me I could recoup some of my investment in the new transmission if I sold the core. From what I gather the core is not very common. The rebuilders I contacted seemed very concerned if I had a core exchange when I was asking about a rebuild. Worst case I could sell the transmission as scrap metal and get a couple of bucks.

Should I ask the shop to put the old transmission in the bed of my truck after they remove it? It seems reasonable to me that since I bought a brand new transmission I still retain ownership of the old one.

Any ideas on how to sell the core? Is there a marketplace for this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2014, 06:37 PM

113 posts, read 619,215 times
Almost everyone wants the old transmission so they can rebuild and sell them as a rebuilt unit. I have seen used transmissions have cores, aftermarket transmissions have cores, reman transmissions from the dealer, and even brand new transmissions from the dealer all have a core charge. So yes, I would tell them to drain the fluid from the transmission and save it for you. If you get lucky find someone that wants the core before you leave the shop and they might send someone out to pick it up for you and save you the time and energy of moving that thing around.

Old 01-22-2014, 06:58 PM

7,514 posts, read 13,608,655 times
Usually when a shop lists a "core charge" on their estimate or actual bill, it means they will keep the old unit (if it is rebuildable), and then credit you the $300 on your final bill.

If it is not rebuildable (ie; too damaged to save), then you can keep it and sell it as scrap metal if you want. But you owe them the $300. In other words, a broken, but rebuildable, unit is worth $300 to them.

Old 01-22-2014, 07:04 PM

11,337 posts, read 16,691,416 times
Don't be shocked if they claim their price for the new install included the Core.

Old 01-22-2014, 08:31 PM

2,136 posts, read 2,311,014 times
A brand new part should never include a core, it is BRAND NEW, meaning that no core was used to manufacture it and that it is not refurbished or rebuilt. If they try to pull a core charge on you, call BS. That part is yours, you own it outright.

Now a "new" rebuilt/reman/refurb is another matter, then a core would be appropriate, none the less, that part is still yours and you can choose to "let them have it" so that you receive the core credit as explained above, or you can keep it and pay the $300.00 addtl.

What does your invoice and/or written estimate say regarding the exact description of the "new" part and is there mention of a core charge?

P.S. Just read your post again. You say it a brand new transmission, and if there is no core charge levied against the repair the rest of the discusion is moot. As for selling the core, the only interest will be transmission repair facility and they "may" wish to prurchase, but I doubt you would get $300.00 for it, although that knowledge gives you some bargaining power. Another way to look at it is to let the repair shop keep it as a "tip" and move on.

Old 01-22-2014, 08:32 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,157,503 times
Depends on how mechanical you are. If you can repair it and have the time to do so it might be a good idea, but then again, do you plan to warranty the work if you can sell it. If I had the choice of paying $2k for a tranny from a reputable shop or $1k from Joe Blow, i'd choose the $2k unit every time.

If you plan to keep it so that you can put it back in your vehicle if the new tranny goes bad, then how long do you think that might take?

I used to save a lot of parts from the mechanic so I could do something with them later, but eventually they just become more junk laying around the garage or shed.

Old 01-22-2014, 08:49 PM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times
Your prices probably reflects the cost of your new tranny...minus the credit you get for the "core deposit".

Old 01-23-2014, 07:49 AM

2,600 posts, read 8,785,881 times
Factory new needs no core, recheck to see if you did get a new one !!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive