Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2015, 01:39 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,234,188 times

Advertisements

I hope I'm posting this in the right place.

I am a long time Camry owner, this is my 3rd (and they last forever) but I drive back and forth from Canada to Arizona with all kinds of crap in the trunk and cabin and I'm wondering if switching to a Ford Escape would be better for me. Camry's have a big trunk but I'm assuming there would be more storage room in an Escape, does anyone know that for sure?

Anyone else have any info I should consider? I'd probably get a 4 cylinder as I want the best gas mileage - I think my Camry gets 35 or 37, anyone know what a 4 cylinder Escape gets?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2015, 01:46 PM

922 posts, read 1,149,852 times
If you are driving that far you need a reliable dependable car and Ford is not it. Get the Honda CR-V instead as its super reliable and as fuel efficient as Camry.

Old 03-25-2015, 02:03 PM

7,520 posts, read 13,636,965 times
How often do you make this trip ? Once a month, or once a year ? If only yearly or so, consider a rental trailer or car top carrier as needed.

Don't solve an infrequent problem with a permanent fix.

Unless you want to switch from a sedan to a SUV anyway

BTW, +1 re the CR-V

Old 03-25-2015, 02:30 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,190,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
I hope I'm posting this in the right place.

I am a long time Camry owner, this is my 3rd (and they last forever) but I drive back and forth from Canada to Arizona with all kinds of crap in the trunk and cabin and I'm wondering if switching to a Ford Escape would be better for me. Camry's have a big trunk but I'm assuming there would be more storage room in an Escape, does anyone know that for sure?

Anyone else have any info I should consider? I'd probably get a 4 cylinder as I want the best gas mileage - I think my Camry gets 35 or 37, anyone know what a 4 cylinder Escape gets?

Thanks
How can you be adventuregurl and buy the same car three times? Not only is that boring, that is a boring car. I admit the Camry is reliable transportation.

For storage space - just go to the dealer and look at one. That is better than looking at a spec sheet that lists cubic feet.

Escapes only come in 4 cylinder models now. You can see the EPA MPG ratings on their website. But it won't be as good as your Camry simply because it is a taller, bulkier vehicle.

Why not consider a Honda CRV or Toyota RAV4? Same class as the Escape. All are good vehicles. The Escape is the best looking, but not necessarily the best.

Old 03-25-2015, 02:53 PM

3,743 posts, read 13,710,076 times
If you want a bigger Camry, get the wagon version of the Camry, the Venza.

I hear Camry owners find it very exciting!

Old 03-25-2015, 03:45 PM

2,707 posts, read 6,235,885 times
Quote:
If you are driving that far you need a reliable dependable car and Ford is not it.
How dependable do you need? A couple hundred thousand miles with minimal maintenance seems pretty dependable to me...
That's why I've been quite happy with my Fords.

Near as I can tell, Honda is just a Ford with an inflated price tag.

To the original questions, a good friend is currently driving an Escape (she loves it!) and says she's averaging 25mpg. Space dimensions, OTOH, all have spec sheets, but the way they arrive at those measurements seems to vary. I would also recommend just checking them all out to get a real-world feel

Old 03-25-2015, 04:16 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,394,271 times
The new Escape is a great car for mountain driving. It has a Turbo 4. Get it in the Titanium trim and it's 7/10ths an Audi Q5.

Old 03-25-2015, 05:18 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,938,069 times
There's a lot to like with the new Escape. They are a lot quieter than the previous models and fuel mileage for the standard 2.5 four cylinder is 31 Hiway EPA. WE have the same engine in our new Fusion and it has all the power you need and we are beating EPA with ours by a lot for hiway driving. We're at 40+ hiway. But it will depend on your driving habits. The Escape comes with the standard Selectshift transmission and it's a dandy especially driving thru mountains. Just push the button on the shifter and it down shifts to hold speed going downhill. The 2.5 engine is a known tried and true long life engine. You'll be running it a lot longer than you'll want it with normal maintenance. My personal self, I'd avoid the EcoBoost engines. They are known to shear the oil bad and there's also fuel dilution that can kill an engine with the EcoBoost. If you just follow the 5000 mile oil change schedule and don't bother with the OLM you'll be fine. The Escape is a dandy car, I would suggest driving one and see if it fits your needs.

Old 03-25-2015, 07:06 PM

1,977 posts, read 6,866,365 times
Just bear in mind that the smaller CUV's are going to be noisier than you Camry. For short trips it might be okay, but on long trips, after 3 Camry's, you might have issues. Rent one for once before buying it.

Old 03-25-2015, 07:26 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,260,275 times
We love our 2014 Escape, 1.6 Turbo, 4WD. We get 22-23 around here, but on a road trip a couple of weeks ago to California and back we got 29. There is more storage in the back than our 2002 Liberty had. As for height, the Camry is 57.9", the new Escapes are 66.3", not much difference but better headroom, especially for back seat passengers. Get a 2014 or 2015, the 2013s had many issues as a brand new model.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive