Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2014, 07:47 PM

13,656 posts, read 9,717,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRPct View Post
Yes. Theres already tons of packaged turbo and sc setups. Ive driven a couple of the more modest turbo setups and it just about made the car perfect.
How successful have these setups been, with raising the entire torque curve by say 50 ft-lbs, all the way from idle?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2014, 10:53 PM

3,135 posts, read 11,894,623 times
My as well wait for the '15 WRX to be released and test drive it.

Subaru WRX: official details

Quote:
Cornering like a BRZ, the new WRX is 14 percent stiffer in front and 35 percent stiffer in the rump than the previous model, which Subaru says will make for a more linear, and more comfortable, drive. Extensive use of high tensile steel has created a body 27 kg heavier than the previous WRX, but with 40 percent more torsional rigidity.

Subaru has added an all-new Active Torque Vectoring System, which brakes the inside front wheel on a corner to transfer torque to the outer front wheel, as well as Vehicle Dynamics Control (VDC), which operates all four wheels to control yaw. These improvements have reduced body roll by 20 percent, giving it the same flat handling as the BRZ. Actually, Subaru claims its handling is “better than the BRZ”, and says the new turbocharged 2.0-litre FA-series Horizontally-Opposed Direct Injection (DIT) Boxer engine optimizes performance, with lower emissions.

2015 Subaru WRX Development - Official Video - YouTube

Old 01-27-2014, 11:04 PM

21,758 posts, read 28,094,478 times
The last WRX was borrrrring to drive.

Not sure who engineered the shifter/steering in the BRZ, but I'm guessing it was Toyota. It was never Subaru's strong point.

Old 01-28-2014, 06:05 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,024,066 times
well if they ever finally agree for one of the brands to bring out the convertible that's been seen as a concept (very s2k like), that would be a sweet ride and keep it separated from the wrx (seems to be a concern in the Subie camp)

Old 01-28-2014, 06:26 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
Considering how fast I was driving on really bumpy and a bit snow covered NH back roads last weekend in my 10 year old Outback Wagon I can barely imagine a RWD car with 1,000 less pounds and twice the horsepower. This car sounds like a blast. I'll just have to wait until they drop in price to my range.

Old 01-28-2014, 09:41 AM

1,030 posts, read 4,278,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Very fun little car. Steering was good...

The way you describe your experience Stylo, is exactly why I love my car. An old 97 VW GTi 2.0.

With the whole FWD thing aside, its such a fun little car to drive around curves. Has no real power under the hood but its torquey for what it is, and I can actually use most of the power I can get out of it.

Old 01-28-2014, 10:02 AM

21,882 posts, read 25,154,836 times
Quote:
Very fun little car. Steering was good, though lacking in feel compared to my previous Porsche. Great for electric steering though. Shifter was PERFECT. Great driving position. Interior is cheaper than the German stuff I've owned lately, but the price reflects that. Still better than the Corvettes I've owned.

It's very tossable and fun to drive on public roads. You don't have to get up to crazy speeds to enjoy it. This is coming from someone with a 420HP car. Yes, it feels underpowered - but power isn't the point. It's huge fun on tight, twisty roads which we have in abundance in CT. I rarely get to use all the power on my M3 right now.

Seriously considering getting one of those to thrash around at the track as a fun car. Eventually I'd like to save up for a 981 Cayman S as they drop in price used, so this could be a fun gap car.

Note: I've owned and tracked 11-second cars. I know a lot of people are going to point out how underpowered these cars are, but unless you've got a ton of experience at the track - you do not need much more power, especially on the street.

Anyone driven one?
No, not yet. Having not test driven one, I'd probably pick up a used S2000 instead. Same perfect shifter, drop top, same weight, maybe not quite as rigid, better looking, better interior (aside from the radio), same docile motor below 6,000 but with some punch above.

Probably my biggest perceived complaint would be the electric power steering... something the S2000 never did particularly well in either. Then again, I think we've just hit the point where steering feel has been engineered out. Compared to the old E36 and E39 BMWs (not even the M versions) which I pretty much benchline steering feel on, the newer BMWs are like driving a marshmallow. Probably didn't help that the last one I drove had variable steering. It was just like driving any other car in that respect. Heck, Ford I'd say does better with their focus. Too much going on at the front but just from a limited feel perspective.

Old 01-28-2014, 10:38 AM

2,256 posts, read 4,498,373 times
Quote:
The last WRX was borrrrring to drive.

Not sure who engineered the shifter/steering in the BRZ, but I'm guessing it was Toyota. It was never Subaru's strong point.

Boring?? a wrx regardless of model year is anything but boring. What was so "boring" about it compared to anything else used the same manner in the same enviroment?

Old 01-28-2014, 11:16 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,710,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRPct View Post
Boring?? a wrx regardless of model year is anything but boring. What was so "boring" about it compared to anything else used the same manner in the same enviroment?
With each gen, the WRX has gotten softer until this new gen. The 08'-13 WRXs much softer than 06-07'

I drove a 2000 GC 2.5RS with a WRX eng+tranny swap and that was the most fun gen overall. It corners well and very predictable.

I would love to test drive the 15' WRX and compare. My last test drive of a 09' was met with some ups and downs.

Old 01-28-2014, 11:21 AM

2,256 posts, read 4,498,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
With each gen, the WRX has gotten softer until this new gen. The 08'-13 WRXs much softer than 06-07'

I drove a 2000 GC 2.5RS with a WRX eng+tranny swap and that was the most fun gen overall. It corners well and very predictable.

I would love to test drive the 15' WRX and compare. My last test drive of a 09' was met with some ups and downs.

So a bit softer = all out boring? I think not. Clearly he has some kind of bias that doesnt allow for being very objective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive