Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 12:31 PM

3,433 posts, read 5,747,744 times

Advertisements

I live in a community where carports predominate.

I've lived here for nearly 2 years and have never seen a vehicle backed in a carport anywhere.

Where do all you posters live that it is so common ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2014, 12:42 PM

15,802 posts, read 20,513,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
I always pull through or back into parking spaces in the library, PO, mall or in village parking lots . Once I received a ticket for doing this as the rule was : face in. I wrote a letter to the Mayor telling him that AARP recommends this way of parking and I never heard anything again .

Is there any reason that I can not think of why pulling through and parking face out would be unlawful ? Is it dangerous somehow ?
Does your state have a front license plate requirement?

The only time i've heard it was illegal to back in was in state that do not require front license plates. The thinking here is to have the plate visible to the street or parking lot row so that an officer driving by (or the new automated scanning technology) can see the plate.

States with 2 plate requirements tend to not have this law

Old 01-29-2014, 01:50 PM

2,754 posts, read 7,424,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy52 View Post
Amazing that the vast majority of posters here proclaim they back into their garage, yet in my entire lifetime( 68 years ) I have never seen anyone do it, have never seen an open garage with a car facing forward.

I have always believed that posters on an internet site are rarely representative of the populace as a whole.
Agreed, the internet does not represent the population. Most people I know don't regularly post on internet forums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Does your state have a front license plate requirement?

The only time i've heard it was illegal to back in was in state that do not require front license plates. The thinking here is to have the plate visible to the street or parking lot row so that an officer driving by (or the new automated scanning technology) can see the plate.

States with 2 plate requirements tend to not have this law
Some places require you to park a certain depending on if you have a parking or garage permit also, so they can see it I suppose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
That's how I always park. I always try to give myself a quick exit...just in case.
Robbing liquor stores, are we??

Old 01-29-2014, 02:23 PM

6,560 posts, read 7,139,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NARFALICIOUS View Post
Back-in parking is safer than front-in parking in every instance I can think of.

The advantages far outweigh the disadvantages.

You do realize that both are exactly the same...what order you drive then back and back then drive are no different

Old 01-29-2014, 02:33 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,726 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Backing in is nice if you have a front mounted snow plow.

otherwise...(hitch mounted)
SnowSport Snow Plow, SnowSport 180 Snow Plow, Truck Snow Plow, Car Plow

I would back in if it weren't for the smell / soot / exhaust soaking everything in garage. As it is... I 'coast in' with engine off, and push the car out before starting it. I don't deal with EXHAUST smell, even my sweat and nice smelling Bio-diesel (French Fries)

As a commercial driver, I back in to parking spaces because it reduces risk / sight / backing errors. You can see and are aware of surroundings (kids pedestrians, cars, carts, traffic...) when you pull in, but you can see NOTHING backing out. (especially with new cars / limited sight through small rear windows)

After 1 million accident free miles... I even PASSED the commercial driver course for Fed Ex (it was rigorous) "Backing" is not tolerated. ! If you park your commuter car 'nose-in' in the Fed-Ex employee parking lot you will be reprimanded.

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 01-29-2014 at 02:42 PM..

Old 01-29-2014, 02:44 PM

6,560 posts, read 7,139,634 times
[quote=StealthRabbit;33240575]Backing in is nice if you have a front mounted snow plow.

otherwise...(hitch mounted)
SnowSport Snow Plow, SnowSport 180 Snow Plow, Truck Snow Plow, Car Plow

Who would buy this?!?!?! I ask because I own a snow removal company and that thing is a joke and useless. Get 6+ inches of wet snow and a car pushing it won't happen. Buy a snowblower instead, easier.

Old 01-29-2014, 02:49 PM

21,867 posts, read 25,154,836 times
Sounds like you need a new car rather than one of SealthRabit's fleet of aged diesels running on fryer oil.

Old 01-29-2014, 03:04 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,095,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
You do realize that both are exactly the same...what order you drive then back and back then drive are no different
Not true - WHen you back into a driveway or parking space you have to pull past it first giving you a chance to eyeball the area for obstructions (children, toys, pets, etc) then when you immediatly back in you are paying more attention. If you pull in and park you come out of the house, store, whatever later hop in the car and back out not neccessarily eyeballing the area below your sightline that you are backing into. Some organmizations require their drivers to put cones out in front and in back of their vehicles when they park so that the driver has to walk in front and behind their vehicle before driving off as a safety measure 9It was almost comical when a local heating contractor had a breakfast meeting at a restaurant and all the service trucks had an orange+green cone in front and behind them in teh parking lot. Some were chained to the bumpers ( Sort of told what kind of neighborhoods they worked in :-)). I also remember the 'back into your driveway' concept being taught in a defensive driving class when I was in the Air Force.

Oh in some places it is illegal to back onto a public road so you are supposed to have some kind of turnaround in the driveway so you don't back out.

Old 01-29-2014, 03:08 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,726 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
Who would buy this?!?!?! I ask because I own a snow removal company and that thing is a joke and useless. Get 6+ inches of wet snow and a car pushing it won't happen. Buy a snowblower instead, easier.
Probably someone living in the 'countryside' without their own snow removal company or equip (and living in a climate with light powdery snow).

Granted I don't have one (rear plow), but it is a lot cheaper than my Dumptruck, Dozer and Bobcats and tractors I keep laying around.

I was actually looking for the great Internet Video of the guy with the old chevy station wagon and 'home-made' rear plow !!! that guy can move some SERIOUS snow!

Probably most C-D posters don't own a snow removal business, and not that many have their own bulldozers / loaders for snow removal. I have never considered getting a snow-blower, but my neighbor has an Oshkosh with a 10' x 6' snow blower, so I just use his (We 'back-it into the garage too!).
Oshkosh H-series High-Speed Snow Blower - Feature - Car and Driver

Maybe the OP lives in FL

Old 01-29-2014, 03:11 PM

25,578 posts, read 17,293,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
I always pull through or back into parking spaces in the library, PO, mall or in village parking lots . Once I received a ticket for doing this as the rule was : face in. I wrote a letter to the Mayor telling him that AARP recommends this way of parking and I never heard anything again .

Is there any reason that I can not think of why pulling through and parking face out would be unlawful ? Is it dangerous somehow ?
Nah. Phone company drivers are taught to do it that way. If you can't pull through, then back in.

Maybe the cop thought you were cute and just wanted to check you out.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive