Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ?
Adjust speed 54 63.53%
Stay at current speed 31 36.47%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2013, 04:03 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,519,702 times

Advertisements

Pretend traffic is too heavy to switch lanes.

Adjust speed or just stay at your current speed?

I personally avoid adjusting my speed because i used to get into many situations where i would speed up so he can filter behind me but at the same time he is trying to speed up to filter in front of me which creates an awkward situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2013, 04:20 PM

2,754 posts, read 7,429,696 times
Drive the same speed.

It is the responsibility of the car merging to merge his speed with the rest of traffic.

Old 12-08-2013, 04:27 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,172,197 times
Adjust speed if I can do so safely. Really I try to stay at my current speed for the most part.

There are several onramps in my county that are way too short for most vehicles to get to freeway speed. I tend to move into the middle lane to give these folks room.

Old 12-08-2013, 04:32 PM

4,749 posts, read 4,326,646 times
I stay at the speed that I'm at.

When people speed up, they need to do it quickly or else it's like they're playing the "I'm not going to let you in" game which is annoying. You think you're doing people a favor, but it doesn't work if you accelerate and you end up next to them.

Old 12-08-2013, 04:33 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,434,410 times
Maintain speed, as that's the safest thing to do. Also, as Narfalicious said, it is the responsibility of the car entering to adjust their speed to that of the vehicles on the freeway.

This is in the scenario described, where it is not possible to move to the next lane, which would be my preferred move. Actually, if there are three lanes, my preferred move is to be in the middle lane, so that anyone entering can have that lane and enter safely (and I'm generally driving faster than traffic in the right lane in any case) and anyone wanting to play racetrack can use the far left lane, and no one has to consider me when figuring out what they are supposed to do.

Old 12-08-2013, 04:34 PM

45,459 posts, read 60,680,465 times
It's going to depend. If it's a combined entrance/exit ramp which I'm going to exit onto I might speed up to get ahead of the merging car, especially if it's traveling significantly slower than I am. Or, I might slow down a bit to let him out. Or I might maintain speed because that's the safest course.

Old 12-08-2013, 04:41 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,402,740 times
It depends if your a courteous driver you adjust your speed, if it's an 18 wheeler you move over if you can and let him merge.
If you are a self centered driver like a lot of people you pretend you don't see them and when they almost side swipe you you get mad and flip them the bird.

Old 12-08-2013, 04:45 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,379,242 times
It is fine to say that it's the responsibility of the merging driver to adjust, but a large pct. of merging drivers are not aware of such a rule. Therefore I think the person in the right lane needs to be prepared to adjust speed if necessary to avoid a collision.

Old 12-08-2013, 04:45 PM

2,573 posts, read 3,506,354 times
It really depends - Usually I see what merging vehicle can do. Sometimes you need to adjust speed as it is difficult for merging vehicle (e.g. very short merging ramp and so on) . Sometimes I speed up a bit if it can be done safely. At times I will stay at speed. I know it is the responsibility of merging vehicle - but there is nothing wrong if you can make it easier for that driver.

Old 12-08-2013, 04:46 PM

2,341 posts, read 12,054,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Pretend traffic is too heavy to switch lanes.

Adjust speed or just stay at your current speed?

I personally avoid adjusting my speed because i used to get into many situations where i would speed up so he can filter behind me but at the same time he is trying to speed up to filter in front of me which creates an awkward situation.
If it looks like they're speeding up to try to merge ahead of me, I'll slow down a bit. Or if they're not accelerating, I'll try to get ahead of them. It's kind of a guessing game, so I much prefer to change lanes if I can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive