Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2014, 03:44 PM

12,966 posts, read 9,645,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophie10 View Post
I have had people flash their lights at me if I pass them. I use my signal but if youre doing 40 in a 60, I will pass you. Ive noticed its mostly people in vans who driver slower than anyone else on the road (no offense to someone who may drive a fan, just an observation i made lol)
People who flash their headlights are signaling you that its clear to get back over, or either saying nice ride man. At least that's how it use to down this way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2014, 06:18 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,370,711 times
Very odd behavior. I am the opposite. I want people to pass me when they come up behind me and get more annoyed when they don't.

Old 02-02-2014, 06:31 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,828,251 times
It has always been weird that people who are normally sane and nice suddenly turn into crazed idiots when they surround themselves in a steel shell. I think it is the fact they are anonymous inside there and don't have to face the other guy.

Don

Old 02-02-2014, 08:23 PM

3,963 posts, read 5,693,023 times
People try to speed up but they fail. It happened to me the other day by a guy in a Corvette. He was putting along in the left lane. He tried to speed up but I still got around him and left him when he started to try to catch up.

Old 02-02-2014, 08:51 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
This wasn't the 1st time, happened a couple of times. One time there's SUV doing 47mph in front of me and I couldn't pass him because there was all these cars on the left lane. Once I got an open left lane, I got around him and then my exit was coming up so I got in front of him doing about 60mph. Then out of nowhere the slow dude decides to hit the gas and got around in front of me and try to brake check me. Luckily the exit came up and I pulled out.

I had no intention of playing with him but some people just don't get it. He has a right to drive 47mph on a 55mph highway but he has no right getting in front of me and try to brake check me that's how people can get killed.

Old 02-02-2014, 10:15 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,141,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Noticed a couple of time, a slow driver is in front of me. I got around and pulled ahead and sped away and the person honks at me.

Why would they do that? It's not like I cut the person off. I have every right to get around and away from a slow driver.
I drive a high-performance sports car for giggles (996 Turbo), when I can, that being mostly weekends. Sometimes too on Fridays, mean streets of Redmond WA (not).

I'm introspective enough to know that sports cars are a bit of an irritant to others by their very nature. I also ride (or rode), and formerly semi-professionally raced (in closed-course competition), sport motorcycles. Mostly gave the latter up for more middle-of-the-road kinds of motorcycles, four years ago, but motorcycles are also a bit "fringe" in most of the U.S. to many drivers. I personally think most riders have a bit of inner Outlaw Biker (bad pun) they're trying to channel, so can't say as I entirely disagree with other motorist's sentiments.

Out on the back roads, and I mean way-back (two laners with low traffic volumes, far from towns, of which there are many in WA State and the West in-general), I'll pass *in passing zones* other cars via bike or said-sports car. Sometimes, couple cars at a time (allegedly) which may be bending the rules and speed limits just a bit(1).

And sometimes they'll try and slam the door on me, and on (very) rare occasion I'll get the Italian salute or horn blast on the way by. Usually by twahts in little JPN cars with loud pipes or rednecks in giant diesel pickup trucks. Fine, whatever: I'm long gone by that point anyway, being wise enough to be way on-the-boil by the time I'm performing any such maneuver.

I think it's an American entitlement issue thing, personally: how dare you pass my big old diesel pickup (or whatnot). In contrast, when I see a bike or sports car climbing up my tailpipe on a similar backroad, I lean out and given a twirl with my finger (c'mon by), then a horns/rock-on as they go by: power to yah, bro, if you've got somewhere to be and I'm slowing you down. Been-there/done-that/I get it. Just this morning, guy in a BMW 330i sedan gave me the what-for on a two laner, and I wished him well as he breezed by at at least 90mph and still accelerating. Clearly he had somewhere to be that didn't involve me? This offended me...how exactly?

Something's lost in translation for me, too, it would seem. Just ridin' my ride, driving my car, removing obstacles from the path and not being a dyck about it...that last part is key, IMO.

(1) the previous is entirely fictional, and posted for entertainment purposes only.

Old 02-02-2014, 10:27 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,141,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
This is one of the reasons why I drive cars with tons of horsepower. If I want to get around someone, there's generally nothing they can do about it, even if they do try and speed up/block me. If I'm content staying behind them, I don't have to use it.
Amen to that, brother.

I phrase it thus: "Always bring a gun to a knife-fight!" . Or, "be a ghost": there and gone before they really know what, if-anything, they saw.

This has kept me mostly out of trouble past several decades. "Waiting around" for others to express their control issues with me never seemed terribly profitable.

Old 02-02-2014, 10:37 PM

810 posts, read 1,448,997 times
I've heard from numerous people that once they start packing, little insults like this don't bother them one bit. There's something about knowing that you can vaporize the other guy at will, that puts all of those petty little bastards into perspective.

Last edited by Sonorio; 02-02-2014 at 10:38 PM.. Reason: fix typo

Old 02-02-2014, 11:26 PM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times
I have no problem with people passing me....even when I am at or very near the speed limit.

But.........BUT, I do have a problem with someone who passes me by going a few miles faster than me, then, they pull in front of me when they are about 1 car length "past" me...........and they continue to drive about 2mph faster than me. This makes me slow down to regain a safe following distance. You wanna pass someone, do it right......gain enough speed and distance to pass quickly and properly. If you are passing just to sit in front of the car you "passed"....why bother???? The lame-passers remind me of the idiots who floor the gas when they are 1/2 a block away from a red right and backed-up traffic.

Old 02-02-2014, 11:39 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,487,842 times
I have a problem when people pass me when I am doing the speed limit, then pull in front of me to take the next exit. I will honk at greedy piggy people like that. I had the pastor of the neighboring church do just that, pass me doing 75 in a 55 zone, then take the same exit as myself and just to be in front of me for the next two blocks. It is no different then cutting in front of others that are already in line. Is it really neccessary to be first and cut others off? Or a person that passes when it says lane ends, do not pass and they go around and speed up to pass on the right side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive