Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 11:28 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,572,795 times

Advertisements

A Shelby Mustang or a Corvette? Both around $50,000.

Which one would you buy and why?

Since I live in Floody City, Texas, every time it rains, I'd be scared to take the Vette out. A part of road on my way to work always floods whenever it rains. I highly doubt the Vette would survive. Another gripe I have is how low the Vette sits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2012, 11:39 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,842,681 times
Hmm. You upped your budget from a 3-series Panzerkampfwagon and Mustang 5.0?

Came into money recently? Married well?

Well to answer the question: Corvette. Better engine and overall better car because it was designed to be at a higher level of performance than the Mustang. Sports vs. Pony.
Shelby is a modified Mustang with a glorified 5.4L truck motor (longer stroke than bore for torque) and a blower. You would be better off with a 5.0 and then adding a blower. No data on the 5.8L.

Last edited by Felix C; 04-09-2012 at 12:45 PM..

Old 04-09-2012, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post

Haha, not really. Just daydreaming.

Old 04-09-2012, 12:29 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,854,052 times
i would personally go with the shelby.

Old 04-09-2012, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
i would personally go with the shelby.
Why? :-)

Old 04-09-2012, 12:52 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,702,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post

Well to answer the question: Corvette. Better engine and overall better car because it was designed to be at a higher level of performance than the Mustang. Sports vs. Pony.
Shelby is a modified Mustang with a glorified 5.4L truck motor (longer stroke than bore for torque) and a blower. You would be better off with a 5.0 and then adding a blower. No data on the 5.8L.
I agree with your assessment, I could've purchased a Shelby GT500 or Camaro SS before I purchased my 'Vette but neither offers the level of performance that a Corvette does.

Even with 540 hp, the GT500 can't match the base Corvette LS3 with 430 hp in terms of straight line performance, handling capabilities, or overall bang for the buck. The base Corvette is probably the best all-around bargain in terms of what you're getting for $50k.

I think Shelby did do-away with the 5.4L in favor of a new 5.8L motor which handles modifications much better. The old 5.4L made 540 hp I believe but the new 5.8L is making an unGodly 650 hp!

Old 04-09-2012, 12:55 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,441,267 times
if i wanted a fast car i should not have sold my bmw 2003 540i (170 mph).
but i did. it only went 2 places, to a gas station or leaving one.
of the 2 you mentioned the vette would be a pick, but really but i dont like either.
best muscle car i know is transam or firebird. biggest bang for the buck.

Old 04-09-2012, 01:03 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,353,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Since I live in Floody City, Texas, every time it rains, I'd be scared to take the Vette out.
Take them out in the rain? Why would anyone do that? My Porsche hasn't seen the rain in years. My bosses Ferrari has never seen the rain. Certain cars in my mind are above the weather and have no need to be out in poor weather. If you have to drive in the rain do what I did and buy a Hyundai.

I would go with the Vette only because it has more prestige than the Mustang. Not saying that the Mustang is a bad car but it is still a mustang, meaning that it is the every persons car. Nothing so special about it, even when you stick the another name on it it is still a Mustang. The Corvette is not an every person kind of car. You don't bring the kids and their friends for a ride in a Corvette. Your dog doesn't get a ride. You don't go for fast food in a corvette. (You could, but I wouldn't want to spill anything in there.) A corvette is that differant and is in a differant world than the Mustang. Comparing a Mustang with a Corvette is almost like comparing a Mustang with a BMW. They are just differant cars.

Old 04-09-2012, 01:06 PM

Performance is one thing. I guess I am more concerned about quality.

Old 04-09-2012, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Take them out in the rain? Why would anyone do that? My Porsche hasn't seen the rain in years. My bosses Ferrari has never seen the rain. Certain cars in my mind are above the weather and have no need to be out in poor weather. If you have to drive in the rain do what I did and buy a Hyundai.

I would go with the Vette only because it has more prestige than the Mustang. Not saying that the Mustang is a bad car but it is still a mustang, meaning that it is the every persons car. Nothing so special about it, even when you stick the another name on it it is still a Mustang. The Corvette is not an every person kind of car. You don't bring the kids and their friends for a ride in a Corvette. Your dog doesn't get a ride. You don't go for fast food in a corvette. (You could, but I wouldn't want to spill anything in there.) A corvette is that differant and is in a differant world than the Mustang. Comparing a Mustang with a Corvette is almost like comparing a Mustang with a BMW. They are just differant cars.

I guess any car I buy, I'd like it to be my daily drive. What's the point of having a car if I don't drive it? So, yes, would be out in the rain a lot. :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive