Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 07:49 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,984,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
How is mentioning race, racist? I know what he meant by urban he just didn't say it. Why does he need someone to "explain" to him why someone else does something with their property?
No, you jumped to the conclusion he was speaking of one race only when in fact he was just wondering about the origin of this stupid fad. It was you that mentioned race, not the OP.

OP, here is a brief article on the fad. One person stated it was like jewelry for your car.
Your Guide To The World
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2014, 07:55 PM

12,966 posts, read 9,648,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d from birmingham View Post
It's by trash. Whether white, black or brownish it's by people best described as being trash and glorifying that they are trash and they aspire to be nothing but trash.
Wow, unbelievable.

Old 02-17-2014, 08:31 PM

947 posts, read 1,463,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd00 View Post
No, you jumped to the conclusion he was speaking of one race only when in fact he was just wondering about the origin of this stupid fad. It was you that mentioned race, not the OP.

OP, here is a brief article on the fad. One person stated it was like jewelry for your car.
Your Guide To The World
If by jewelry you mean trying to pass off fake gold as real gold and stainless steel as silver then yeah it's like jewelry for your car. 100k worth of mods to donk don't make it worth 100k it only makes it worth 3k tops.

Old 02-17-2014, 08:57 PM

4,237 posts, read 24,774,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Why dance around it? Just say, "I hate those black guys that put big rims on their cars. So I came here to safely complain about it on the net instead of walking up to one of them and talking to them about it."
Sounds like YOU'RE the racist here. No one said **** about black guys UNTIL YOU POSTED!

Old 02-18-2014, 05:51 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,285,380 times
Quote:
100k worth of mods to donk don't make it worth 100k it only makes it worth 3k tops.
You apparently don't understand how hot rodding/lowriders/custom cars work. The ones I posted are certainly worth that much to the right buyer, just like a top built street rod is worth that much to the right buyer. When Donks like the original ones built in Miami are built to a high standard with $100k+ in mods (wheels, suspension, engine, interior, paint) then they are indeed worth it to the right buyer.

Old 02-18-2014, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
The new Mustang comes with 19's I believe, and the Challenger and Camaro come with 20's. I still think that is too large to be practical in a sports car, as they lose a lot of their handling capabilities at those sizes.
Except that the Camaro and Mustang have proven theri handling capabilities on the track with wheels of that size, clearing huge brakes.

Quote:
17-19 is about average, and 19 is pushing it. World class sports cars generally will not go bigger than 18.
I posted pictures of "world class sports cars" with wheels bigger than that (the Porsche 935). Generally, they are limited by the rules as to what size wheels they can have, so as not to gain an advantage by allowing bigger brakes.

Quote:
Drag cars will have larger wheels for larger brakes, yes. However, they won't be using 24's or anything larger. Also, drag cars don't turn...they just go in a straight line.
I have yet to talk about drag cars or posted pictures of drag cars.

Old 02-18-2014, 08:15 AM

947 posts, read 1,463,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
You apparently don't understand how hot rodding/lowriders/custom cars work. The ones I posted are certainly worth that much to the right buyer, just like a top built street rod is worth that much to the right buyer. When Donks like the original ones built in Miami are built to a high standard with $100k+ in mods (wheels, suspension, engine, interior, paint) then they are indeed worth it to the right buyer.
LOL! Then explain why those cars that you know with the hydraulics that bounce and move all over the place whose owners put 75k k in the car can only get 2-3k for the car.

This is what donks due to the value of other cars. The donk tires fly off and destroy other cars that are actually valuable.
Donk Daytons take out uber-clean M3, we weep silently - Autoblog

Old 02-18-2014, 08:50 AM

Quote:
LOL! Then explain why those cars that you know with the hydraulics that bounce and move all over the place whose owners put 75k k in the car can only get 2-3k for the car.
I've spent time at auctions for hot rods and customs. Cars that are buiklt to a high standard are worth it to the right buer. You may have seen cars buil tto LOW standards, and not the top versions. Cars like this one will in fact bring in VASTLY more than $2-3k:

beat up hopper lowriders, like this, migh only bring in $5-10k:

Quote:
This is what donks due to the value of other cars. The donk tires fly off and destroy other cars that are actually valuable.
Donk Daytons take out uber-clean M3, we weep silently - Autoblog
[/qupte]

One example, and it is anecdotal and not representative of what ALL of them are like any more than one Porsche crashing is representative of what will happen to all of them. It doesn't say in the article what the other vehicle was, how well it was built, etc. I've seen high performance racing wheels fall off well built road race cars when the racing lug nuts had too much side loading and sheared off. It can happen.

Old 02-18-2014, 09:50 AM

5,075 posts, read 11,070,149 times
You'll be glad to know the ever timely Wall Street Journal covered this topic 12 years ago:

Films, Rap Stars Inspire Kids, SUV Buyers To Put Big Chrome Wheels on Their Rides - WSJ.com

Old 07-27-2015, 04:19 AM

1,809 posts, read 5,419,513 times
Any vehicles with large rims are crap. Drive that down here in New Orleans where most of the streets and bumps like mountains and our suspensions and tie rods will be done.

You'll be a dummy and see why trucks(pickup trucks and suvs) have big tires lifted up.

Yes, with those big rims you do get attention, negative attention at most.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive