Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 02:34 PM

1,344 posts, read 3,405,577 times

Advertisements

1999 Audi A6 Quattro. It's old and has plenty of miles but will go through most anything.

Google image
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2014, 02:47 PM

5,681 posts, read 5,159,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
For a second vehicle it is very hard to beat a PU Truck with 4-wheel drive..

I find the Mid-00's Ford Rangers 4x4 actually sell for as much or more then a similar equipped model 4.2 liter V6 or 4.6 SOHC V-8 F150 4x4 or 4.3 V-6 and the 4.8/5.3 V-8 Vortecs on the Chevy Silverado 1500 4x4.

It is almost a better bang for the buck to go for the early to mid 00's Full size Trucks then the Ranger or Tacoma.

Heck one of the best winter beater is finding a Second Gen Ford Explorer or Ford Expedition depending on your needs and family size. Compares to the Suburban/Yukon GM family the first gen Expedition is selling for 1/3 less
I don't need anything this big and thirsty. That's why a Ranger would be perfect (as well as for occasional actual pickup duty when it's warm), but you're absolutely right - they are very difficult to find in any kind of decent condition for less than top dollar.

Old 02-20-2014, 03:01 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,319,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post
I don't need anything this big and thirsty. That's why a Ranger would be perfect (as well as for occasional actual pickup duty when it's warm), but you're absolutely right - they are very difficult to find in any kind of decent condition for less than top dollar.
I hear ya... late model Ford Rangers have held their Re-sale value very well that they almost compete with the Toyota tacoma in resale value in the used late model Compact PU truck market.

One way to broaden the search is to add the Mazda B3000/B4000 to the mix when looking for used late model Ranger.

I find they are a little harder to come across but tend to sell for a bit less the a similar equipped Ford Ranger but they are both based off the same platform and are the exact same truck mechanical wise underneath.

Last edited by GTOlover; 02-20-2014 at 03:09 PM..

Old 02-20-2014, 03:01 PM
C8N C8N started this thread

1,119 posts, read 3,227,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
I'll bend your challenge a bit. I don't have one, my P-car w/AWD is good in the snow
I am in a similar predicament. Our primary car is a 2012 AWD and it would make no sense to drive a fwd or rwd in the snow and keep an awd model in the garage so I am kinda of forced to buy either a awd or 4x4.

However, since I commute to work via mass transit, I didn't think we needed a second car and its not absolutely necessary. But it would be nice to have one as when I have my days off, I am pretty much stuck at home since my wife will need to use the car to pick the kid up from school and such. So I think this beater will serve more than 1 purposes.

Ideally I would like to get a 10 or so yr old Grand Cherokee or an Outback as I definitely can use a car with cargo room as our current car is a mid size sedan.

The problem I am having is... do I really want to spend upwards up to $10k on a supposedly a beater? I am not poor by any means but no way am I rich. I would love to just spend somewhere around $2-3k but an awd or 4x4 used car in that price range with under 150k miles seems hard to find. I also don't mind working on my cars as long as it can be done with basic hand tools. Would like to have this beater for a minimum of 4-5yrs. Perhaps my expectations are too high.

Old 02-20-2014, 06:01 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,148,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C8N View Post
The problem I am having is... do I really want to spend upwards up to $10k on a supposedly a beater? I am not poor by any means but no way am I rich. I would love to just spend somewhere around $2-3k but an awd or 4x4 used car in that price range with under 150k miles seems hard to find. I also don't mind working on my cars as long as it can be done with basic hand tools. Would like to have this beater for a minimum of 4-5yrs. Perhaps my expectations are too high.
Yeah, where I live it just doesn't snow that often. P-car Turbo is a weird thing to take in the snow, but those 911s actually take to it like...uh...a German to cold weather? I may put snows on it one of these days and head to the mountains, though that requires a second set of wheels, too ($$).

There are clunker Subarus in the PacNW whipped unto the point where they barely run for a couple grand. Very popular with ski bums and soccer moms. I don't trust them beyond about 150K miles, from experiences of my buddies (Subaru sells a ton of everything in this area, allegedly), which brings full circle to the "is this a good way to spend ten grand" argument. Even whipped old CJ-whatever Jeeps get good money in this area, despite that most require a real sense of humor to drive in any conditions for any distance.

For me, nah not really. For you, it's a payout-rewards calculation, no more or less. Risk, expected value, back of envelope, whatever makes sense.

Old 02-20-2014, 06:20 PM

6,556 posts, read 7,136,101 times
Quote:
I am in a similar predicament. Our primary car is a 2012 AWD and it would make no sense to drive a fwd or rwd in the snow and keep an awd model in the garage so I am kinda of forced to buy either a awd or 4x4.

However, since I commute to work via mass transit, I didn't think we needed a second car and its not absolutely necessary. But it would be nice to have one as when I have my days off, I am pretty much stuck at home since my wife will need to use the car to pick the kid up from school and such. So I think this beater will serve more than 1 purposes.

Ideally I would like to get a 10 or so yr old Grand Cherokee or an Outback as I definitely can use a car with cargo room as our current car is a mid size sedan.

Where do you live?

Cars for Sale: 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4 Limited in Seattle, WA 98133: Sport Utility Details - 364251125 - AutoTrader.com

I have this same jeep as my beater and has 218k on it

Cars for Sale: 2000 Ford Explorer XLT in Pekin, IL 61554: Sport Utility Details - 362930586 - AutoTrader.com

Old 02-20-2014, 10:38 PM

1,151 posts, read 2,037,712 times
Quote:
Post your winter beater and if you don't have one, how much would you spend on one?

I am trying to get some ideas for myself in preparation for the next snow season and I thought it would be fun to see what others had or have on their minds.
My 2001 Honda Civic is my all-year-long beater. It becomes my winter beater when I put the studded snow tires on it; it'll plow through bumper deep snow with those on it.

My two must-haves for a winter beater: four studded snow tires and a manual transmission. As long as I have those two requirements, I wouldn't mind even a two wheel drive pickup truck in the snow.

Old 02-21-2014, 07:08 AM

810 posts, read 1,449,792 times
Bad ideas:

A RWD Ranger: Have you ever actually had to drive a pickup in a snowy area? With RWD and the bubble rear end?

A Subaru: Mine is in the shop right now. The frame rusted and broke. Definitely not a snow/salt car.

Old 02-21-2014, 07:35 AM

865 posts, read 2,161,753 times
I have been considering picking up a cheap Focus for a winter beater.

I have a lifted Jeep (with studded snow tires) in addition to my current Focus (with studded snow tire) but I don't want either to rust out.

The Focus is pretty unstoppable. If I could find a decent one I would buy it.

Old 02-21-2014, 07:38 AM

3,135 posts, read 11,893,349 times
The D is a tank in the white stuff.

Too many nice AWD cars out these days to have dedicated winter beaters. I'll be getting a '13 Lincoln MKS or a '13 SHO for my next daily beater.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive