Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 07:19 PM

11,345 posts, read 16,702,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredB1979 View Post
No. Why? I skip on out to the lots on Sundays when they are closed to get an idea of what is there. The truck I bought last summer had just shown up on the lot when I test drove it, too.
The best time to look is when the dealer is closed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2014, 06:40 PM

13,714 posts, read 12,427,493 times
In the modern technological world that we live in, there is no reason to put up with that. I say that as a former car salesman. Truly, you should look at, and participate in online reviews. Yelp, DealerRater, etc. should give you an idea of who you are dealing with. In just about any market, there are good stores and bad ones. It becomes hard when you're looking for one specific vehicle that doesn't have many comparable options. That said, if you call about a car on Friday and come in to look at it Saturday afternoon, you have to understand that without a deposit, they won't hold anything for you, and it might very well be sold.

Old 03-04-2014, 07:53 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,594,911 times
Bait and switch.....been around as long as there has been salespeople.

Old 03-04-2014, 07:53 PM

317 posts, read 747,617 times
I knew the last new car I bought in 2009 because I rented one a couple of times and drove it 600 miles. I searched online and never went to a dealer until I picked it up.

I called a few dealerships to locate a coupe and I was directed to the next state over that had two with the options I wanted.

I will say that I'll never fill out an online credit app again! One dealer said fill it out and you can finance through Ford and save $500 which I did even though I was paying cash once the loan had an account number attached to it.

Long story short I had a bad feeling and decided to look at my credit through that free annual site about a week or two after filling out the application..sure enough there on the credit report is an address in a town next to the dealership that said I was living there, I had never been to this town. I put a stop on any credit under my name until this was taken care of. They were establishing an address under my social when I decided to check on it because of a bad feeling I had and my hunch was right.

Old 03-05-2014, 07:39 AM

4,794 posts, read 12,375,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsRick24 View Post
That's what I think I'm gonna start doing. Go to the car lots after hours (or Sunday). If I see something I'm interested in, I'll write the stock # and VIN. That way no overzealous sales ppl hounding me.
That is what I do when car searching. I look up the inventory on the dealership website and if I see the car I want, I go to the dealership after hours,( I find Sunday mornings to be the best time) and see if I can physically locate the car on the lot. I did that for my last car and went in the next day , the car was still there, and bought the car.

Old 03-05-2014, 11:54 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,570 posts, read 81,167,557 times
When you find an honest dealer, stick with them. I found that Chrysler-Jeep is the worst. We found a Ford dealer that despite being 40 miles away was honest and provided great customer service when I bought my 2007 Ranger, so we recently went back and had the same great experience on a 2014 Escape.

If you do get the bait and switch, it's hard to prove anything that will get them in trouble. Best thing is to walk away, telling them why, and then post it on various dealership review sites including Yelp.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive