Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2014, 08:09 PM

25,560 posts, read 17,267,108 times

Advertisements

I've got a 90 GMC 4X4. Everything works. 5.7 Liter, automatic.
I am thinking of towing it behind the RV.

So. If I tow it on a tow dolly, I will need to disconnect the drive shaft. That'll protect that automatic transmission.
Connecting up the drive shaft is no big deal. 2 minutes and done.

But what if it's raining or something? Question is, if I put it in four wheel drive would I be able to drive it for a while as a front wheel drive vehicle?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2014, 08:16 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,422,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
I've got a 90 GMC 4X4. Everything works. 5.7 Liter, automatic.
I am thinking of towing it behind the RV.

So. If I tow it on a tow dolly, I will need to disconnect the drive shaft. That'll protect that automatic transmission.
Connecting up the drive shaft is no big deal. 2 minutes and done.

But what if it's raining or something? Question is, if I put it in four wheel drive would I be able to drive it for a while as a front wheel drive vehicle?

If it's anything like a Jeep you can drive it in front wheel. If you're going to do that.....take the rear drive shaft OUT. lol

Are those things set up to be flat towed? That would be better. All 4 wheels on the ground, and you don't have to worry about that stupid dolly. With Jeeps, you put the tranfercase into neutral, and the manual tranny into 1st or 5th (to keep the tranfercase lubed). I can't remember what it is for autos. Probably drive.

Old 03-09-2014, 08:30 PM

4,856 posts, read 5,819,186 times
That truck probably has a push button tcase, which means it has no nuetral. It SHOULD be towed on a trailer, but a dolly and the rear shaft removed will suffice.

Even though it could possibly be driven without the rear d-shaft, I wouldnt do it.

If he just towed it with a tow bar both d-shafts would need to be pulled. An automatic can be ruined with it in motion and the vehicle not turned on- especially a ecu controled unit.

Old 03-09-2014, 08:48 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,513,828 times
1990 gmc? IFS or solid front axles not that it matters. You can't drive it with rear shaft disconnected because it has a slip yoke and the trans fluid will drain out. If you have a floor shifter you should be able to put the Tcase in neutral.

Old 03-09-2014, 08:59 PM

4,856 posts, read 5,819,186 times
post 87 have ifs and thank you I forgot about the slip yoke. It should have a push button tcase. 88-98 was the next body style after 73-87(90 for suburban), which were the last for solid front axles.minus the kodiac and top kick.

Old 03-09-2014, 09:03 PM

4,625 posts, read 12,289,811 times
You cannot flat tow with an NP205 t-case, unlike the NP208 that runs the pump off the rear shaft. What flavor do you have? As long as it's not in 4wd the front hubs are not engaged, so no problem there. If you have a 205 you could disconnect the driveshaft, wrap up the u-joint with electrical tape, and tie it up leaving the yoke in place.

my old ass rig (Dana 18) I just pop the t-case into neutral, and leave the trans in park, and has been towed 1000's of miles. But hey, what do I know, I'm just an ole dumbass who drives American.

Old 03-09-2014, 10:07 PM

224 posts, read 456,347 times
'90 doesn't have a 205, those disappeared in the '80's. It also doesn't have push button 4x, still a lever on the floor.

I don't know how the oiling on that truck works, but I wouldn't bother pulling any D-shafts. Research flat towing a k1500, you should find an answer out there somewhere.

Quick search didn't provide me anything confirming that flat towing is recommended. Does the owners manual mention it?

Old 03-09-2014, 10:27 PM

He can flat tow with a np 241, but he should determine what it is.

Old 03-09-2014, 10:30 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,513,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
You cannot flat tow with an NP205 t-case, unlike the NP208 that runs the pump off the rear shaft. What flavor do you have? As long as it's not in 4wd the front hubs are not engaged, so no problem there. If you have a 205 you could disconnect the driveshaft, wrap up the u-joint with electrical tape, and tie it up leaving the yoke in place.

my old ass rig (Dana 18) I just pop the t-case into neutral, and leave the trans in park, and has been towed 1000's of miles. But hey, what do I know, I'm just an ole dumbass who drives American.
Some older trucks you're right all you had to do us put t case in neutral. I don't think the new ( back then) transmissions liked it. I had a dually towed with rear wheels down and it burned up a turbo 400 trans.

I had a 89 gmc 1500 4x and the shifter was on the floor. I don't remember button shift on those years at all. I would pull the driveshafts at the axle end and tie them up. I don't think flat towing was recommended on the 700R4 with driveshafts connected but I never flat towed.

Old 03-09-2014, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Some older trucks you're right all you had to do us put t case in neutral. I don't think the new ( back then) transmissions liked it. I had a dually towed with rear wheels down and it burned up a turbo 400 trans.

I had a 89 gmc 1500 4x and the shifter was on the floor. I don't remember button shift on those years at all. I would pull the driveshafts at the axle end and tie them up. I don't think flat towing was recommended on the 700R4 with driveshafts connected but I never flat towed.
You'd be surprised how many can be flat towed. I'm positive he can do it with worst case tying up the drive shaft. Modern shift on the fly Jeep np 231, and truck np 241 can be flat towed in neutral. He needs to know what he has, and be damn sure it oils while the driveshaft spins.

Last year I towed a little Chevy car to AZ for my mom. The owners manual had me put it in neutral, and pull some fuses, and bingo. Just look at how many motorhomes have a little rig behind them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive