Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2014, 05:47 PM

3,201 posts, read 4,409,430 times

Advertisements

if the genesis isnt selling good numbers, why would they make these expensive sedans still

when you go to the dealership can you get $25k off the sticker price?

Old 03-14-2014, 05:51 PM

2,480 posts, read 7,138,281 times
Um, yes. It's a Hyundai Genesis Coupe and it's sitting in our garage. And we love it.

Old 03-14-2014, 06:19 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,881,015 times
We have a '13 Sonata and while it's a good car I would not spend over 35k for even the nicer Hyundais. We'd be looking at Lexus at the very least if we're approaching 40. Hell we could have a C250/300 then too. All nicer.

Old 03-14-2014, 06:25 PM

3,681 posts, read 9,057,165 times
I'd get a Bimmer or an Infiniti in that price range.....

Old 03-14-2014, 06:26 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,524,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace_TX View Post
I notice Kia has some cars priced in the $40k+ range and i was just wondering who are the people that buy these cars when you have BMW and others at that same price range

just seems weird that someone would spend that on a Kia...what is the value a year or 2 later?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypersion View Post
Right now no since they are not reliable and resale value is poor.
My wife has a 04 Sorento 4x4 fully loaded. It has been FLAWLESS, I had exactly three issues
One overhead temp sensor went bad gave readings on Celsius only
One crank bolt recall
Both repaired under factory warranty

Repairs from "break down"
One coolant recovery bottle 6 months ago. $45 for the bottle $18 for the factory coolant.
One diode kit for the overhead light ( wouldn't come on when door was open but worked manually) $85 dealer repair

Normal wear items (these I do not count because its a normal maintenance item)
One set of engine accessory belts
One set of tires
One set of front brakes
One fog lamp bulb ( replaced both)
One rear tail lamp bulb (replaced both)
30k service
60k service

This is will be a 10 year old car this year. It looks brand new inside and outside. EVERYTHING works. The car currently blue books at 7500 and in willing to bet I can get more for it. I paid 24000 out the door for it.
It has been perfect in every way possible. It still drives like a new car. There are no rattles and steering and suspension are tight.

Look up the ratio of value loss on luxury cars. You'll cry. I have never been a brand *****. If new Kias and Hyundays are made like my wife's I would get one in a heartbeat. In fact were eyeing either a Genesis sedan maybe a K900 or another Sorento. I don't care about resale value because I keep my vehicles long enough that it's not a factor in my purchases. I'm pretty anal about my vehicles and when I sell I get top dollar for them.

Old 03-14-2014, 07:46 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,903,185 times
My sense is that around 10 years ago, Kia and Hyundai both decided to get out of the inexpensive/lower quality category and go after the "Big Boys" with a vengeance. And they have produced some nice cars since.
Some people WILL pay more just to get "The Name". Others are more interested in the product itself. Both the Sorento and the Sante Fe are nice vehicles.

Old 03-14-2014, 09:11 PM

13,649 posts, read 9,708,585 times
Personally I have a soft-spot for V8 RWD-anything, regardless of the car's national origin or the manufacturer's reputation.

What would concern me is the depreciation. And this is probably comparably severe for the top-shelf Hyundai, the Mercedes E-class and BMW 5-series, to give some examples. I'm too cheap to ever buy a new car, but I would seriously consider a Hyundai/Kia once it's 7-10 years old and has depreciated to below $10,000. I'd make the same statement for the most venerable German marques. One of my cars is an E36 BMW M3, which I bought for about 7% of new-car sticker price.

So to all of the folks bashing the Kias and Hyundais, I offer a hearty thanks! You are exacerbating the rapid depreciation and allowing me to buy a newer car for a lower price.

Old 03-14-2014, 09:49 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,669,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
My wife has a 04 Sorento 4x4 fully loaded. It has been FLAWLESS, I had exactly three issues
One overhead temp sensor went bad gave readings on Celsius only
One crank bolt recall
Both repaired under factory warranty

Repairs from "break down"
One coolant recovery bottle 6 months ago. $45 for the bottle $18 for the factory coolant.
One diode kit for the overhead light ( wouldn't come on when door was open but worked manually) $85 dealer repair

Normal wear items (these I do not count because its a normal maintenance item)
One set of engine accessory belts
One set of tires
One set of front brakes
One fog lamp bulb ( replaced both)
One rear tail lamp bulb (replaced both)
30k service
60k service

This is will be a 10 year old car this year. It looks brand new inside and outside. EVERYTHING works. The car currently blue books at 7500 and in willing to bet I can get more for it. I paid 24000 out the door for it.
It has been perfect in every way possible. It still drives like a new car. There are no rattles and steering and suspension are tight.

Look up the ratio of value loss on luxury cars. You'll cry. I have never been a brand *****. If new Kias and Hyundays are made like my wife's I would get one in a heartbeat. In fact were eyeing either a Genesis sedan maybe a K900 or another Sorento. I don't care about resale value because I keep my vehicles long enough that it's not a factor in my purchases. I'm pretty anal about my vehicles and when I sell I get top dollar for them.
I drove a rental Sorento round trip from Vegas to Houston over the holidays and had a major meltdown when the rental car place didn't have the Frontier I had reserved. Honestly I have some significant back problems and was horrified at the thought of taking a Kia cross country especially thru the mountains. I almost cancelled my trip.

Honestly, didn't think the interior was at all nice (no idea which model Sorento this was) but I was blown away with how good the engine and trans were...it was as smooth as my v8 4Runner! Seriously impressed and happily surprised with it.

Engine never felt short on torque...no frequent downshifting in the mountians and more than enough passing power.
Found the interior layout a bit quirky and HATED the key fob layout other than that not bad at all.

I just thought the interior looked a bit cheap and overly "asian" loved the engine AND it saved me a ton of money on gas!

Old 03-14-2014, 10:07 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,524,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHoVe View Post
I drove a rental Sorento round trip from Vegas to Houston over the holidays and had a major meltdown when the rental car place didn't have the Frontier I had reserved. Honestly I have some significant back problems and was horrified at the thought of taking a Kia cross country especially thru the mountains. I almost cancelled my trip.

Honestly, didn't think the interior was at all nice (no idea which model Sorento this was) but I was blown away with how good the engine and trans were...it was as smooth as my v8 4Runner! Seriously impressed and happily surprised with it.

Engine never felt short on torque...no frequent downshifting in the mountians and more than enough passing power.
Found the interior layout a bit quirky and HATED the key fob layout other than that not bad at all.

I just thought the interior looked a bit cheap and overly "asian" loved the engine AND it saved me a ton of money on gas!

My wife's is the older Lexus RX lookalike. The only thing I don't like about the interior is the parking brake shifter is on the center console. Seats are wide and comfortable. I'm a big dude and I am still surprised how well I fit in it.
I test drove a new model and its bigger and has more power and smoother rides even better than our current one. The other one we looked at possibly getting is a X5 but resale is horrible and loses a lot of value fast. We had a 740 and once out of warranty it was horribly expensive to repair.

Old 03-14-2014, 10:11 PM

3,244 posts, read 6,298,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace_TX View Post
if the genesis isnt selling good numbers, why would they make these expensive sedans still

when you go to the dealership can you get $25k off the sticker price?
My local area Hyundai dealer is currently advertising new 2013 Genesis sedans for $8,397 off the $35,285 MSRP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive