Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 06:09 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,403,183 times

Advertisements

i got a company truck with 280,000 miles, i have had it since mile one. they been talking, when it hits 300k, it be swap out. its not going make 300k, i doubt it makes 281k.

i just put four quarts on oil in it and its still not on the dipstick. its been burning about a quart every 1000 mile since about 95k.

i think the head gasket is on the verge of going.

honor question, now remember they been talking about replacing the truck for six month. the owner said replace it now. its been a good truck, but its really just worn out.

do i say anything or just let it blow?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2014, 06:15 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,263,452 times
If you have to drive it ever day, tell them. It will give them warning, and would give him the chance to replace it before it goes(potential down time while they get a new truck)

Old 03-19-2014, 07:46 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,287,626 times
There's some info missing here. Are you saying that it's just started using this much oil? Like, you checked it las week and it was fine but now today it's down 4+ quarts? And what makes you think the head gasket is going? Hopefully not just the oil consumption, there are a several thing that would b more likely to cause that.

Regardless, I would go ahead and tell them now. I'm guessing that 300K is just a random, arbitrary round number. Since replacement is already on the horizon I'm sure they'd rather replace it now than have it break down on the road where they'll have to deal with a service call and maybe renting a vehicle to get by until they can buy one.

Old 03-19-2014, 09:05 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,419,117 times
The truck is one of the tools that lets you generate revenue for the business. If it is worn out with 200k+ miles, and the owner wants to replace it, then that's a decision that will keep you on your schedule and continuing to generate revenue. It is far better to replace a vehicle that is currently running, even if just barely, than to have to scramble to get a replacement because the vehicle suffered a catastrophic breakdown that will cost more than the vehicle's value to fix. However, owing to time constraints, if the new vehicle has to be ordered, may have to be repaired to keep the business income flowing, even if it makes no sense given the age/mileage of the vehicle.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 03-19-2014, 10:01 PM

my boss has the habit of procradnate,(not in no hurry) we usually swap truck about 150k, there about nine on the yard not being used. he said 300k because its the only model of that make we have, and 300k would be the milestone for any truck we have.

I'm just using too much oil, it doesn't leak bad, no puddle, just valve cover small leak. it has plenty of power, no smoke. tail pipe black but no cloud. I usually check the oil about every three days, and its usually a quart low once a week, but its wendenday and four quarts low.

i think its going come part within next couple days, no knocking so far. i though maybe a valve seal, but now beginning to think head gasket going, water not milky but have been adding water this week twice, it has never overheated , its just wore out, everything on its wore out, its only five years old. average day is 260 miles

Old 03-19-2014, 11:08 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,046,203 times
You're asking what is the honorable thing to do, and you already know. The only question now is what WILL you do..

Old 03-20-2014, 05:16 AM

well i hate to see anything i could save, die. but its not my money, they not going put $1500 in a head gasket, and they not going do anything till they have to.

i can hear boss now, 'well put oil in it'. All they care about is little league, fishing and golf

Old 03-20-2014, 05:49 AM

2,600 posts, read 8,802,172 times
The truck according to you is on its last leg, its a company truck that you depend on, enough said !!!

Old 03-20-2014, 05:52 AM

i think I'm going drive my personal truck today and tell a foremen, ask him do i need to blow it up. at least i won't be stranded before the weekend

Old 03-20-2014, 07:04 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,287,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
i think I'm going drive my personal truck today and tell a foremen, ask him do i need to blow it up. at least i won't be stranded before the weekend
Bad idea due to liability issues. Tell the foreman that you dumped a bunch of oil in the truck so they can make the call. If they say add oil and continue to drive it and it takes a crap on the side of the road it's their problem.

I really can't figure out why you're so hesitant to do this. If you're sentimentally attached to the truck I'm sure that they'd sell it to you cheap once they get the replacement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive