Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2022, 10:04 PM

3,426 posts, read 3,346,235 times

Advertisements

Not sure that this is the right forum, but it is Auto related...

Got pulled over for a traffic violation. Gave the cop my license and registration. So, as standard procedure, he checks everything out. Comes back, telling me that I had an unanswered ticket from "waaaay back" (his words, not mine), I say, "What's 'waaaay back' mean?" He says "1993". 1993???!! In my state (NJ) if you don't answer traffic or parking ticket, your license will be suspended (and a bench warrant could be issued for your arrest!) I've always run my driving abstract every six months or so, and my license has been/is valid. He let me go with only a ticket for the violation for which he stopped me, but sternly told me to "get that ticket squared away!"

So I went to the court out of where this old ticket was filed. Consulted with a traffic lawyer. Figured that by now, the cop who issued that ticket is retired (or dead). Got the ticket dismissed.

Ever happen to you, where an old forgotten ticket (20+ years) came back to haunt you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2022, 05:46 AM

6,463 posts, read 3,157,496 times
I've gotten very few tickets, over my 54 years of driving, but believe me, I've never forgotten ANY of them!!

Old 02-28-2022, 07:05 AM

7,480 posts, read 6,265,780 times
The few I’ve gotten were paid the next day.

Old 02-28-2022, 08:33 AM

9,519 posts, read 4,348,945 times
My brother got a ticket back in 1989 for not having a license plate (he did, it was a temp tag taped in the back window). This happened in a mall parking lot. He was in the mall at the time, and came out as the officer was checking the vehicle's information. My brother showed him the license plate, as well as pointing out that registration violations aren't enforceable on private property. The officer agreed, and said he had to finish the ticket once it had been started, so he gave my brother the ticket and told him to call the police station to get it handled. He did so, and the Sgt. he talked to said they'd "take care of it". Fast forward 20 years later when my state started putting court records online, and we find out my brother had a bench warrant for FTA (failure to appear). He called that state's attorney's office and had the ticket dismissed and the bench warrant nullified. The police can't dismiss the ticket. When the Sgt told him they would handle it, they meant that they would ask for the charges to be dismissed in court. Since my brother never went to court (he had moved and didn't get the notice), it wasn't dismissed and a bench warrant issued.

Old 03-01-2022, 01:40 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,152,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsRick24 View Post
Not sure that this is the right forum, but it is Auto related...

Got pulled over for a traffic violation.

(snip)

Ever happen to you, where an old forgotten ticket (20+ years) came back to haunt you?
Interesting. Back in the '80s one of my college roommates had driver's licenses from Michigan, Indiana, and Illinois. I saw them. He had some way of having them sent to each residence, it wasn't all that complicated. Being a marginal driver, he'd hand out whichever one to the cop he wanted. Typically that which had the least points. That, I also witnessed as passenger at least once.

Good old days. Bad old days?

In California in the 1990s, some cities communicated well at the State level and I had to pay prior to renewing my license RE parking tickets. I blew off a few. Those who didn't, well too bad for them I guess.

Never blew off a moving violation though. These days WA and OR talk. Wouldn't be surprised if lots of states talk to each other as it's just IT enterprise systems after all. I call the lawyer when I'm pulled over, average of about once every five years give-or-take.

Old 03-01-2022, 04:41 PM

9,361 posts, read 14,119,343 times
Back in the 70s I had a violation I didn't know about. I sold a car and the new owner left it parked on a street too long without moving it. Dang. I learned how important it was to file the form that you had "sold your car and were no longer responsible". Back then it was optional and no one had even mentioned it.

Old 03-01-2022, 08:52 PM

3,426 posts, read 3,346,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
Interesting. Back in the '80s one of my college roommates had driver's licenses from Michigan, Indiana, and Illinois. I saw them. He had some way of having them sent to each residence, it wasn't all that complicated. Being a marginal driver, he'd hand out whichever one to the cop he wanted. Typically that which had the least points. That, I also witnessed as passenger at least once.

In California in the 1990s, some cities communicated well at the State level and I had to pay prior to renewing my license RE parking tickets. I blew off a few. Those who didn't, well too bad for them I guess.

Never blew off a moving violation though. These days WA and OR talk. Wouldn't be surprised if lots of states talk to each other as it's just IT enterprise systems after all. I call the lawyer when I'm pulled over, average of about once every five years give-or-take.
WA and OR have reciprocity, as do CA and NV.
I'm in NJ, which has reciprocity with NY, PA, DE and CT. It's my understanding that if you have a basic license (non-CDL), some states may or may not share drivers information if you get a ticket (say, I get a ticket in South Carolina... they may or may not notify NJ), but if you have a CDL, no matter what state you're in, if you get a ticket, your goose is cooked 'cause a CDL is Federal (50 states) and your home state will be notified.

Old 03-03-2022, 09:27 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,612,875 times
Quote:

There are different levels of 'warrants', if you have a warrant for murder or something very serious, that will be a nation wide warrant, but one for failure to appear over a traffic violation...that is probably a 60 mile warrant, (active within a 60 mile range).

I found out about this decades ago, when a friend of mine had a warrant for possessing stolen property, he assumed it was nation wide, (but it was really just a warrant in our particular area)

Old 03-03-2022, 11:37 AM

5,870 posts, read 11,932,472 times
I got a letter in the mail telling me I had an unpaid parking ticket from 20 years ago in a town I did not live in. But I did sell my car to someone who lives in that town. I've had 3 addresses and several cars since. I want to know how the heck they tracked me down! In any case since the person we sold it to was a friend, I paid the fine and we got a good chuckle out of it. It was about $50 as I recall - not enough to fight over.

Old 03-03-2022, 12:51 PM

14,254 posts, read 14,754,235 times
Quote:

In the 70'S AND 80'S , I maintained a MA drivers license (at my parents address) even when holding another state drivers license as back then states did not communicate with each other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive