Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 05:45 PM

2,025 posts, read 4,176,333 times

Advertisements

A lot of folks get nervous about crossing the Mac, doesn't bug me at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2014, 06:24 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
YES!!! Each and every time. Not a fan of bridges.
If you don't like bridges, try ferries instead. I've been on at lest two that sank later. One was the one in Lake Nasser, Egypt, that sank in 1983, with 367 officially recorded as dead, mostly eaten by crocodiles. I was on it 7 years earlier. Also, I sailed many times on the MV William Carson, the Newfoundland ferry that hit an iceberg two years after my last trip on it, but everyone was rescued.

Old 04-03-2014, 06:46 PM

559 posts, read 1,395,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
What a brave girl, Atlantis. Of course you had no choice. I was the passenger going over the Thousand Islands bridge but I still had a panic attack. I trembled and cried. We took the Peace Bridge back into the US too. Only other panic attack I've had was driving up Mt. Washington.
Wow that's interesting that you did Thousand Islands to Canada and Peace Bridge back to the US like I did. When I was a passenger I don't think I realized that it was such a narrow arc, and the vertical suspender towers on the bridge made it look even more intimidating.

When I drove and I got maybe 1/4 of the way up that's when I stopped for a minute or two, and I sat there going "I can't drive over this bridge I can't drive over this bridge I can't drive over this bridge". When I got to Montreal one of the first things I did was go to the CAA office and ask how to get back home on a route that would take me over the Peace Bridge.

Old 04-03-2014, 06:46 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,128,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HedgeYourInvestments View Post
That one is scary when you're driving in a windy rainstorm, that's for sure. Especially because the shoulders are non-existent and visibility is awful during rainstorms. However, that's not the scariest bridge in New Orleans. I think the Huey P. Long bridge is terrifying because of the trains coming across and how much it shakes and rattles.

Oh I absolutely agree!! I completely forgot about the Huey P. Long.

Old 04-03-2014, 07:07 PM

1,767 posts, read 2,398,939 times
I recall thinking a fender being in jeporady driving across several old iron bridges still in existence when I first started driving. The grating was like the inside lanes of the Mac in MI. None bother me now,but DW doesn't drive across the mighty Mac.

Old 04-03-2014, 07:20 PM

360 posts, read 812,058 times
There two bridges which REALLY bother me the most:

The Pulaski Skyway in New Jersey ( Takes Rts 1 & 9 over the Hackensack and Passaic Rivers) - It's a poorly maintained bridge which ding-dongs trying to get the Hudson Tunnel fly across daily.

Google Image Result for http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/22/Pulaski_Skyway_full_view.jpg

And the Sault Saint Marie Bridge - Unnecessarily long and high with "dips" in it. It's like riding on a nauseating roller coaster.

http://www.historicbridges.org/bridg.../#photosvideos

I'm not a bridge fan.

Old 04-03-2014, 07:52 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,325,155 times
When I was 4-5 years old (early 50s) we were stationed in NY. In order to get to the hospital at West Point we had to drive over the Bear Mountain Bridge. It crosses the Hudson River and I thought it was really high. It scared me to death. Just the thought of it still scares me. I know it was my age at the time. No other bridge has ever scared me.

Old 04-03-2014, 08:58 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Years ago, draw bridges and even some fixed bridges just had a steel grid for a roadway, and you could peer out the side windows, and see the river underneath the road. A lot of older bridges are probably still that way. Like this:

http://www.bcbridges.org/Portals/0/Grid_deck_1_1.jpg

You can hear your tires hum when you drive on the grid floor, and you have a subconscious urge to check your pockets to make sure you didn't drop any change through the bridge.

My dad said a lot of bridges in the teens and twenties were just two planks held in place by the bridge structure, and you had to drive across with your tires on the planks.

http://thebridgehunter.areavoices.co...2/095636pv.jpg

Last edited by jtur88; 04-03-2014 at 09:25 PM..

Old 04-03-2014, 09:15 PM

21,882 posts, read 25,146,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
The scariest bridge that I ever drove on was the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel. Only once and hopefully, never ever again.

chesapeake bay bridge tunnel - Google Search
Okay, that'd be a trip!

Old 04-03-2014, 09:30 PM

250 posts, read 563,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JXBC View Post
Pfft, that's nothing. Try the Lake Pontchartrain Causeway:

Almost 24 miles over water.
You beat me on that one. I drove on that Causeway a few times both day and night and it's NO joke!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive