Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 09:22 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,468,589 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Give me a break. No one is "mocking" this guy. He is clearly seriously disturbed - this is not a case of him having "an issue that interferes with driving". Good LORD. And he is looking for a girlfriend?? Right.
You may be right... but you can still be kind. And you could be wrong.

A little compassion goes a long way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2014, 09:47 PM

4,671 posts, read 3,871,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Give me a break. No one is "mocking" this guy. He is clearly seriously disturbed - this is not a case of him having "an issue that interferes with driving". Good LORD. And he is looking for a girlfriend?? Right.
Unbelievable. Nobody with anxiety can have a girlfriend? How about someone with diabetes? Can they have a girlfriend? Can someone who had cancer have a girlfriend? Or are they too "disturbed"? I know people with gad (if that's what he has) who not only have a girlfriend, but are happily married.

Old 04-06-2014, 10:11 PM

746 posts, read 867,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by everwinter View Post
Unbelievable. Nobody with anxiety can have a girlfriend? How about someone with diabetes? Can they have a girlfriend? Can someone who had cancer have a girlfriend? Or are they too "disturbed"? I know people with gad (if that's what he has) who not only have a girlfriend, but are happily married.
Thank you! High five!

Old 04-07-2014, 12:23 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,292,233 times
Southeast Iowa, maybe?

Old 04-07-2014, 12:57 PM

19,448 posts, read 27,884,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Consider it your "shallow meter," as any woman who'd reject you for that alone isn't worth your time anyway. If she really likes you for YOU, she will make that compromise if possible... but eventually you might consider learning to drive, especially if you're planning to raise a family. Having only one driving parent in a household is not only inconvenient, but potentially life-threatening (think: child has an emergency/accident when you're alone with them). So don't rule it out forever, but I think you have some time to get there still!
I'm sure that every person who is visually impaired or not allowed to drive due to some other medical condition will be delighted to know that if they have children, they may be putting those kids in a 'life-threatening' situation.

Old 04-08-2014, 07:53 AM

50,399 posts, read 47,145,000 times
First thing you need to do is get your anxiety, or the reason you have it, under control. Nothing else is going to change that, not a girl, not a car, nothing.

Old 04-08-2014, 08:12 AM

29 posts, read 31,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MynameisnotPeter View Post
If they want to be the boss of guys I don't blame them, they used to be slaves to men.
I can't speak for other women, but I have no desire to be the boss of anybody.

Old 04-08-2014, 09:28 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,645,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MynameisnotPeter View Post
I got the impression that every single women would leave a guy if he couldn't drive. I guess that's kind of silly cause it's extreme to think that every single woman would leave a guy for not driving.
Who on earth have you been talking to? I live in a town with 2 colleges. One is a small, expensive private college. Very few students have cars. Most are from out of state and don't have cars here.

They all seem to do just fine! They walk, take the bus, use taxis, or get rides from friends. The campus is large enough where they don't need to leave every other day for something to do. Even the grocery store is across the street! They walk all over and no one thinks they're freaks or weirdos or anything else. They're college students!

In high school and early college, I dated someone who didn't drive. I didn't drive in high school either. Our families drove us around or friends. We also took buses. We made it work for almost 2 years. The transportation issue is NOT what broke us up. He was sleeping with college girls the summer I graduated from high school (he was a year a older than me). His inability to keep his pants on is what killed the relationship. By then I was driving so that was not an issue. And no I did not mind being the only one who drove. I had several friends and boyfriends in college I drove around. No big deal!

Old 04-08-2014, 09:30 AM

1,201 posts, read 4,048,588 times
Western Colorado, eastern Utah. I have a friend, a guy, 50-ish. He does not have a drivers license and has no interest in driving, ever. He lives right in town and rides his bike or walks to where he needs to go. He's healthy and in good shape. For the past couple of years he has run a very active hike-n-bike outdoor group. They mostly hike, usually big epic hikes, 8-12 miles. There are many places right outside of town to hike like this. For hikes leaving from the edge of town he would ride his bike to the trailhead and lock it up while he hikes. For trailheads further out he would catch a ride with another hiker. He encourages carpooling and helping out with gas money. He now has a girlfriend he met through the group. He usually rides with her to hikes. He has a small apt and seems to live quite frugally, I think he only works p/t as he has few expenses.

Old 04-08-2014, 09:40 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,645,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I'm sure that every person who is visually impaired or not allowed to drive due to some other medical condition will be delighted to know that if they have children, they may be putting those kids in a 'life-threatening' situation.
My husband's father was blind and his mom was physically and mentally disabled and couldn't walk. They managed to have 3 kids. None of them died or had major injuries except for a few from my husband being a crazy boy -- falling out of trees, falling through windows. Ambulance came and took care of him or a family/friend/neighbor took them to the doctor. It was this way until both of his parents died.

Oh and those 3 kids ALL went to college and graduated. They've all had decent jobs and not been a burden on society either. So the DISABLED parents did do something right!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive