Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 01:14 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,891,307 times

Advertisements

I want a brand new 1967 VW Beetle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2014, 01:38 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,167,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by niedo View Post
wrong...

nearly all the test and comparisons of the Fusion, which is where your getting your data from, were AWD versions! i distinctly remember this because Ford haters (not saying you're one) kept bringing up the same argument you are over and over. i checked the data and the AWD Fusion was always used. i found it incredibly difficult to find specs on the FWD only Fusion, particularly with the 2.0 EB engine such as 0-60 etc.

also; the Fusion, as with most of Ford's new 'One Ford' models, are reportedly heavier than their competition:

"Premium materials and solid body structures don’t only tend to add cost. They also tend to add weight. Ford’s Fiesta, Focus, and Escape are each among the heaviest cars in their respective segments. With the most popular powertrain (1.6T auto) checking in at 3,421 pounds, the Fusion similarly outweighs the Accord, Camry, Passat, and Sonata by about 200 and the Altima by about 300. No envelope pushed here."

Review: 2013 Ford Fusion | The Truth About Cars

at least that is the ongoing consensus and has been for years now. IDK where your getting your data from

and, Honda makes strong engines but they are also noisy. the Accord is far louder inside than the Fusion is IMO. and the 2.0 EB in the Fusion, which is incredibly smooth BTW, is not really meant to compete with topline V6s, it only makes 240 HP Ford's upcoming 2.3 EB is more of a V6 fighter; so again compare apples with apples.
I don't mean to be rude, but I think you don't read the same things I do. Consumer Reports tested the Fusion SE and Fusion Platinum FWD models. Car and Driver tested all FWD models in its 2013 test of mid-sized sedans:

2013 Ford Fusion SE EcoBoost vs. 2013 Honda Accord EX, 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SV, 2012 Volkswagen Passat 2.5 SE Comparison Tests - Page 5 - Car and Driver

None of them would intentionally slow the Fusion down by comparing its AWD version against a FWD Camry, Accord, or Altima.

Look at Motor Trend. Same thing.

The Truth about Cars is not a meaningful website for road test data - the owner of the site is on this board and he does a nice job but it is not the same as reviewers with test equipment.

And going by the manufacturer's website, the Fusion is LIGHTER than the Accord. The 1.6L EB weighs 3333 lbs vs. the 4 cyl Accord at 3358. The 2.0L EB weighs 3526 vs. the V6 Accord at 3554 lbs. The Altima is lighter still.

Ford likes to say the 2.0 EB has the power of a V6 and the MPG of a 4. It doesn't. It is much slower than the V6 Accord and thirstier.

As for noise, Honda's historically have suffered from road noise, not engine noise. They are quieter now. But the V6 has always been smooth and has some grunt to it.

I am not a Ford hater. I just think the EB engines are unimpressive. Traditional engines like Honda's, updated with direct injection, produce more power and use less fuel.

Old 04-15-2014, 01:49 PM

358 posts, read 886,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWG223 View Post
I mean, we have . . . , the Pontiac G8 (formerly, now dead),

The G-8 (Holden Commodore) is back. It is called the Chevrolet SS now.

Old 04-15-2014, 02:26 PM

1,617 posts, read 5,673,286 times
Japanese cars are faster? Someone please tell that to all the slowpokes driving Corollas.

Corolla drivers are the worst. Maybe the fact that the 2014 Corolla still has a 4-speed (ha ha ha ha ha ha!), and all the ones you see going REALLY slow--the tired old 90's models with shot suspensions--only have a THREE speed!

Get the F--- out of my way! You might not want to go the speed limit, but I do. (I know, it's scary to go that fast in a Corolla--so get a better car! ****ing Toyotas.)

Old 04-15-2014, 03:39 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,103,416 times
Quote:
you need to rely on apples to apples comparisons!

there is a fuel and acceleration penalty for AWD, which the Fusion has as an option thats not even offered on the Accord

the Fusion is also heavier, which pays off in a better more stable and substantial 'feel'/ride IMO. the Accord is nice, no doubt about it, so is the Fusion; but your claims are largely exaggerated.
Okay, how about comparing the Subaru Legacy to the Ford Fusion AWD?

I believe the Fusion would go home with its tail between its legs when you compare speed, handling, and fuel economy, and price to the Legacy.

Old 05-01-2014, 11:34 PM

600 posts, read 659,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
I don't mean to be rude, but I think you don't read the same things I do. Consumer Reports tested the Fusion SE and Fusion Platinum FWD models. Car and Driver tested all FWD models in its 2013 test of mid-sized sedans:

2013 Ford Fusion SE EcoBoost vs. 2013 Honda Accord EX, 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SV, 2012 Volkswagen Passat 2.5 SE Comparison Tests - Page 5 - Car and Driver

None of them would intentionally slow the Fusion down by comparing its AWD version against a FWD Camry, Accord, or Altima.

Look at Motor Trend. Same thing.

The Truth about Cars is not a meaningful website for road test data - the owner of the site is on this board and he does a nice job but it is not the same as reviewers with test equipment.

And going by the manufacturer's website, the Fusion is LIGHTER than the Accord. The 1.6L EB weighs 3333 lbs vs. the 4 cyl Accord at 3358. The 2.0L EB weighs 3526 vs. the V6 Accord at 3554 lbs. The Altima is lighter still.

Ford likes to say the 2.0 EB has the power of a V6 and the MPG of a 4. It doesn't. It is much slower than the V6 Accord and thirstier.

As for noise, Honda's historically have suffered from road noise, not engine noise. They are quieter now. But the V6 has always been smooth and has some grunt to it.

I am not a Ford hater. I just think the EB engines are unimpressive. Traditional engines like Honda's, updated with direct injection, produce more power and use less fuel.

again, you're simply mistaken!

in the C&D article you link, they say "The Michigan-made Fusion (well, some are built in Mexico) is the heaviest car here by 180 pounds."

and again, i have yet to see a review of the Fusion with the 2.0L EB w/o AWD. you simply stating these tests exists, proves nothing.

and Ford does not advertise the 2.0 EB as having the power of a V6! the 3.5 EB (a direct injected, twin turbo V6) has been touted as having the power of a V8 with the FE of a V6, and as the owner of one i can attest to that being largely true.

seems you are confusing your claims with that of Ford's

Old 05-01-2014, 11:40 PM

600 posts, read 659,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post

I believe the Fusion would go home with its tail between its legs when you compare speed, handling, and fuel economy, and price to the Legacy.

uhm, not really

Midsize Sedan Battle - The AWD Division

all the Subie has is a lower price...

Old 05-02-2014, 07:59 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,167,133 times
Quote:
again, you're simply mistaken!

in the C&D article you link, they say "The Michigan-made Fusion (well, some are built in Mexico) is the heaviest car here by 180 pounds."

and again, i have yet to see a review of the Fusion with the 2.0L EB w/o AWD. you simply stating these tests exists, proves nothing.

and Ford does not advertise the 2.0 EB as having the power of a V6! the 3.5 EB (a direct injected, twin turbo V6) has been touted as having the power of a V8 with the FE of a V6, and as the owner of one i can attest to that being largely true.

seems you are confusing your claims with that of Ford's
The Ford story about the Ecoboost 4s when they first came out included the claim that they could offer V6 power with 4 cylinder economy. Sorry if you don't remember that.

I still think Ford's website has the definitive curb weight figures, regardless of the C&D test. Ford says the 1.6L FWD Fusion weighs 3333.

None of this changes the fact that the 4 cylinder EB engines are slow and thirsty. No one achieves real world fuel economy close to the EPA ratings.

BTW - same story with your 3.5 EB. Ford's 5.0 in the F150 gets the same fuel economy as the 3.5 EB.

Ford's engine designers have work to do.

Old 05-02-2014, 09:08 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,694,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post

Fusion is not a true full-time AWD car, it's passive AWD system. Full-time AWD system typically handles better, power out of corners are quicker and smoother than FWD cars.

American cars in general design their cars for average drivers and made sacrifices in performance for safety and comfort.

Old 05-02-2014, 09:13 AM

7,280 posts, read 10,947,411 times
Car magazines like most enthusiast magazines, are published to sell ads, not facts. It is rare they do not sugar coat every detail about which they write.

The magazines are published as entertainment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive