Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 07:34 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,968,897 times

Advertisements

In their heyday a 1970 Chevelle was fairly cheap, even 5-10 years later you could get one for a decent price. But today, in 2014, Chevelle's are very sought after, very rare, and very expensive cars.

My question is, when does a car begin to appreciate in value? I have a 2001 Camaro Z28, while not the most rare car on the road, it is a Camaro and I would like to think if I keep it in good condition, maybe even do restore on it some day, and hold onto it long enough, it may seriously appreciate in value.

I understand that not all cars are highly sought after, obviously a 2014 Camry probably won't be that valuable even in the year 2050, but who knows. So, what is your opinion on when cars begin to appreciate in value?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2014, 08:30 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,263,569 times
This is like asking when stocks appreciate in value. Cars don't appreciate in value. Some cars appreciate in value and usually when you find out about it it is generally too late. Ask yourself why don't you have a Chevelle now. You may have a hunch that a particular model may become rare or desirable. I thought the Impala SS of the 90s might be in that category but I don't know how it has done. Marauder of the early 00 had the potential but they botched it.

Last edited by HappyRider; 04-19-2014 at 08:38 PM..

Old 04-19-2014, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
This is like asking when stocks appreciate in value. Cars don't appreciate in value. Some cars appreciate in value and usually when you find out about it it is generally too late. Ask yourself why don't you have a Chevelle now. You may have a hunch that a particular model may become rare or desirable. I thought the Impala SS of the 90s might be in that category but I don't know how it has done. Marauder of the early 00 had the potential but they botched it.
No it isn't. I guarantee you that the limited edition cars that they make will be rare, sought after and valuable cars. A 1969 Camaro ZL1 is EXTREMELY rare and EXTREMELY valuable since there were so few made, and especially today since it is such an old car.

It's harder to gauge on some cars because they are more common or just less desirable overall. Like most cars from the 80's, they may be rare, but most are generally not desirable cars, their value has only appreciated a small amount, unless we're talking about the DeLorean.

Old 04-19-2014, 09:56 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,103,317 times
There are not many, if any cars built in the 80s or later that will appreciate in value. The muscle cars of the 60s and 70s are worth far more now than when new because people in their 50s-70s either want to go back in time by driving something they did when younger, or can afford to spend money on a vehicle that they would have like to have as a teen but couldn't afford it then. I had a 1972 El Camino from 2002-2007 and paid about $3,000 more than what it cost new, and spend about $5,000 more on it in modifications. People starting to drive at 16 in the 80s just didn't have the same kind of emotional attachment to cars, and now they don't even get a license at 16 any more.

Old 04-19-2014, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
There are not many, if any cars built in the 80s or later that will appreciate in value. The muscle cars of the 60s and 70s are worth far more now than when new because people in their 50s-70s either want to go back in time by driving something they did when younger, or can afford to spend money on a vehicle that they would have like to have as a teen but couldn't afford it then. I had a 1972 El Camino from 2002-2007 and paid about $3,000 more than what it cost new, and spend about $5,000 more on it in modifications. People starting to drive at 16 in the 80s just didn't have the same kind of emotional attachment to cars, and now they don't even get a license at 16 any more.
I've noticed that trend too. Kids of this generation are not as eager to drive as they were in earlier generations. I hope this doesn't have an ill effect on the future market of antique/classic cars.

I know if your car is old enough and rare enough, movie producers will pay you in order for them to use your car in the movie. I wouldn't mind renting a classic car out for that, as long as they're nice to it.

Old 04-19-2014, 11:03 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,607,367 times
When other cars become too expensive. When the average guy can no longer afford a Road Runner so he spends $25k on Plymouth Satellite instead.

Newer 'limited editon' cars are like baseball cards. Instead of sticking them in the spokes of their bicycle tires, everyone will tuck them away in mint condition..It'll be a buyers market in the future.

Certain years of certain cars will always have an audience...But..after the Baby boomers have died off, and Generation X has pissed away their inheritance, and gas is $10 bucks a gallon or whatever..who'll buy all these classic cars?

Old 04-19-2014, 11:40 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,690,674 times
Interesting question, ColdAilment . . .

I own a relatively original 1986 Jeep CJ-7 (or should I say it owns me?) that today is probably worth about 4 or 5 times the "sticker price" of almost 30 years ago.

Not quite sure why other than it seems to have some type of a Cult Following. It is as basic a vehicle as possible with few whistles and bells, however, it seems to defy the norms of appreciation nonetheless.

Old 04-20-2014, 01:26 AM

1,996 posts, read 4,768,557 times
I like this question, just think for a moment realistically speaking. Modern cars today that are all mainly made from lightweight HS steel and cheap plastic don't truly have any unique styling cues besides for a few modern American muscle (Challenger, Camaro, Mustang) which all look great IMO, and some high end European cars wont be considered a typical "Classic" in a sense like cars from the 20's-70's are today, but will be worth something in the future since maybe there will be a time when we wont ever see these modern muscles again due to ever increasing efforts to limit smog and improve MPG's. If this ever does occur I could see values for the modern muscle cars go up in value.

The 80's was mostly stale when it came to design, technology and quality. Very few cars are worth considering in that decade, while compared to many many cars of 30's even well into the 70's, are actually worth looking into. Once modern Aero design took over in the 90's, cars generally all started to look the same and share similar characteristics. They don't stand out like cars of the 50's-60's do, they are made with less steel and hardly any chrome trim, the quality was bad or sub par, just hop into a 50's and early 60's Chevy or Cadillac, the interiors were well made using high quality stitched fabrics, vinyls and leather with tight panel fittings and gaps, real metal chrome galore. Those were the days.

So a 2014 car in my mind, will be hard to consider it ever being a classic 30 years from now. They might look nice, but if they don't stir your soul, and create some sort of desire, then it doesn't matter. Certain cars are just more attractive than others and the more attractive usually means the more popular they are.

I could see the new Dodge Challengers and Chrysler 300's being future classics, but not the Dodge Darts or Chrysler 200's. This is where the problem lies. 60's Darts are popular and cool looking little cars, I can't say the same for the 2013 Dart. Modern cars all look and generally feel so similar that the days of when you could tell a Ford from a GM vehicle and a Chrysler product with distinct smells and construction quality are over.

Go to classic car shows in 10-20 years, I guarantee you all the cars that will be on display will still be cars from the 30's-70's. So by 2025 or so I would assume we would slowly start seeing some classic 90's stuff slowly creep in, or even from the early 2000's, but I don't think that will ever happen for reasons I just explained.

Old 04-20-2014, 06:14 AM

4,140 posts, read 3,046,164 times
Cars do not ever appreciate in value, especially if you consider inflation. The cost of restoration exceeds the selling price. It is wonderful that people are willing to restore old cars, but do not plan on ever recovering your money.

I think the days of buying a new 426 Hemi Belvedere, storing it for a few decades, and selling it for a fortune, are over. Furthermore, building a replica from a slant six Belvedere will never have the value of an original.

Old 04-20-2014, 07:46 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,307,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I would say the People starting to drive at 16 in the 80s would have an attachment to the Fox-body 5.0HO Mustangs and 3RD Gen Camaro IROC-Z's as they were the cars to have in HS/College.

Then again you can add Ford Bronco/Chevy K5 blazer, full-size 4x4 Trucks and Japanese sports cars and to that list in the 1980's and Early 90's like the Toyota Supras, Nissan 300 ZX and Honda CRX and then you had the mini truck and Low Rider craze at the time also.

As for any of these cars appreciating it is hard to say but right now their price have bottomed out and younger generations are not that big on cars and more into their I-Pad/Smartphone then driving so these cars may never become collectors items and are only worth what ever some is willing to pay for them and I do not see pre-2008 Barrett Jackson type prices for these newer "Classic" sports cars.

I mean $100K+ for a restored 1986 CRX Si, 1987 5.7 TPI Iroc-Z or 1989 Mustang GT 5.0 in 15-20 years from now seems kind a thing that is not going to happen I could be wrong though but who knows

Last edited by GTOlover; 04-20-2014 at 07:56 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive