Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 01:13 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,683,095 times

Advertisements

My Dad used to be a truck driver and he told us "If it says Speed Limit you can go over a bit. If it says Maximum Speed Limit then theyll ticket you for going 1 MPH over. When they say maximum speed limit thats exactly what they mean".

I got a ticket for doing 35 in a 30 up in Indiana back in 98 or so. Had to pay a $95 ticket plus court costs. Swore id never do that crap again even if it means i have to drive like someones grandma.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2014, 01:27 PM

794 posts, read 818,416 times
I'm one of (if not the) dreaded DC/NoVa/MD drivers people often talk about - very fast, my time is more important than yours etc. Please feel free to ask me anything, I'm happy to answer any and all questions

Old 04-28-2014, 01:40 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,967,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
40 in a 70 is NOT safe and you are driving like an idiot when you do it, no matter what your smug self righteous opinion is
he didnt say 40 in a 70. He said sometimes he'll do 40 in a 45 or 60 in a 70. It only takes an extra second to fully read what someone posts. I suggest you practice.

Old 04-28-2014, 02:13 PM

392 posts, read 919,269 times
I always wonder why people have to know the reason for other people's driving speed. Will it make it easier to handle?
I spoke to professional drivers (really good and safe drivers), who knew when to speed up and when to slow down. And they are usually much easier on fellow drivers. They tend to assume, that these other people who are not driving up to your standards, have a valid reason to do so. If they are "too fast" - well, maybe a loved one is in a hospital, or they are missing the plane, or love of their life... If they are driving "too slow" - they are new to the area, they are not in a hurry, they are not feeling well and are going to see a dr, or they are driving a heavy loaded vehicle, or a different car today that they need to adjust to... There may be lots of valid reasons, and it is better for everyone's well being to concentrate on that, but it is of course easier to think that every other driver is an idiot. Just find a way to pass the person you are not in agreement with (weather you pass by them or let them pass by you). And I agree that most people tend to drive slower with age - which is not necessary age related, but rather experience related. My father has been a professional driver for more than 40 years, and I'd say he slows down now about a mile a year He's seen too many car crashes in his life. He personally was only involved in 2 minor accidents (both not his fault). I think he is onto something.

I also noticed that people tend to drive slower and abide more by the speed limit rules if they were recently stopped by police and given a ticket.

Old 04-28-2014, 03:56 PM

1,205 posts, read 1,970,584 times
I have friends in the police force. I've done a ride along and it was a real eye opener. Most cops around here give you 10 over, then you're getting a ticket. Driving like an idiot or much faster than the majority gets their attention also. Everyone from out of state thinks they target out of staters but we ran traffic at night and could see no plates. But, it just so happens the majority were Jersey cars headed up to ski. We even pulled over a Jersey state trooper and that's where I learned about professional courtesy. Right or wrong (I vote wrong), cops don't ticket other cops, even when going 60 in a 35.
They try not to be dickheads if traffic is flowing well at above posted speeds. They more look for someone who stands out from the pack or drives recklessly. They are great at estimating your speed visually and then lighting you up with the radar.
Most police departments do ride alongs for the public. I highly recomend it. You'll learn a lot and get to see their view. It does get them interested if someone is driving very slow for the flow of traffic. It's either an older driver, someone drunk, or someone stoned.
Find the lane with a comfortable speed for you and enjoy the ride.

Old 04-28-2014, 04:11 PM

15,427 posts, read 25,801,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Maryland View Post
I'm one of (if not the) dreaded DC/NoVa/MD drivers people often talk about - very fast, my time is more important than yours etc. Please feel free to ask me anything, I'm happy to answer any and all questions
This thread is about the slowpokes. There are plenty of those in the DC area. There's the Virginians who drive 45 mph on I-66 inside the Beltway even when there's no traffic. There's also plenty of them going slow on Route 7 where the speed is 55. Then there's the Marylanders on Norbeck Rd that drive 40 in the 50 zone, even when there's no traffic. We could mention the Marylanders on 270 too if we wanted to. DC has their share on roads like 295. Can you answer why they go so dang slow, for no apparent reason at all?

Old 04-28-2014, 04:23 PM

1,276 posts, read 1,774,530 times
So OP., based on your question, I'm curious to know just exactly how many speeding tickets you have gotten? After you answer, round up a few of those who you imply a complaint about for driving below the speed limit and ask them how many they have gotten? You'll likely have your answer.

Old 04-28-2014, 04:24 PM

2,458 posts, read 2,475,255 times
A lot of people have the mistaken belief that if you dwaddle around at 35mph or so, you're getting better gas mileage.

Old 04-28-2014, 04:24 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,395,538 times
old age and enormous fear of driving on the freeway. plus some first class psycho driving by young angry people on our freeways.
road rage a major problem here.

Old 04-28-2014, 04:31 PM

434 posts, read 684,546 times
Originally Posted by don1945
Yep, I drive at the speed that I feel comfortable at. Sometimes I go 40 in a 45 or 60 on the 70mph interstate. Not all of us left home late and are rushing to get somewhere, some of us plan ahead.

However, on a two lane road I do drive the speed limit to not inconvenience other drivers who have somewhere to be. But if someone gets on my ass, my foot gets lighter on the gas pedal.

Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
So you're smug and passive-aggressive. Got it.
Actually, the defensive driving course I have to take for work states that if someone is tailgating you then the best tactic is to slow down. So, Don is doing the right thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive