Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2014, 05:47 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,118,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by armourereric View Post
When I bought my last car, the salesman whipped out of his desk a write-up putting him on probation with the threat of termination if he did not get his 3rd party extended warrantee sign up rate over 40% within 30 days. I wonder if that is a new stunt.
Wow, so he tried to make you feel guilty that you would be partially responsible if he lost his job for not buying an ext warranty? That's pretty low.

A lot of you are saying that the dealer took your keys... what for? I'm assuming you're trading in a car? Even when I've done that, I've never given them the keys during the sales portion of the transaction, I've always done it at the end when I've already agreed on price and all that, and then I'll mention I have a trade in.

I just checked the paperwork for the vehicle we just bought... yep, got dinged for the $50 "documentary fee." Also got dinged for a $40 inspection fee... but the sticker on the car is from 3 months ago. Somehow I doubt they're going to mail me an updated sticker LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2014, 06:06 PM

1,935 posts, read 4,781,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
Never had a problem with a dealer. I already know the finance manager's job is to upsell on the back end, and all you have to do is say no. It's their job and they won't take it personally, so I don't. I get what I want and it's not stressful or difficult.
They will take it personally because when you walk off the lot, 1) they lose out on that potential commission, which reduces their family's income, and 2) they're likely to get harassed by their higher-ups about how $xxx of the owner's money just walked off the lot because it costs $xxx in advertising to bring each customer onto the lot.

I should know. I sold cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
It mystifies me why any retail outlet would ever treat potential customers this way. Can you imagine getting this kind of treatment at the supermarket or clothing store or bookstore?
What is it about the car culture that fosters this kind of hucksterism?
It's a huge purchase. You probably wouldn't bother trying to get 2% off of a 99-cent bag of carrots, because that's only about two cents... but you would try to get 2% off of a $40,000 car because that's $800.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
That crap where you are all like, "How much is the car?"
And they ask, "What payment do you want?"

WTF IS THAT BS?
They figure that if they can get you on a payment, the actual price of the car can be disguised.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Last is what happened to me twice.
When they did not have the car I wanted and tried to get me to buy the one they had on the lot.

"I want an XLR-V."
"Oh, we don't have that, but why don't you get the regular one and after a few years you can upgrade?" WTF?!!!!

"I want a charcoal grey 4Runner."
"We have a white one. You should buy the white one. Oh, and you're lying about the price. Why don't you take this white one?"
Double WTF??!!!!!

For my brother, he wanted (and would have bought that day) a Cayenne with a stick shift.
Dealer guy was like, "Well, no one ever wants those, so we don't have one. Probably no one has one." Would not even look it up for dealer trade.
In 2 seconds, my brother found 3 in Houston (we were in Dallas). Total crap!
Don't blame the sales person. They're trained and required to "sell what they can see, not see what they can sell". If they don't, they'll get fired.

Old 05-04-2014, 06:33 PM

861 posts, read 1,337,710 times
Can someone explain this......

Many years ago, I went to an Infiniti dealer to buy a car. I wanted the I30t but the salesman kept insisting I get the I30 which was cheaper by $3500 IIRC. When I would say I wanted the HID headlights, he would dismiss it and say "you don't need it cause you don't drive at night that much." He kept shooting me down on every option on the "t" that I wanted and kept pressuring me to get the I30.

Any ideas why? I thought salesmen got a higher commission for selling a more expensive car?

Old 05-04-2014, 08:20 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,249,521 times
Not sure if my question was noticed...

I have noticed on some new cars my area that the dealer will put an additional window sticker out from the original... it will have a list of some dealer add-on options, then at the bottom it will have another that says "adjusted market value" and it will range from $995 up to $1995. What in the heck is this???

This is an area with no money, how could an area where people have low paying jobs have an increased price? One dealer inparticular is bad for doing this.

Old 05-04-2014, 08:23 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,118,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseestorm View Post

I have noticed on some new cars my area that the dealer will put an additional window sticker out from the original... it will have a list of some dealer add-on options, then at the bottom it will have another that says "adjusted market value" and it will range from $995 up to $1995. What in the heck is this???

This is an area with no money, how could an area where people have low paying jobs have an increased price? One dealer inparticular is bad for doing this.
The window sticker as it comes from the factory only lists the features and options that it came with from the factory. When the dealer gets it, they may add things to it that would not be included on the original window sticker, usually options that are easy to add but the car simply wasn't ordered that way.

They install those options and then sell the car with those add ons (and added cost.)

Old 05-04-2014, 08:27 PM

861 posts, read 1,337,710 times
Quote:

As funny as this may sound, I remember seeing "$2000 AMV" on Dodge Neons when they first came out. It's nothing more than "we don't think MSRP is high enough so we'll charge you more" BS.

Old 05-04-2014, 08:51 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,799,271 times
Quote:

They want more profit.

Lots if new cars have less margin then people think.

They want to start higher so they can show a bigger discount.

Old 05-04-2014, 08:53 PM

1,935 posts, read 4,781,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkobe View Post
Can someone explain this......

Many years ago, I went to an Infiniti dealer to buy a car. I wanted the I30t but the salesman kept insisting I get the I30 which was cheaper by $3500 IIRC. When I would say I wanted the HID headlights, he would dismiss it and say "you don't need it cause you don't drive at night that much." He kept shooting me down on every option on the "t" that I wanted and kept pressuring me to get the I30.

Any ideas why? I thought salesmen got a higher commission for selling a more expensive car?
Not necessarily. We'd get huge commissions selling cheap used cars and we'd be lucky to get a $100 or $200 "mini" on a brand new car even if it was $35,000.

Quote:

Oh, we were told to say something like this:

"That's a price adjustment which sets the price of the car at a level which balances supply and demand. At this price we'll sell the inventory we have; were it lower, the car would sell out and we'd never have any on our lots for people who wanted them. Were it higher, the car would sit around and nobody would buy it."

Ultimately it was a BS line item just to pad the profit margin of the dealership, so don't ever pay it. If they won't lop it off of the price with no hassle to you, walk away.

Old 05-04-2014, 08:57 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,799,271 times
If you don't like doc fees negotiate the bottom line. I do not care if they have an 800 doc fee. If I want to pay 25000 bottom line for a car they can write it up as 24200 sale price plus 800 doc. It is going to be on there no matter what.

Waiting until the end of the whole process to say "I gotta trade" is just an annoying way to lengthen the whole process and let them know that you are difficult to deal with and doesn't save you money. It just wastes time. Which is money.

If someone holds your car keys. Call the police.

Old 05-05-2014, 12:16 AM

4,794 posts, read 12,387,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
The window sticker as it comes from the factory only lists the features and options that it came with from the factory. When the dealer gets it, they may add things to it that would not be included on the original window sticker, usually options that are easy to add but the car simply wasn't ordered that way.

They install those options and then sell the car with those add ons (and added cost.)
I just saw that today wandering around a Lexus lot. All the cars had a sticker next to the main sticker that added $795 to the MSRP for a dealer installed lojack.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive