Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2016, 07:14 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
That's an easy one. 1967 Lamborghini Miura.
A guy I worked with way back had one he bought for $3000 in the 1980s. It was wrecked (hit a tree). He slowly restored it over the years and finally got it completed. Then he tried to insure it so he could drive it and discovered the insurance payment was more than his house payment. So it just sat in his garage and occasionally went to car shows on a trailer but rarely - maybe once every few years).

The OP tasked us with choosing our favorite supercar not with making a list of every supercar we can think of.

It is hard to pick only one. For me, the choice would change depending on the day. For me I guess today it would be a Falcon F7. Not the greatest supercar ever made, but hand made, fairly unique and made in my home state. Tomorrow it will probably be a different car.

Frankly I woudl never buy a supercar unless I got one like my friend got his Miura. I can get a car with amazing performance and looks - more than I will ever be able to use- for under $100K If I had more to spend on a car, I would donate it to charity. I could never drive around in a $500,000 car, I would feel guilty all the time, and especially when I drove through neighborhoods of destitute people. I am not even sure I could handle owning an $80,000 car. However neither of thoose situations will ever be a concern for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2016, 07:32 AM

973 posts, read 915,331 times
Reventon or Aventador. The Saleen S7 is also another...but I'd rather have the Lambos

Old 11-10-2016, 07:40 AM

1,665 posts, read 975,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flynavyj View Post
Supercars have to be rare, and prohibitively expensive...I'm more of a classical guy, so I'm going to jump at the Ferrari 250GTO.

or the Toyota 2000GT
Now THOSE beauties have some fabulous curves!!!

Old 11-10-2016, 09:30 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,255,993 times
I would like a Cadillac ELR. I think they're beautiful... and rare.
It should be easily attainable. Prices took a big dump almost as soon as they started trying to sell them.

Old 11-10-2016, 10:25 AM

3,754 posts, read 4,240,557 times
McLaren F1. Assuming I could actually comfortably afford one, I'd drive it too.

Otherwise, I'd go with either a Porsche 918 Spyder (what I think is probably the most capable all around supercar ever created) or the McLaren P1. It's not as usable as the 918, and not quite as quick around a racetrack, but it looks absolutely amazing, otherworldly.

Old 11-10-2016, 10:55 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,536,243 times
I'm not into super cars as much as I was but the new 350GT peaks my interest!

Old 11-10-2016, 11:16 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
I agree that I would most likely not buy a supercar even if I had the money. I would be more likely to buy a 1995 Mitsubishi Spyder 3000GT vr-4; or a Jensen FF or a convertible interceptor. I am more into something with a coolness factor than pure speed and handling. Speed and handling you can use maybe once or twice a year, ten times at the extreme high end. Coolness is there every single day.

Old 11-10-2016, 12:28 PM

2,983 posts, read 3,092,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I agree that I would most likely not buy a supercar even if I had the money. I would be more likely to buy a 1995 Mitsubishi Spyder 3000GT vr-4; or a Jensen FF or a convertible interceptor. I am more into something with a coolness factor than pure speed and handling. Speed and handling you can use maybe once or twice a year, ten times at the extreme high end. Coolness is there every single day.

I think an Aston Vanquish convertible is pretty cool and can be used all the time as a cool car, with the speed and handling (that is above my daily "needs" there when I want it). So yeah, had I the means, I'd buy one in a heartbeat, even if it was just to look at in the driveway. I'd also love a Ford GT as a track day car, not as a daily driver, but for those days when I feel like really flogging a fast, beautiful car around the track like it was meant to be. Could I do that with an old CRX? Of course, but would it be the same? Not a chance.

Old 11-10-2016, 09:21 PM

8,342 posts, read 6,431,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I use speed and handling every day in my 98 Integra GSR, not a supercar but a very nice driving car.

Old 11-11-2016, 02:15 AM

3,498 posts, read 2,663,404 times
My next dream car will be a car that I can drive without the fear that a rock chip will depreciate its value. I don’t want a collector car, just a car that I can drive and enjoy. I don’t want a car that I have to squad down to enter or exit, but still has a sports car feel. Most of all, a car that I can afford and drive everyday and feel good about it. I’m in the market for a 2016 AMG C63 S.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive